GALAXY'S EDGE - New John Williams composition (2018)

tranders65

2 hours ago, Arpy said:

Just waiting for elvisjones to reveal that Williams is actually a reptilian doppelganger who had a love affair with Rian Johnson behind Abrams' back.

Nope, just a regular guy.  Don't believe me if you don't want to, but someday the truth will come out.  JJ is very hard to work with - just ask Ben Burtt...

Most big-time directors are perfectionists, but because of Abrams musical abilities (modest, but real), it probably makes him more of a micro-manager than he should be when it comes to the scoring process. 

Burtt had been promoted to editor when LucasFilm made the prequels. His protege was younger, more apt to fall in line, the voice of General Grievous and cheaper. I guess he won.

20 minutes ago, elvisjones said:

Nope, just a regular guy.  Don't believe me if you don't want to, but someday the truth will come out.  JJ is very hard to work with - just ask Ben Burtt...

You're making big claims and offering nothing in return, and you're right, I don't have to believe you, because in order to believe something you must be convinced of the evidence and not hearsay. 

I'll call up Burtt on the weekend over some brewskis with the lads...

It's not a matter of disregarding your claims @elvisjones It's a matter of choosing to believe allegations on the basis of one poster's testimony. Who knows why there haven't been L2P's of R1? The concerts would be chosen and planned through particular agencies - right now it's no surprise to see Star Trek, Up, Lost and Coco are on the roster because they seem to be fan favourites, they've been performed over the last decade and the most accessible films to a range of audiences. Giacchino also presented a suite for R1 along with another film to not receive a concert - Tomorrowland  - for his 50th Birthday concert. 

I don't mean any ill-will towards you, I just don't like these claims, sensationalist or not, that seek to ruffle more feathers than need be - much like the recent Captain Marvel bullshit. It's the type of facts gossip that puts me off these discussions that sound more like conspiracy theories. 

1 minute ago, TownerFan said:

It's pretty amazing to realize he wrote such a joyously elaborated piece of symphonic music that probably will be treated just as background muzak most attendees won't even notice.

Talk about dedication to his own craft.

I think the same percentage of people who take note of film music when watching a movie will take note of this when visiting the attraction. 

7 hours ago, Arpy said:

It's not a matter of disregarding your claims @elvisjones It's a matter of choosing to believe allegations on the basis of one poster's testimony. Who knows why there haven't been L2P's of R1? The concerts would be chosen and planned through particular agencies - right now it's no surprise to see Star Trek, Up, Lost and Coco are on the roster because they seem to be fan favourites, they've been performed over the last decade and the most accessible films to a range of audiences. Giacchino also presented a suite for R1 along with another film to not receive a concert - Tomorrowland  - for his 50th Birthday concert. 

I don't mean any ill-will towards you, I just don't like these claims, sensationalist or not, that seek to ruffle more feathers than need be - much like the recent Captain Marvel bullshit. It's the type of facts gossip that puts me off these discussions that sound more like conspiracy theories. 

This is the my Last post on this topic.  

I would suggest that calling my posts gossips IS disregarding “my claims”, as is calling them a “conspiracy theory”. 

Are you really saying that people would rather see LOST L2P than a Star Wars movie?  A quick google check reveals that R1 made a billion dollars at the box office. Tomorrowland made 200+ million.  Coco made 800+ million. No Trek film of MGs made more than 500 million. The “fan favorite” arguments doesn’t seem very likely an explanation to me, but perhaps you’re right....

I understand that you may not LIKE what I’ve said, but not BELIEVING something because you don’t LIKE it isn’t the answer.   I don’t LIKE that Trump is President, but that doesn’t mean I don’t BELIEVE it.

I don’t mean any ill-will toward anyone on the board either, and I don’t seek to ruffle anyone’s feathers. However, that “facts - no, gossip” comment seems definitely intended to ruffle my feathers. 

What do you expect though?

You post some pretty controversial behind the scenes stuff, of which you can offer no source or back up. 

Call me a cynic, but people who question your accounts have every right to.

