GALAXY'S EDGE - New John Williams composition (2018)

tranders65

Of course. It's just an intriguing series of events considering said rumours.

Williams ends up scoring the main theme for the anthology film following Rogue One, which the film's composer is obliged to adapt as a blueprint for the score proper.  Not long after, rumours start circulating that Giacchino is involved in scoring music for Galaxy's Edge with Williams only for JW to score it solo.

Recent info Disney shared about Galaxy's Edge included some of the different music for the cantina. Apparently there is new jazzy cantina music along with some more club-like music performed my a Droid band. Not clear if JW worked on these but I assume not.

Yeah I would assume that JW wrote a miniature suite that several other composers will adapt and take a lead from.  Like with his music for NBC over the years.  I bet that's the extent of his involvement.  Like, there's no way he scored the coke ad.  It was a very particular set of circumstances that led to him scoring the Potter Coke ad in 2001.

I hope that there will be an official release of the Maestro’s music for Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge. I am going to be planning a trip to Disney’s Hollywood Studios, three day weekend visit, Friday through Sunday, sometime between September and November. I can’t wait to experience everything at Galaxy’s Edge.

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Yeah I would assume that JW wrote a miniature suite that several other composers will adapt and take a lead from.  Like with his music for NBC over the years.  I bet that's the extent of his involvement.  Like, there's no way he scored the coke ad.  It was a very particular set of circumstances that led to him scoring the Potter Coke ad in 2001.

I don't think anyone thinks he scored the Coke ad. 

I don’t think he sat down and scored the ad itself but I’d be surprised/impressed if that version of the theme isn’t him, uncanny. Maybe it’s excerpted from the full piece or just one of a series of random alternate variations he did for them to use in commercials, ride safety videos etc. The point of the music is to advertise the park, he’s not really above doing this kinda shit when asked. He did commercials for COS too so the Hedwig Coke one wasn’t necessarily that special.

At the end of the the panel, they played the full concert piece. Everything that we have heard are snippets of the full Theme from Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge. On the live feed, you can here the beginning of it as Josh Gad introduces the piece to be played as everyone leaves, and points out that it is the first time that the full concert piece has been heard publicly (1:30:04 in the video). Unfortunately, the live feed ends just after the opening fanfare goes into the strings. I am sure that the piece will be officially released. I really want to hear and experience it.

Also, they gave a big shoutout to the Maestro and show video of him at 1:18:41.

14 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

Unfortunately, the live feed ends just after the opening fanfare goes into the strings.

Talk about a 'tease'!

But I guess we'll just have to patient and wait. I'm sure the full theme (or suite or whatever he composed) will be available in due time.

Background noise is atrocious, but you do get a very nice sense of the piece.  Well developed and long-lined.  I like it a lot.  I might like it more than Rebellion is Reborn. 

Based on the clean snippets we have, it sounds like the performance and recording quality are as good as it gets.  Disney better release this (and any other GE Williams music) this summer. 

1 minute ago, Tom said:

Based on the clean snippets we have, it sounds like the performance and recording quality are as good as it gets.  Disney better release this (and any other GE Williams music) this summer. 

Why would they release it in the summer, is that when the park opens?

9 minutes ago, Loert said:

"This is the first time the entire concert suite has been heard publicly!"

*public talks over the whole thing*

To be fair, they basically played it as walk-out music.

Just now, King Mark said:

could be like Dear Baskettball and Timeless Call

Haha I forgot about Timeless Call! I don't think I ever listened to it.

6 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

To be fair, they basically played it as walk-out music.

One does not simply "walk-out" when John Williams is playing. ;)

Now, why are there two versions of that fanfare? The one that plays in the concert suite is in a different key and has missing cymbal crashes from the one that plays when the guy is speaking. I hope they eventually release both...

13 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Why would they release it in the summer, is that when the park opens?

It is either late May or early June--either way, it is not too far away. 

4 minutes ago, King Mark said:

why did JW want to quit Episode 9 because of JJ? did I miss something?

I would guess it is referring to the speculation that the scoring process was tough with rewrites

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Nice to see some unabashed excitement @JohnnyD!  I hope you keep posting more regularly 👍

Why, thank you. When it comes to Star Wars, and of course Maestro John Williams and his entire blessed work and career, I have nothing but true delight, excitement and praise. So much to look forward to.

Regarding Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, I've even thought of making a series of video logs that will catalogue my trip to Batuu, which I will post on YouTube, just like I posted the whole New World Symphony concert last month.

33 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Yeah I call bull

I’d believe that maybe he had some stipulations but the dramatic “almost quit” part rings false.

Yeah, it doesn't line up with the many glowing praises he gave Abrams and the film in various interviews.  

I think Williams genuinely likes Abrams.  If anything, the recording schedule and rewrites were the issue (if the rumor is even true).  in the case of IX, it looks like it will be much closer to a usual scoring schedule.  

As for the GE piece again, Williams really put his heart into this.  Complex orchestrations, awesome main lines, fanfares, and theme development.  This better be on the program for the summer Williams concerts (regardless of whether he is conducting).  That beginning will bring the house down.  Those high strings in the beginning annoyed me back with the original youtube video, but they are harmless in the full piece.