What are your favorite movies of the year so far?

John

The year is coming to an end, but with a few movies still to come. What has everyone seen and liked a lot so far?

My top three:

Isle of Dogs

Incredibles 2

Avengers: Infinity War

Honorable mentions: A Quiet Place, Paddington 2, Ant-Man and the Wasp, Ready Player One

Darnit, how did I forget Paddington 2? Wonderful film!

Edit: okay, so technically, it's a 2017 film, but it received a January 2018 release date in the US.

30 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Of the ones I've seen ...

- Hereditary

- Upgrade

- Sicario 2: Day Of The Soldado

Glad to see someone else recognize the quality of the Netflix film UPGRADE (my 14th place). See, we CAN agree on something once in a while, Alex. I also thought SICARIO 2 was a good movie (27th place) and I thought HEREDITARY was OK -- but not quite the thing it was made out to be (46th place).

9 minutes ago, Thor said:

I thought HEREDITARY was OK -- but not quite the thing it was made out to be (46th place).

I've found out that some people didn't like it because, according to them, Hereditary isn't a horror movie but a drama. However, to me, it's precisely the drama that made the horror much more real. It's a shame about the very last scene though ... Things should have been kept vague.

9 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

First Man as No. 36? Whoah.

That's relatively high on a list that counts about 130 movies so far. But yes -- I was not as thrilled with this film as everyone else.

Many people did. I found it a good film, but only something that will compete for an 'honourable mention' spot (at most) by the end of the year. Loved the sound design, though -- should get the Oscar, IMO.

I've unfortunately had to skip most movies at the cinema this year due to my back injury and my hearing damage, so consequently all I saw was Ready Player One and Avengers: Infinity War. It's bummed me so much that ones I'd ordinarily rush out to see like The Predator or Halloween, well I had to give them a miss.

I really hope I'm better next year because I really want to see Avengers 4 and Godzilla.

I keep forgetting that you're pretty into Marvel films Alex.

My favourite 2018 film so far is Roma.

Off the top of my head, others that I've enjoyed:

Hereditary

Mandy

Suspiria

You Were Never Really Here

A Quiet Place

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Sicario 2: Day Of The Soldado

Was this any good? It didn't look great to me.

6 minutes ago, KK said:

Someone who is pretty into Marvel flicks likes Doctor Strange, Ant Man, Black Panther, ... However, I am not that person. 

6 minutes ago, KK said:

Was this any good? It didn't look great to me.

I enjoyed it much better than Villeneuve's film, so you will probably hate it because it's not Villeneuve. Remember the tension of the convoy scene from the first one? Well, that kind of tension is all over Sicario 2

Is Infinity War really all that far off from those other ones?

And I see. From the trailers, it looked like it was all over-the-top, gung-ho violence. Villeneuve's brooding tension is what made the first Sicario so effective for me.Plus it didn't seem to have Deakins' shine either. But maybe I'll check it out sometime.

Yes, not all Marvel movies are equal. The difference lies mostly in the way the same thing is told. 

And, yes, Soldado is pretty violent, but so are the drug wars. 

1 hour ago, Norma's Corpse said:

I've unfortunately had to skip most movies at the cinema this year due to my back injury and my hearing damage, so consequently all I saw was Ready Player One and Avengers: Infinity War. It's bummed me so much that ones I'd ordinarily rush out to see like The Predator or Halloween, well I had to give them a miss.

I really hope I'm better next year because I really want to see Avengers 4 and Godzilla.

Take it from yer old palsie walsie, ya ain’t missin’ much skipping Halloween or Predator.

2 hours ago, KK said:

My favourite 2018 film so far is Roma.

Off the top of my head, others that I've enjoyed:

Hereditary

Mandy

Suspiria

You Were Never Really Here

A Quiet Place

A good selection of films. I've not seen the SUSPIRIA remake yet, but I'm seeing it next week. I have high expectations!

Not as thrilled as everyone else with HEREDITARY, as previously mentioned, but MANDY is absolutely fantastic (no. 3), and so is A QUIET PLACE (7) and YOU WERE NEVER REALLY HERE (20).

My colleagues were not particularly thrilled with ROMA (they saw it when it premiered in Venice), but it's Cuaron. I need to see it regardless.

I would be thrilled to know if anyone watch anything other than Hollywood movies and blockbusters here. But maybe we'll save that for the annual round-up of films. There are still a couple of months left.

Maybe taper your expectations a bit for Suspiria , as I did come out of that one a little disappointed with how certain things were handled. But as a whole, it stuck with me and is definitely one of the more interesting films of the year.

Roma was so simple in premise and yet beautifully evocative. It's the antithesis of Gravity. I was quite taken with it. And I hope it gets its due recognition.

22 hours ago, Thor said:

Here's my ongoing 2018 list, ranked:

https://mubi.com/lists/2018-films-ranked

Wow, you never give 5 stars to any movie (if it was your ratings below the titles after clicking on your profile pic?). It's like your saving that rating for very very very special movies then.

22 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Perhaps there isn't a 2018 movie that deserves 5 stars?

More that. I actually had three 5-star movies in 2017: https://mubi.com/lists/2017-films-ranked

But by golly, 4 stars is a great ranking (many of the Top 10 movies would have been 4 1/2 if MUBI had operated with half stars), and all the films in the top are great.