It's a repeat of what happens every time he comes in and drops one of his bombshells.

It's always a sensationalized version of the truth.  A kernel of the real story with drama added.  I assume it's because he's hearing things through a game of telephone (Chinese whispers for the Brits).

17 hours ago, elvisjones said:

I do believe that MG worked on the revision of Star Tours a few years ago.  So it's very possible Disney approached him to work on Galaxy's Edge.  

I also know for a fact that JW was not crazy about any aspect of the music situation on R1, even before MG was hired.  However, currently, Lucasfilm seems to be going to some length to placate JW, (perhaps because he supposedly almost quit ep 9 when he learned JJ was coming back).  It's obvious he's not going to be around forever, and my guess is when JW passes on, MG will be brought in to the SW musical universe a lot.

But I have not heard any rumors re:JW/MG on the theme park front.  All I know is so far the publicly announced work has been done by JW and Williams Ross.

Rumor control ends now.

Ok, sorry, one more post as I  feel compelled to defend my reputation against claims that I am lying, and that what I’ve said is now being exaggerated. 

What part of my original post quoted above says EITHER ABRAMS GO OR I GO?  What part of this indicates JW was unprofessional in any way, that he shouted at people in some unreasonable, demanding manner?  What part of this is me dropping some “sensational bombshell”?

Steef, you’ve been here forever, when have I just posted bullshit?  Stu, when have you known me to post something claiming it’s fact just to annoy people versus posting something that I’ve heard or seen FIRST HAND in my job in LA?

I'm not saying you're wrong and I mean no disrespect, but I don't know if it's constructive to drop a reference to something like that without much context.  That usually results in people running with something and filling in the blanks.  Maybe be a little clearer with exactly what you know and don't know.  A tossed off, parenthetical "supposedly Williams almost quit" as an aside comes off a bit incendiary.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

What do you expect though?

You post some pretty controversial behind the scenes stuff, of which you can offer no source or back up. 

Call me a cynic, but people who question your accounts have every right to.

I believe him without need to put sources

2 minutes ago, Ghostbusters II said:

Well, you're about to go into the snake pit. What are you plannin' to wear?

*open-armed gesture to suggest I'm going as I am*

2 hours ago, King Mark said:

I wish we';d get a cell recording from someone sitting more upfront

I keep listening to this piece.  and I think it might be one of Williams best adventure pieces ever .It's astonishing that at 87 he can still come up with something like this,. It's like he's at the top of his game in the mid 80's again

Yeah, I agree.  This is as good as it gets.  There are moments from the crappy recording that scream brilliance and Williams at his most unrestrained and bombastic (which means it will be undignified and uncultured for some).

One more weird thing: when I first heard the two minute version, it sounded like a "take two" on the Flag Parade.  Upon hearing the whole thing, it is amazing how little it resembles that piece.  Probably a lesson in there not to judge a whole on the basis of smaller parts. 

1 hour ago, artguy360 said:

I'm hearing a lot of similarities between the Galaxy's Edge theme and The Adventures of Han. I guess some of these are modern JW adventure music characteristics. The sound seems nice and bright.

Especially from the opening fanfare of TAOH 

It's strange how 'Star Wars-y' these tracks sound, sometimes moreso than the scores for the main films!

1 minute ago, Arpy said:

Especially from the opening fanfare of TAOH 

It's strange how 'Star Wars-y' these tracks sound, sometimes moreso than the scores for the main films!

I think this is mostly because JW here seems to play with a harmonic vocabulary that our ears immediately associate with the vernacular of the original trilogy scores

It's a whimsical piece of music (again), but somehow feels more coherent than 90% of the material in the new STAR WARS films. While we wait for a release, I'd love to get some more info on the background of it -- when it was composed, what the initial ideas were (the communication between the Disney park and Williams) and so on.

On 4/15/2019 at 6:45 AM, elvisjones said:

Here's something else I can offer in "return".  There are rips of the 7.1 mix of TFA floating around that make it pretty easy to listen to the score as it appears in EP 7, and it's obvious that it's been hacked to pieces.  In contrast, based on their own words, the filmmakers of Ep 8 gave JW a temp score and told him to follow it, which he apparently pretty much did.  My guess is after all the rewrites he had to do on Ep 7, he just wanted to write the score for Ep 8 once.

