GALAXY'S EDGE - New John Williams composition (2018)

tranders65

2 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

That's not an hour of Williams, though, right? 

I read it as being an hour's worth of Galaxy's Edge material at the session Williams observed online, most of the pieces being short (less than two minutes) perhaps not all of them original Williams compositions and arrangements, but the wording doesn't specify. They could all be the sole work of Williams. The article could certainly be clearer. Then separate sessions for newly arranged music and adapted music from the film scores. 

Williams, who was in Tanglewood, Mass., at the time of the recording, was linked to Abbey Road, enabling him to hear the sessions and offer specific notes about the performance.

Ross recorded the five-minute suite, a two-minute reduction of the main theme, and various shorter pieces based on Williams’ original composition, all totaling about an hour of music.

Both Smugglers Run, set aboard the Millennium Falcon; and Rise of the Resistance, the still-in-progress second ride to open in the fall, will draw extensively on the vast catalog of previous Williams “Star Wars” themes, Disney execs said. Ross made several trips to London to record newly arranged and adapted material for various corners of the 14-acre land

So great to get some more details on how this came together. The suite has probably become my favorite new Williams composition since Rey's theme, and I can't wait to hear it interpolated throughout the land, and in exactly the way I hoped. They saw how counterproductive it would have been to just blast recognizable orchestral Williams music throughout the land, and I'm thrilled about it.

I wonder if the "about an hour" includes the bits of area background music I mentioned being able to hear through the construction walls recently. I kinda feel like that was separate, since it really didn't sound orchestral, but it was hard to tell through the wall.

The way I read it, Williams wrote a 5 minute symphonic suite and that's it. The rest  is music adapted by Ross "based" on the themes in that suite.Like Powell did with Solo.

I'd still like to hear all of it though

1 hour ago, King Mark said:

The way I read it, Williams wrote a 5 minute symphonic suite and that's it. The rest  is music adapted by Ross "based" on the themes in that suite.Like Powell did with Solo.

I'd still like to hear all of it though

Oh yeah, that is the most sensible interpretation of the wording in the article, now that I have a moment to take a closer look.

This whole thing randomly came up in a real-world conversation today. My friends were stoked to listen to the suite, and they're not necessarily enormous film score fans.

By the way, a little birdie (falcon?) told me that the theme can be heard in its full orchestral glory aboard the Smuggler's Run ride, including some material not included in the suite.

no. for the 1000th time Chamber of Secrets isn't like that or like Solo or like Superman 2-3-4.

In CoS Willliams ended up writing all the score, even adding specific overlays in re-recorded cues. I thought that was settled , why did you bring it up again?

With Galaxy's Edge it'll probably sound something like Gorty Haab's music from the brief clips we heard in the Coke commercial 

10 hours ago, King Mark said:

no. for the 1000th time Chamber of Secrets isn't like that or like Solo or like Superman 2-3-4.

In CoS Willliams ended up writing all the score, even adding specific overlays in re-recorded cues. I thought that was settled , why did you bring it up again?

Dude, he was making a joke, he wasn't being serious.  Read the room!

Sorry. but that topic irritates me so I read it as a non joke just in case

I know some people still believe the "Williams wrote only 40 minutes of CoS" early press conference statement

16 minutes ago, King Mark said:

I know some people still believe the "Williams wrote only 40 minutes of CoS" early press conference statement

This is what was originally reported, and there's not being any verifiable source stating the truth is otherwise.

Yes, just a joke.  I am well aware that Ross composed the whole score to CoS. 

Back on topic, there was mention of a new Cantina piece.  I wonder if Williams had a hand in that or if the suite themes are it.  Either way, I am more comfortable with Ross as the adapter versus the other options. 

2 hours ago, Tom said:

Yes, just a joke.  I am well aware that Ross composed the whole score to CoS. 

Back on topic, there was mention of a new Cantina piece.  I wonder if Williams had a hand in that or if the suite themes are it.  Either way, I am more comfortable with Ross as the adapter versus the other options. 

From what I've heard, there's a bunch of new cantina music, including some in the style of Williams' ANH source cues, but I don't think Williams was involved with those. I believe they said there were multiple composers involved with different pieces.

Yeah, based on the article alone, it seems that Williams was not involved beyond the themes in the suite.  Oh well.  I continue to be of the opinion that this piece will go down as one of the upper-echelon pieces of his oeuvre.  I can see how some might be underwhelmed by the two main themes if comparing theme to Williams's all time greats.  However, they are still strong and the effect of the piece as a whole is just superb.  At this point, as strange as it might seem, I do not want a theme stronger than Luke's. Let the main title forever be the overture to the soundscape of Star Wars.  I really like that William is offering such diverse pieces to fill out that soundscape.  Galaxy's Edge fits the adventure bill perfectly and rounds out the now 2 hours of concert suites very nicely. 

