New TV series Homecoming needle-dropping classic scores of Williams, Goldsmith, Barry etc.

TownerFan

Forgive me if it's already been reported here somewhere else, but I think this is interesting:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/8482923/homecoming-score-soundtrack-amazon-series-julia-roberts-music

What do you think? I haven't seen the show so I don't know if this works or not. But I think it's a (sad) sign of the times, especially when the reasoning behind the choice, according to the showrunner, is "I think it's unfair to ask any composer to ape these classic scores".

...I'm ok with it actually.

Not necessarily his reasoning, but the choice itself.

Instead of yet another boring, crap TV score nobody remembers or cares about that's barely functional.  And instead of eye-rolling too "on the nose" pop song needle drops.

There are a lot of series and films that I see where the music is so much in the background or generic that I wonder why they bothered getting a composer in the first place.

I agree with that quote in that if you've got a temp score of existing music and you don't want the actual score to deviate, then just license the music and let potential composers work on something that actually wants original material.

I personally don't hae a problem wih the approach they took, although it sounds like a nightmare for the music editors.

Red Dwarf mixed library music with Goodall's music all the time due to the cost of hiring Goodall and i read about another series which used library music for less important scenes to allow the composer to focus on the significant bits in a time-pressured production.

Esmail: "That's my production value. I don't have dragons, I don't have period outfits. What I think is important is to spend it on music, it's the heart and soul of the show."

That is a rare and much appreciated view. More important people in the business should think like that. The whole matter is sad on the one hand and great on the other, I think.

Honestly, if I was a director, I'd take whole Jerry Goldsmith scores (namely the great scores with the terrible movies) and use them for my movies.

Sam Esmail, thats' the MR. ROBOT guy, right? This kinda makes sense, because he uses lots of existing music in that show as well (including film music), and he does it wonderfully, so I'm sure this will all work out fine. This series was not on my radar, but it is now.

Anybody watch this show?  Is it any good?

I love Mr Robot so much, I'm curious about this purely for Esmail's involvement (though the cast looks great too!)

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished the show a few days ago. Fine series, although the conspiracy itself is a little lacklustre and un-exciting. Hopefully, they get to explore the universe a bit more in a second season.

Absolutely ADORE the needle drop approach and execution. The Williams/EIGER SANCTION bit was particularly moving, and very well edited.