Tanglewood 2019: ANH Live, "Across the Stars", Film Night and more

Falstaft

I can live with that programme. ;)

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Probably just the Imperial March or the Raiders March.

Hopefully conducted by Williams himself...

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Last time JW conducted at Tanglewood, there were 4 encores

Hopefully conducted by Williams himself...

Looks like a great program.  I really wish I could be there, but unfortunately the Film Night concerts at Tanglewood always seen to fall in late August, and that's our busiest time at my work and there's no way to get any time off.  I usually go to the shows at Symphony Hall in May every year but there's something special about the concerts at Tanglewood that doesn't exist in Boston... I'm not sure what, maybe it's the fresh night air in the Berkshires, but there's a wonderful energy to these concerts.  I remember the last one I saw, maybe 7-8 years ago, had Morgan Freeman narrating the Suite from The Reivers...that was extraordinary, if only these were recorded and available for download!

I hope it's a great show (I'm sure it will be) and everyone going has an amazing time!

Wonder if Luke and Leia returns in TROS? I always thought the sudden resurgence of that concert suite at Film Night a few years ago (around the time Williams was finishing TLJ) was a hint the theme was fresh in his mind for a reason. 

I don't see Luke and Leia interacting in the last movie. With limited flexibility with Leia and Luke being a ghost, there's not much interacting they CAN do for the theme to pop up again. When I heard it a couple years ago I assumed, and correctly, that it would be because of The Last Jedi. It really made the scene too. It's one of my favorites in all of Star Wars (the theme, not the movie).

One more question for those with Tanglewood experience: How strict is security? Will I be allowed to take my backpack in, or do I have to drop it off at the entrance? Will they object if it contains my DSLR camera? If during an ovation (not during the actual musical performance, I hate people who do that) I take out the camera and snap a picture or two of Williams, will I be rushed by security guards and waterboarded until I hand over the camera?

8 hours ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

Luke and Leia don't necessarily need to be together in order for the theme to show up. Luke mentions Leia to Rey in TLJ and we briefly get a fragment of it, but I agree that instances in which the theme are allowed to appear are indeed limited. 

I never noticed that little bit of it there. Good catch.

8 hours ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

Luke and Leia don't necessarily need to be together in order for the theme to show up. Luke mentions Leia to Rey in TLJ and we briefly get a fragment of it, but I agree that instances in which the theme are allowed to appear are indeed limited. 

Excellent catch, never noticed that fragment either!

Also worth mentioning that Han Solo never appears in TLJ but we hear HS&TP at least twice in the film, when characters reminisce about him (even though most of us predicted that theme wouldn't be heard again after that final statement in TFA).

So there's plenty of precedent for Williams to use character themes even without characters being physically present (Yoda in Cloud City another example). I could easily see JW using L&L or HS&TP for the scene where Leia ruminates with Han/Luke's medal from the end of ANH. I reckon there's zero chance JJ didn't find a way to reunite Luke and Leia in some form by the end of TROS anyway. He and JW are gonna make us cry.

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

One more question for those with Tanglewood experience: How strict is security? Will I be allowed to take my backpack in, or do I have to drop it off at the entrance? Will they object if it contains my DSLR camera? If during an ovation (not during the actual musical performance, I hate people who do that) I take out the camera and snap a picture or two of Williams, will I be rushed by security guards and waterboarded until I hand over the camera?

I don't think you should have any trouble with security. I took a back pack with me and was no problem. Also tried to get some pictures but my camera wasn't that great to get anything right. Still, no one addressed me because of trying to get some pictures during the ovations.

7 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

When I went in July, we were told repeatedly "Hey, no photos during the performance." As soon as Williams came out, nearly everyone in the audience had their phones out and were taking pictures and videos. Once the concert began, people taking pictures were quickly admonished. So, to answer your question, you're good to bring in your backpack and take pictures, absolutely. You just can't during the performance (but some people did anyways). 

So, how about a meet up tomorrow before/during/after the concert? Any suggestions for where and when? We'll probably be roaming the Tanglewood grounds a bit in the afternoon, trying to spot Williams.

I’d love to meet up! How about outside the main gate gift shop (there are two) for 7:30 before the show?

29 minutes ago, rpvee said:

What’s the dress code for the Tanglewood shed on a Saturday night?

Dress code at Tanglewood? Doesn't exist! 

And if you like to live dangerously:

red_a6360c92-7883-48e3-ad61-b32aa9bdd454

15 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I'm wearing my "Music by John Williams" t-shirt, as usual. 

A classic. Never been washed since 1993!

I’m at the Tanglewood cafe right now for those already here. I’ll go to the main gate gift shop (there’s a place for drinks next to it too) for 7:30.

2 minutes ago, lairdo said:

I was able to capture the complete concert. Will listen tomorrow morning, but my spot check of it was that it was fine. (Was actually watching A New Hope tonight during the concert!)

Bravo!

I only managed to capture the Williams section (Han Solo onwards).

8 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I'm wearing my "Music by John Williams" t-shirt, as usual. 

Oh was that you? I saw you in the food area. My girlfriend was hoping I wouldn't spot you so she could find the shirt for me and surprise me. Where's it from?

Who's this new cute guy in the middle? Well next to the cute Croc!

Jay, cut your hairs!!!

Can someone send me a link in pv please, I completely forgot to record the broadcast!!!

29 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Who's this new cute guy in the middle?

That's @Foxfan, JWfan's resident French Canadian.

30 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Who's this new cute guy in the middle?

That's @Foxfan, JWfan's resident French Canadian.

I met 4 out of 5 people in that picture!

Glad to that after the cancelled London concert some of the European members have decided to journey West and seek Him out!