So you think the working method for TLJ was not so much a choice of Rian Johnson, but the consequence of JW being unhappy with TFA's process?

I just find it strange that Williams publicly said he enjoyed doing the rewrites – he could have said nothing on this subject if he really didn't!

It's nice that people are now recognizing the brilliance of this piece.  It's interesting that a video of the music in poor quality and loaded with background noise is what ended up enlightening people.  I recognized it's brilliance when I first heard it back in November, even in an abridged version.

8 hours ago, Thor said:

It's a whimsical piece of music (again), but somehow feels more coherent than 90% of the material in the new STAR WARS films. While we wait for a release, I'd love to get some more info on the background of it -- when it was composed, what the initial ideas were (the communication between the Disney park and Williams) and so on.

I don't find it whimsical, at least not in its main lines and orchestrations.  It has some playful little moments, but that is about it. 

This makes me curious why you would categorized it as such. 

2 hours ago, Balahkay said:

It's nice that people are now recognizing the brilliance of this piece.  It's interesting that a video of the music in poor quality and loaded with background noise is what ended up enlightening people.  I recognized it's brilliance when I first heard it back in November, even in an abridged version.

Just goes to show what structure and theme/variation bring to it. The promo video just sounded to me like some random pompous gestures which don’t float my boat so much when there’s no tension or development. I hear more of his flair for drama in the full thing and the quasi-Middle Eastern (?) vibe gives it some character.

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 6:32 AM, igger6 said:

5+ new themes for J.J., 1.5 for Johnson.  I think we know where the Maestro's loyalties lie. 😎

That's because the latter movie sucked and only needed 1.5 themes.

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

Just goes to show what structure and theme/variation bring to it. The promo video just sounded to me like some random pompous gestures which don’t float my boat so much when there’s no tension or development. I hear more of his flair for drama in the full thing and the quasi-Middle Eastern (?) vibe gives it some character.

Totally.

It has been a while since we got an almost 5 minute epic theme concert piece from Williams. Part of what makes it awesome is that is a fairly monothematic (though with what I would call two smaller ideas thrown in); thus, the main theme gets a satisfying workout.  I love Rey's theme, but the concert version is woefully short.  Rebellion Reborn has nice themes, but it is four minutes of three themes getting their own turns. 

28 minutes ago, Tom said:

It has been a while since we got an almost 5 minute epic theme concert piece from Williams. Part of what makes it awesome is that is a fairly monothematic (though with what I would call two smaller ideas thrown in); thus, the main theme gets a satisfying workout.  I love Rey's theme, but the concert version is woefully short.  Rebellion Reborn has nice themes, but it is four minutes of three themes getting their own turns. 

I feel Williams could have easily written concert versions for each theme.  If he could extend Fawkes and Chamber of Secrets into lengthy concert versions, I don't see why he could haven't done the same for Rose's theme and Luke's Island theme.  He could have even turned the Holdo/desperation theme into a nice concert piece.

Finally sat down and listened to the music in the new videos.  Good stuff, reminds me of Adventures of Han at times.  They need to just release the entire recording clean on iTunes or whatever.

For anyone who hasn't heard it yet and might be confused about the recent bevy of embedded videos, the piece is heard from 6:45-11:30 of this video:

I wonder if it's possible for someone to extract that, clean up / boost the audio, and re-upload it youtube in its own video?

5 hours ago, Balahkay said:

Well this new revealed music is so much better than what we heard in November. 

59 minutes ago, pete said:

How come there's not total silence from the audience? What a bunch of weirdos

Deep down they don't actually care about Star Wars, or the significance of this piece being heard in full for the first time. It's sad.

When I went to the LTP of Azkaban most of the audience chatted and walked out on the orchestra when the credits hit. People just take music for granted, we’re conditioned to ignore it as background noise.