Tim Burden's Movie Magic - 3 episodes with Mike Matessino (discussing DRACULA and THE HARRY POTTER COLLECTION) now available

Jay

2 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

I haven't even seen HP 5, 6, 7, and 8. 😂

I lost all interest when JW left the franchise. 

I won't vouch for 5, but 6 and 7 I think are good movies. 8 is okay.

I've heard the first Nicholas Hooper score, however... Terrible. Not even comparable to JW's work. Patrick Doyle's GoF was okay. 

I'm not at all familiar with AD's scores.

2 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I'd buy expansions of all the rest.  I've even come around on Desplat's scores!

Not that anyone asked, but here's my HP score preference

Just now, Josh500 said:

Wonder whether MM would even want to get involved in the non-JW HP scores... Somehow I doubt it.

But I'm sure they'll all get released eventually. 

Yeah I wouldn't expect him to do it, but it would be outstanding if he did. 

1 minute ago, TSMefford said:

Yeah I wouldn't expect him to do it, but it would be outstanding if he did. 

The reason he probably wouldn't is that he would be busy with the Star Wars prequels and Indiana Jones! :)

After he redid every Indy and SW from scratch (!), he can do whatever he wants until the post-2005 JW scores are profitable to release.

The additional price of post-2005 scores is only a factor for the small specialty boutique labels we know and love.

If Disney hired Mike to do all Star Wars and Indy, the cost for Indy 4 and the Star Wars sequels wouldn't matter at all, they'd just pay for everything and that'd be that.

The small labels just literally couldn't afford the fees even if they could get a license.

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

The additional price of post-2005 scores is only a factor for the small specialty boutique labels we know and love.

If Disney hired Mike to do all Star Wars and Indy, the cost for Indy 4 and the Star Wars sequels wouldn't matter at all, they'd just pay for everything and that'd be that.

The small labels just literally couldn't afford the fees even if they could get a license.

I think this would take both John Williams himself and his agency along with Matessino to involve these big studios to get the gig going. I believe Kathy Kennedy at Lucasfilm  has been very supportive and appreciate of the recent Jurassic Park set. So its just a matter of right timing, nudging and studio interests (usually fueled by the film sequels for both Indy and Star Wars saga) that could be tied in in reviving the projects. 

10 hours ago, Gurkensalat said:

I am a bit saddened to hear that Mike prepared high Rez 5.1 sources, only to not release this level of quality. I know that I am in a small minority, but I am an avid fan of multichannel music on SACD, DVD Audio or Blu-ray Audio. It would have been perfect if they would have included the 5.1. tracks, like the LOTR recordings did. 

@Jay do you know if this was discussed at some point during the preparation of the release? Or if there might be a possibilty of a later release? Even as download only that would be great. 

Every single one of these specialty label projects is done in high resolution, and those high resolution files are all sent back to the studios for archiving, so they are preserved for all time ("future-proofing").  And they are all downmixed to 16/44.1 right at the end of the process for the redbook CDs they sell.

As explained here (click to read then come back maybe), the specialty labels can only release a physical set, they can't sell it digitally (and WB can't sell these three scores digitally themselves).  Theoretically a specialty label probably COULD release a SACD or Audio Blu Ray of the scores in high res, but none of them have ever really done that.

Off the Potter topic but where did that clip of Farewell Neverland come from? I just compared it to my copy of the LLL CD and, to me, the version in this interview sounds noticeably better!

16 minutes ago, Demondm810 said:

TAKE THAT, DIDIER!

I'd completely forgotten that Hook wasn't produced by MM! Makes sense...

1 minute ago, Josh500 said:

How can you forget that? If it had been done by MM, nobody would even be considering, let alone wanting, another Hook. :)

I don't know! I feel terrible about it! 

I think I just assumed that he'd done the best he could with limited materials at the time. I just naturally associate LLL & Williams with Matessino.

2 minutes ago, Alan said:

I don't know! I feel terrible about it! 

I think I just assumed that he'd done the best he could with limited materials at the time. I just naturally associate LLL & Williams with Matessino.

I'm sure it'll eventually happen.

But Hook is not very high on my list right now. Before another Hook comes along, I want the Star Wars prequels, a proper Indiana Jones, and the Oliver Stone trilogy. 

1 hour ago, Alan said:

Off the Potter topic but where did that clip of Farewell Neverland come from? I just compared it to my copy of the LLL CD and, to me, the version in this interview sounds noticeably better!

Oh, better source material is out there 😉 that's why I was shocked when La La Land's Hook turned out the way it did. 

A re-do should be a priority, IMO.

-Erik-

1 hour ago, Alan said:

I noticed that too, it sounded much warmer than how I remembered the LLL version. Also less "wobble" on the final fade-out. Could just be some clever EQ or compression added to the podcast though.

