Tanglewood 2019: ANH Live, "Across the Stars", Film Night and more

Falstaft

Aw man. That really is a shame  :C  I still might do film night though, depending what gets announced for Boston. And the Across the Stars concert sounds exciting, given the new JW arrangements. I'll probably try and make that one.

2 hours ago, Falstaft said:

Set 30 years after Star Wars: The Phantom Menace, Star Wars: A New Hope, the fourth episode of the saga

An unworthy sequel to The Phantom Menace.

That's definitely sad but to be expected after London. I imagine his doctor has instructed him to limit exerting himself too much.

If he still intends to conduct IX, he might be under orders not to do concerts at the same time as any sessions (and I'm guessing the sessions will run intermittently from May through October). 

11 hours ago, King Mark said:

So JW is not conducting concert anymore? I don't see threads of any concerts with him conducting in 2019

Was Vienna meant to be is big finale?

Even though he isn't getting any younger and despite recent health issues, I don't think he's giving up on his conducting career. It's more likely he needs a few months of rest to recover properly and be in good shape for the Ep9 schedule next year (and whatever else he's writing), so he probably can't take conducting engagements for a while. The fact he still will be attending the Tanglewood Film Night makes me hope that if he will be in pretty good shape by then, he might step in on the podium to conduct at least two or three pieces.

• 5 months later...

Donnybrook Fair from “Far & Away”. Never heard of that before. I wonder if it's a new arrangement or simply a renaming? 

My likely bet is that it's this arrangement:

I guess Jurassic Park, Harry's Wondrous World, Superman March and Flying from E.T. aren't violin solo arrangements, while the rest is from the upcoming album. Quite an exciting program!

9 hours ago, Timo Martikainen said:

Anne-Sophie Mutter's website now mentions John Williams conducting the 2nd half of the concert. Also BSO website has been updated to include JW as a conductor. 

So then perhaps the annual Boston concert isn’t happening because of Star Wars writing, not age or physical condition? Maybe the tradition will return next year!

• 2 months later...

Bad news... looks like John Williams has been taken off the roster for Tanglewood on Parade July 23rd.

https://www.bso.org/Performance/Detail/100171?fbclid=IwAR3TPKQYd1L03T1AZzdFslyLjlvzEfK8ogATbJsirKSk2vkS952UDYuzrAs

It was the only concert I was scheduled to attend this year, not expecting him to conduct on July 7th or August 24. I now regret not going last Sunday! :( 

Oh man, that’s disappointing news. My wife and I are going to that concert and I was really hoping to see JW conduct. 

It’ll still be a wonderful experience to visit Tanglewood but still... 😕

According to the main post he was always listed as "host" for July 23rd, not conductor?

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

According to the main post he was always listed as "host" for July 23rd, not conductor?

Actually, no. Back in January/February he was listed as "host" or "special guest" for July 7 and August 24, and "conductor" for July 23rd only, which is why I picked that date to go.

Just now, Jay said:

Interesting!

Maybe doing 4 encores last weekend drained him :)

That's what I'm thinking. Or he knew ahead of time he would be away on the 23rd and gave it all on the 7th to make up for it. Shame the BSO didn't announce it ahead of time... there's even a Boston Pops Facebook post on July 9th that still listed Williams as a conductor for the 23rd. Now I'll try to exchange my ticket for August 24 if one becomes available.

Did anyone happen to know when his name was taken off the Tanglewood on Parade concert? I was originally skeptical of him being even present at the concerts. He seemed well though during that weekend.... so perhaps is not health related. But who knows. I have a sneaking suspicion though the August one will be David Newman only....

• 2 weeks later...

mr. Williams cancelled 23.july Tanglewood on parade one day before the event. It was not communicated at the location at all. Still not visible on the bso website. Many dissapointed fans - as myself - took the journey from Europe for nothing. It seems with his age no concert or appearance is certain. So consider not investing a lot of money foe travels and tickets. 

@viktormajzik you had submitted some reports for the mods to check out in this thread, but it sounds like you meant to post both of them as thread replies and not reports, is that correct?

On 7/17/2019 at 1:41 AM, Marian Schedenig said:

I sure hope he doesn't cancel the August concert. Or that the "hosting" thing turns out to be some remote video greeting or something...

Well it could be just a video intro. The description on the BSO website is very vague:

Long established as one of Tanglewood’s most anticipated and beloved evenings, John Williams’ Film Night returns on Saturday, August 24, with George and Roberta Berry Boston Pops Conductor Laureate John Williams introducing the festive evening, which features the Boston Pops and conductor David Newman performing a program celebrating the music of Hollywood and more.

At the same time he's supposed to be doing some Q&A as a part of some workshops the day before so here's hoping...

I am not holding my breath this time though...

Karol

• 3 weeks later...

Well I'm up for a JWFan reunion.

I suppose there's a place for food (and drinks) at Tanglewood? We'll probably arrive there in the early afternoon, but I don't yet know what to do there until the concert other than walk around and try to spot Williams doing the same. ;)

They sell food at Tanglewood though it's nothing special from what I know and I've always just ate dinner before arriving.  @Stefancos walked around the property when he came one year, any advise Steef? 

They have crappy grab-and-go type of food. Burgers, fries, etc. They do have a salad bar also. But I think there's a nicer cafe somewhere too, if you go out of your way to look for it.

There are also restaurants along the road leading to the venue, though I haven't tried many of them.

The grounds are beautiful, and definitely worth taking extra time to walk around. You can also picnic there... some people go all out. Plus you can try and communicate with Highwood's ghost.

Enjoy!

I'm coming on Saturday the 24th! A new batch of tickets went on sale last Sunday, for those now looking to attend.

As mentioned, there is a cafeteria on the Tanglewood grounds, though a favourite place of mine is a seafood restaurant called the Salmon Run in Lee, MA. I might go there for dinner or lunch - I haven't decided yet if I'm attending the Beethoven's 9th rehearsal in the morning.

I'd love a JWFAN meetup! How many are coming in total?

Its a beautiful area so I had fun walking around there on the day of the concert. Saw them setting up the equipment. A couple of musicians were there practicing. Thats how I know they were doing a scene from Jaws live to picture. Which was a highlight of that nights performance.

I’d love to visit Tanglewood.  I want to visit the bower where Copland’s ashes were scattered which also has his memorial gravestone (and later the bust that Williams commissioned was added).