Thomas Newman's Tolkien (2019)

crocodile

1 minute ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Howard Shore wasn't available?

Newman will have to do. No problem.

I'm pretty confident Shore would have turned this down.

Karol

Interesting... Newman hasn't been on my radar for a long time. His last score that I enjoyed was Passengers.

If this is a serious biographical film, I'm thinking less funky instruments? Maybe something along the lines of Meet Joe Black or Little Women.

13 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Interesting... Newman hasn't been on my radar for a long time. His last score that I enjoyed was Passengers.

If this is a serious biographical film, I'm thinking less funky instruments? Maybe something along the lines of Meet Joe Black or Little Women.

If this film could inspire Newman to write something along the lines of Meet Joe Black or Oscar and Lucinda I would be very happy.

40 minutes ago, Incanus said:

If this film could inspire Newman to write something along the lines of Meet Joe Black or Oscar and Lucinda I would be very happy.

It's been a while since a really really great Thomas Newman score but it's on my list.

Karol

Somehow I doubt this will be the film to give us that score. But I'm always open to giving the Coolman a chance.

• 5 months later...

Tracklist:

818WM6%2B-xML._SL1500_.jpg

1 Dragons 1:14
2 Impecunious Circumstances 1:26
3 The Great War 1:42
4 The TCBS 2:48
5 White As Bone 3:29
6 John Ronald 1:33
7 Vinátta (Friendship) 0:42
8 Rugby 0:49
9 Kings and Queens 1:25
10 Army of the Dead 1:48
11 Lúthien Tinúviel 1:45
12 "A Good Man in the Dirt" 2:45
13 Dutch Courage 1:46
14 Sunlit 1:15
15 Starlit 2:26
16 Everything That's Good 1:18
17 Geoffrey 1:21
18 Eik (Oak) 1:37
19 The Ascanius 1:53
20 Black Rider 3:21
21 Scuppered (Ancient Things) 2:17
22 Other Sorts of Scars 2:51
23 Dark Magic 1:17
24 Fellowship 5:06
25 Helheimr (End Crawl) 3:30

52 minutes

Physical CD on Friday May 3rd:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NRDV69J

Digital version on the same day:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QR1HKNC/

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/1460037819

https://play.google.com/store/music/album?id=Bbzescqffsx4gt6cde22xgegfwm

etc

56 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I mean... KK's "meh" is certainly valid.  Different ears, different expectations, etc. etc.

I'm not exactly raving about it, but I was digging it while I was listening.

Even for autopilot Newman, there's a little too much syrup and too little flavour for my tastes. Though I wasn't really expecting anything new for what seems like a fairly by-the-book drama anyway.

Yeah, I'd say it seems more like auto-pilot Newman than anything too breakthrough and exciting. 

Newman is quite an interesting composer, IMO. Between delectable WALL-E, headlining Finding Nemo and Shawshank Redemption and enjoyable Bridge of Spies, he's really one of my favourite film composers in those instances. However, things got a little too Newman-y for me with, say, Saving Mr. Banks. I'll listen to Tolkien once over, but I don't expect too many other times based on what I hear.

6 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Its...fine.

What's that woodwind instrument at 2:53?

Phil Todd on his EWI, I reckon.

I'm trying to withhold judgement until I hear the cue in the context of the score as a whole, but yeah, it is a little schmaltzy-sounding.

13 minutes ago, Sharky said:

Phil Todd on his EWI, I reckon.

I'm trying to withhold judgement until I heart the cue in the context of the score as a whole, but yeah, it is a little schmaltzy-sounding.

Sharky's back!

29 minutes ago, Quintus said:

So, how are the big set piece cues in this? I'm expecting huge brass, drums and ethereal choir, for the part where JRR goes out onto his front lawn to tell over amorous fans his deplorable cultus to bugger off.

:D

31 minutes ago, Quintus said:

So, how are the big set piece cues in this? I'm expecting huge brass, drums and ethereal choir, for the part where JRR goes out onto his front lawn to tell over amorous fans to bugger off.

I don't think the film will show us those fantastic years when Tolkien had to drive hordes of raving hippie fans from his front lawn with a broom.

I think the film really centers around his early life up to and including world war 1. The latest we’ll see is him scribbling “in a hole in the ground...” on a piece of paper but I doubt it will even go that far. 

Noo, in the biopicverse it will be his way of making the trenches seem more friendly: imagining they're hobbitholes.

On 4/23/2019 at 12:43 PM, Disco Stu said:
On 4/23/2019 at 2:55 AM, Koray Savas said:

No love for Bridge Of Spies?

It's only appreciated by those with a more refined taste

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Bridge of Spies.

29 minutes ago, Sharky said:

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Bridge of Spies.

Woah. How did you quote someone replying to a quote without the original quote disappearing? As it automatically just did for this post. 

6 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Woah. How did you quote someone replying to a quote without the original quote disappearing? As it automatically just did for this post.

1 minute ago, Sharky said:

I think I did it by quoting Disco's post first and then Koray's. Just one of those happy accidents.

You can simply do so by first placing the cursor inside the "quote" box, before quoting a second post.

8 hours ago, Jay said:
9 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

There are no cursors on mobile!

Sure there are. 

Just tap inside the quote box and press quote again for the next text you want to add.

It's not difficult!