The Circumvention of the Hans Zimmer Network

thestat

Clearly by now, the Hans Zimmer style has influenced all aspects of the contemporary media environment. It can be a force for good or a terrible Orwellian network that entraps you.

I am so happy to see people like Cliff Martinez, Max Richter etc emerge as musical thought leaders to undo the stupidity of HZ influenced scores. Now we are seeing this everywhere with composers like Etienne Forget in France or Thorsten Quaeschning doing amazing electro-acoustic work that shames the Balfes of our day that rely only on copysampling and temp tracking for their livelihood.

Let's rebel against the stupidity of contemporary scores and look for innovation!

I see in this new minimalism a new way to rethink the challenges that HZ brought about and try to make something better out of it than the commercial shit that Balfe for example pumps out with no artistry.

I'll let Grey do the ripping. But you do realize many of the names you've mentioned bear great influence from Zimmer right? Does that make them just as evil?

1 minute ago, KK said:

I'll let Grey do the ripping. But you do realize many of the names you've mentioned bear great influence from Zimmer right? Does that make them just as evil?

Temp track love from directors?

Well no. Folks like Richter, even in their non-film work, have clearly been deliberately inspired by the stylings of Zimmer in some form. The man is just a very influential guy, especially in the crossover music realm.

I don't see anything objectionable here, other than the digs at Balfe - there is a trend lately of ragging on him to the point of bullying that makes my skin crawl.  Zimmer's music has led to lots of bad copies, there's no doubt. He innovates and everyone else is forced to copy.  That's not good for anyone. 

29 minutes ago, TGP said:

I don't see anything objectionable here, other than the digs at Balfe - there is a trend lately of ragging on him to the point of bullying that makes my skin crawl.  Zimmer's music has led to lots of bad copies, there's no doubt. He innovates and everyone else is forced to copy.  That's not good for anyone. 

26 minutes ago, TGP said:

There is nothing that our friend thestat has said here which would raise my hackles, then or now!

Way to go, asshole! You took JWFan expectations and...subverted them, man! You're the Rian Johnson of this FUCKIN' board, man, you broke this forum! 

The absolute shit that TGP tried to pass off as a compelling rebuttal to thestat's post has greatly angered many JWFans... and underwhelmed/disappointed many of the general public. Trust me, a significant portion of JWFans are done with this nonsense until change at the top is perceived. What a mess.

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

You listen to film music?

Longer than anyone here including Ricard and KM.