The LLL also has some studio noise towards the end of the last crescendo (the second last note).

Maybe it's just the OST version (did LLL use new scans for existing tracks?)

I'm about to finish my listen. Very interesting, almost informative and entertaining.

What's up with this "educational angle" of Children's Suite? No matter how you explain this it still doesn't make sense. :blink:

Karol

3 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I'm about to finish my listen. Very interesting, almost informative and entertaining.

What's up with this "educational angle" of Children's Suite? No matter how you explain this it still doesn't make sense. :blink:

Karol

I agree completely!   And in this specific instance I don't think anyone would have taken it as such.  

8 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Karol

But it does. You just don't understand it. ;)

It makes sense, the reasoning behind it is clear, even if I necessarily don't agree with JK Rowling. But then, I don't agree with her on many things.

15 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

But it does. You just don't understand it. ;)

It makes sense, the reasoning behind it is clear, even if I necessarily don't agree with JK Rowling. But then, I don't agree with her on many things.

I understand the explanation. I just don't understand why would that be a problem? Especially with music being "real life magic" that helps children develop stuff like, you know, imagination. Would it be too snobbish for working classes? That's rubbish, it's John f*****g Williams. But then, based on all that we know, she probably isn't as big of a fan. Given that he was turned down on DH and stuff like that.

Karol

5 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I understand the explanation. I just don't understand why would that be a problem? Especially with music being "real life magic" that helps children develop stuff like, you know, imagination. Would it be too snobbish for working classes? That's rubbish, it's John f*****g Williams. But then, based on all that we know, she probably isn't as big of a fan. Given that he was turned down on DH and stuff like that.

Karol

Totally agree. I can understand where she's coming from, but I don't think it applies in the case of the Children's Suite.

:lol: I really doubt anyone else would have noticed that little mistake in the programme notes and put two and two together after that.

Yes, ironically JWFan basically blew the surprise. Hehe.

I'm sure 99.999% of attendees that night skimmed over that paragraph and thought, "that's nice... do I still have time for another wine before the songs begin?"

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

Yes, ironically JWFan basically blew the surprise. Hehe.

We also give these expanded score producers no end of hard time for missing microseconds on this or that cue or not including this or that or those alternate takes we know to exist. So we are a blessing and a curse. But our antennae are really sharp in good and in bad things.

5 hours ago, rough cut said:

40 edits in Hedwig’s Theme? Seems a bit excessive, almost disrespectful to the musicians and dishonest to the listener, bureau guess it’s like complaining about CGI in a movie.

Didn't know about that, and I was also surprised.
But then again, I think HT is a pretty complex cue, and if you compare it to any pop track with a big production, 40 edits is… well, a pretty low number. I would be surprised if the most random song out there has less than 4000 edits :D 

38 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

For people who can't listen, what's this story about JK Rowling blocking the Children's Suite from an educational angle? 

For JK Rowling nothing about Potter should be considered educational. She describes Potter as stories from the playground, not the library. She was apparently concerned that the point was to teach children about the orchestra or something along those lines.

It's fluffy reasoning and I suspect it was a case of her not really understanding (caring?) what was actually being proposed.

She was probably concerned that if she agreed to this one project, hundreds of music publishers, music schools, music conservatories and academies, record companies, orchestras, music groups etc. from around the globe would inundate her with hundreds of requests and proposals....

Also worth noting that the proposition was to release the suite as its own release, separate from the OST.

It was approved for this set because it was seen as a bonus to the main score.

2 minutes ago, Alan said:

Also worth noting that the proposition was to release the suite as its own release, separate from the OST.

It was approved for this set because it was seen as a bonus to the main score.

Yes.

Besides, at this point the Harry Potter craze and mania has pretty much died down. Now it doesn't matter. 

No, the way I interpret it, was that it wasn’t a business decision taken in terms of sales. It was more from a branding perspective.

They didn’t want the HP-franchise to be educational and preachy (for neeeeeerds),  but they wanted it to be cool.

Thus, “nix” on any educational stuff as it might damage the brand (and in consequence, damage sales on other HP-branded products if the HP-franchise suddenly became “uncool”).

8 minutes ago, rough cut said:

No, the way I interpret it, was that it wasn’t a business decision taken in terms of sales. It was more from a branding perspective.

They didn’t want the HP-franchise to be educational and preachy (for neeeeeerds),  but they wanted it to be cool.

Thus, “nix” on any educational stuff as it might damage the brand (and in consequence, damage sales on other HP-branded products if the HP-franchise suddenly became “uncool”).

Like I said earlier. I can understand that, but I don't think it applies in the case of the Children's Suite. But it was near the beginning so I guess it makes since they were skittish.