There is one movie in 2018 that I would give 5 stars to: Phantom Thread.

My definition of the 5 stars system would be as follows (with recent prominent examples):

5 stars: a flawless film of outstanding quality with unique content (Phantom Thread)

4 stars: a nearly flawless film that reaches all its goals but to a less outstanding and unique degree (Blade Runner 2049, mother!, Infinity War)

3 stars: a well-made film that is not completely flawless or not very innovative (The Post, The Shape of Water, Ready Player One)

2 stars: a good to okay film with a misleading concept or conspicious flaws (Justice League, Ferdinand)

1 stars: a completely poor film or a film that has one or several catastrophical flaws (Death Wish)

You see, the bar is much higher in this case, so 5 stars is the VIP rating only for the best of the best.

On 11/10/2018 at 1:01 PM, KK said:

And I see. From the trailers, it looked like it was all over-the-top, gung-ho violence. Villeneuve's brooding tension is what made the first Sicario so effective for me.Plus it didn't seem to have Deakins' shine either. But maybe I'll check it out sometime.

I’ve heard that it’s completely mismarketed and actually much in the vein of the first film. I still need to see it myself. 

1. Mandy

2. Mission: Impossible - Fallout

3. Isle of Dogs

• 3 weeks later...

Heavy Trip.  It's basically a Finnish heavy metal Blues Brothers.  And it's fucking hilarious.

The Catcher Was a Spy was excellent, and it's a shame people got the wrong idea about what kind of movie it's supposed to be, because it should really be getting a lot more press.

I can't say anything else really has left that much of an impression on me yet, but this is about the time of year I start paying attention again.

I've watched very few 2018 movies so far, but one of the 5 or 6 I watched, I would say BlacKKKlansman was probably best, and I also found Mission Impossible to be a very enjoyable popcorn flick. I thought Bohemian Rhapsody was as conventional and dull as movies come and First Man had terrific space sequences (really terrific), but I found the movie lacking otherwise, somewhat.

On 11/9/2018 at 4:01 PM, Disco Stu said:

Paddington 2

Paddington 2

Paddington 2

I was going to say Paddington 2

But I loved A Quiet Place and Crazy Rich Asians.

On 11/12/2018 at 10:49 AM, Brundlefly said:

There is one movie in 2018 that I would give 5 stars to: Phantom Thread.

My definition of the 5 stars system would be as follows (with recent prominent examples):

5 stars: a flawless film of outstanding quality with unique content (Phantom Thread)

4 stars: a nearly flawless film that reaches all its goals but to a less outstanding and unique degree (Blade Runner 2049, mother!, Infinity War)

3 stars: a well-made film that is not completely flawless or not very innovative (The Post, The Shape of Water, Ready Player One)

2 stars: a good to okay film with a misleading concept or conspicious flaws (Justice League, Ferdinand)

1 stars: a completely poor film or a film that has one or several catastrophical flaws (Death Wish)

You see, the bar is much higher in this case, so 5 stars is the VIP rating only for the best of the best.

If mother is a 4 star film then 4 star is the bottom for me. 

3 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

If mother is a 4 star film then 4 star is the bottom for me. 

Your opinions are so predictably wrong at times. I'm quite impressed there is a movie in 2017 that actually scares the audience, which leads to a Golden Rasp nomination for Jennifer Fucking Lawrence!

8 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Your opinions are so predictably wrong at times. I'm quite impressed there is a movie in 2017 that actually scares the audience, which leads to a Golden Rasp nomination for Jennifer Fucking Lawrence!

They ate the baby. 4 stars. And for my opinion its 100 % correct for me. Personally the CinemaScore works for me.

You probably think Blair Witch is amazing too.

Eighth Grade

A Quiet Place

Annihilation

Hereditary

I haven't seen that many though.

In fact, the only other 2018 films I've seen are

Cloverfield Paradox - terrible

Black Panther - not good

Game Night - decent comedy

Red Sparrow - mostly meh

Ready Player One - decent enough

Blockers - good comedy

I Feel Pretty - not good comedy, took itself too seriously

Avengers Infinity War - good

Overboard - pretty bad

Deadpool 2 - good

Solo - meh

Ocean's 8 - terrible

Incredibles 2 - great!

Tag - pretty good

Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom - bad

And-Man and The Wasp - great!

The Spy Who Dumped Me - pretty bad

Crazy Rich Asians - pretty bad, very slow and boring

I've only seen 19 movies from 2018, and it will likely only be 20 by the end (only plan on seeing Fantastic Beasts in theaters).

I don't want to spoil anything for the Fannies (JWFan Awards) this year, but I will say this:  it's not A Wrinkle in Time!

Usually I don't catch up on the previous year until the following year.  As of last year's Fannies, I had seen 15 movies from 2017, and now I've seen 27.

Mission: Impossible - Fallout and Ready Player One for me. I would imagine First Man also would be a favourite, but I never got around to seeing it in the cinema (which is a shame, apparently it's great on the big screen).

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

The interesting art and prestige films that come out at the end of the year are generally where my favorites come from and I won't be seeing most of them until 2019.

Oscar fodder films, maybe. But those are usually the least interesting for me. I would be surprised if any film in the next month would do anything with my current top 10, from what I know of December premieres over here (one of the most lacklustre Decembers in years). Guess I'm most curious about László Nemes' new film SUNSET of those.