Tanglewood 2019: ANH Live, "Across the Stars", Film Night and more

Falstaft

The Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra would never ever have JW conduct the orchestra. Hell, I don’t even think they’ve ever played a little piece by him. They once did a film music program I believe, but it was only music from the Golden Age. They will have a new leadership soon so who knows what that will change...

14 hours ago, Remco said:

The Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra would never ever have JW conduct the orchestra. Hell, I don’t even think they’ve ever played a little piece by him. They once did a film music program I believe, but it was only music from the Golden Age. They will have a new leadership soon so who knows what that will change...

RC would be too conservative an ensemble? Wouldn’t Wiener Phil be even more stuck-up, though? Didn’t they refuse to allow female musicians until basically a few years ago or something?

Makes me wonder what these cultural pillars must think of the LSO.

3 hours ago, Bayesian said:

Didn’t they refuse to allow female musicians until basically a few years ago or something?

The orchestra's Wiki makes for interesting reading!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vienna_Philharmonic#Controversies

16 hours ago, Bayesian said:

RC would be too conservative an ensemble? Wouldn’t Wiener Phil be even more stuck-up, though? Didn’t they refuse to allow female musicians until basically a few years ago or something?

Makes me wonder what these cultural pillars must think of the LSO.

That is a different issue altogether I think. But when it comes to programming and such, the RCO will only ever perform ‘high art’. There’s no reason for them to change that policy because that’s what their snobistic audience expects and they have enough money anyway. Besides that, we already have many excellent orchestras that play ‘entertainment’ concerts in the same hall, so there is sort of enough of that already.

1 minute ago, Thor said:

It's a beautiful place, I can understand why he keeps coming back.

Absolutely. One thing I was wondering while wandering (hem) the grounds: Do we know where Williams lives when he's "staying at Tanglewood" during the summertime?

6 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Absolutely. One thing I was wondering while wandering (hem) the grounds: Do we know where Williams lives when he's "staying at Tanglewood" during the summertime?

Not exactly, but I've read one interview where he speaks of a cabin that his wife Samantha owns "up in the Berkshire mountains". I assume that's pretty close by.

From what I've gathered in the (recent) past he stays on a rather expensive place some minutes away from Lenox. I know I have that info somewhere, just need to look for it.

Williams and his wife have in fact a couple other places, outside LA, but to the best of my knowledge, none in the Berkshires.

@Marian Schedenig Those pictures are just terrific!

3 hours ago, Miguel Andrade said:

From what I've gathered in the (recent) past he stays on a rather expensive place some minutes away from Lenox. I know I have that info somewhere, just need to look for it.

Williams and his wife have in fact a couple other places, outside LA, but to the best of my knowledge, none in the Berkshires.

Yes, they do (or rather she does). He talked about it in an interview. Unfortunately, I lost all my interview quotes in the harddisk crash a year ago, but I'll see if I can retrieve the quote in question.

Jay, do you have the link to the John Williams interview thread again? I need to go through it anyway, to try and retrieve the interesting quotes.

12 hours ago, Miguel Andrade said:

From what I've gathered in the (recent) past he stays on a rather expensive place some minutes away from Lenox.

I think it's either the Hampton Terrace (because he has a quotation on that page thanking them for their hospitality) - that is in Lenox near the main street - about 30 mins walk from TW;

or Blantyre (which the The Telegraph says he has stayed there) and is more high end and probably more like a 60 min walk.

(Of course JW probably is driven in any case.)

10 hours ago, lairdo said:

I think it's either the Hampton Terrace (because he has a quotation on that page thanking them for their hospitality) - that is in Lenox near the main street - about 30 mins walk from TW;

or Blantyre (which the The Telegraph says he has stayed there) and is more high end and probably more like a 60 min walk.

(Of course JW probably is driven in any case.)

Blantyre it is: http://archive.boston.com/ae/music/articles/2010/05/11/john_williams_celebrating_30_years_with_the_boston_pops/

7 hours ago, Romão said:

Awesome, a John Williams Brickheadz :)  Did you design it, Marian?

Yes. I'm still not entirely happy with the (trick!) turtleneck, and I want to try a slightly different shape for the beard, but I couldn't find two 2x2 triangular plates among my spare bricks. The mustache is quite accurate I think.

38 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Yes. I'm still not entirely happy with the (trick!) turtleneck, and I want to try a slightly different shape for the beard, but I couldn't find two 2x2 triangular plates among my spare bricks. The mustache is quite accurate I think.

I really need one of those :)

22 minutes ago, Miguel Andrade said:

I really need one of those :)

At some point I'll try to create building instructions.

I still have to make a Goldsmith one, too.

• 7 months later...