My dream would be for the LSO (just travel to LA for goodness sake)  to record a 2-CD (NB: I would also be happy with a 3-CD ) set of all the key concert suites upon the completion of IX. 

I wonder what's the 2 minute recording of the main theme. The first You Tube video is an edit I think

Also if Williams plays this in concerts, I wonder if he'll revise the opening to include the fanfare more organically. .In the suite it's edited in

46 minutes ago, Tom said:

My dream would be for a the LSO (just travel to LA for goodness sake)  to record a 2-CD (NB: I would also be happy with a 3-CD ) set of all the key concert suites upon the completion of IX. 

My wish would be for the Chicago Symphony to re-record the score to RETURN OF THE JEDI. I really don't like the quality of the original recording and that legendary CSO brass would own that score.

54 minutes ago, King Mark said:

I wonder what's the 2 minute recording of the main theme. The first You Tube video is an edit I think

Also if Williams plays this in concerts, I wonder if he'll revise the opening to include the fanfare more organically. .In the suite it's edited in

From the bits of sheet music visible in the videos, it looked like the alternate opening still included some duplicated material from the original version, so the transition from the new fanfare to the original high strings probably wouldn't have been the edit point. There might not be any revisions needed after all.

Disney only started using that in the 2000s, after years of pretty generic library-sounding snippets on their videos and DVDs.  It always struck me as weird and a little cheap that, despite their vast musical legacy as a studio, they just licensed something written for another house's film at the heart of their renaissance to promote their content.  They also cribbed Newton Howard's "Flying" from Peter Pan for Walt Disney World a few years back.

Got around to listening to the track on the first page of the thread. Is that what KM has been calling the second coming of Williams over all these pages?

I mean, it's nice, it's okay. It's fine.

But it could just as easily be a random "generic Star Wars" cue from any of the new Star Wars scores, at which point I have to wonder why every single new Star Wars cue ever written hasn't spawned an 11 page thread at JWFan.

It sounds like you didn't listen to the right thing, no.  The bulk of the discusison is about the full, 5 minute long, officially release Suite track.  Like in the main post of this thread:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/29484-vote-galaxys-edge-by-john-williams-how-do-you-like-it/

Or also available on Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon mp3, etc etc

2 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Got around to listening to the track on the first page of the thread. Is that what KM has been calling the second coming of Williams over all these pages?

I mean, it's nice, it's okay. It's fine.

But it could just as easily be a random "generic Star Wars" cue from any of the new Star Wars scores, at which point I have to wonder why every single new Star Wars cue ever written hasn't spawned an 11 page thread at JWFan.

This!

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

It sounds like you didn't listen to the right thing, no.  The bulk of the discusison is about the full, 5 minute long, officially release Suite track.  Like in the main post of this thread:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/29484-vote-galaxys-edge-by-john-williams-how-do-you-like-it/

Or also available on Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon mp3, etc etc

Ah right, thanks. I listened. It's quite nice. I voted it 3 stars.

Strangely, parts sound to me like Stargate meets The Mummy. I'm sure the eastern flavour of the theme has probably been widely discussed here already though.

Yes the middle eastern flavor has been discussed for sure, probably in both threads

42 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

This!

How can you say it sounds like a generic SW piece when your main comment was that it does not sound like SW?  Not trying to be snotty, just asking. 

6 hours ago, Tom said:

How can you say it sounds like a generic SW piece when your main comment was that it does not sound like SW?  Not trying to be snotty, just asking. 

Mind boggling, isnt it?

I said it sounded like a John Williams festival piece with a bit of a Star Wars flavour. 

Its...fine. Put in on a John Williams Concert piece CD and I'll give it a listen once a year or so. 

But I don't think it's the utter masterpiece people here seem to think it is.

On 5/21/2019 at 8:34 AM, Amer said:

Jon mentioned to me that it's getting harder to get to Williams these days plus his current schedule is so busy as he finishing up Episode 9, I'm not surprised. I just asked him if he knows anything about a cd release of all of this new music when the rides open. 

Ok, Jon informed me that the CD single rlease of this piece is most likely to come via Disney label when the ride opens in August. But he says do not expect the other WIlliams Ross arrangements to be on that cd. Oh well.....

On 5/21/2019 at 5:34 AM, Amer said:

Jon mentioned to me that it's getting harder to get to Williams these days plus his current schedule is so busy as he finishing up Episode 9, I'm not surprised. I just asked him if he knows anything about a cd release of all of this new music when the rides open. 

Who's Jon?

57 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Who's Jon?

Jon Snow.... Heheeh. 

Jon Burlingame, whose Galaxys Edge article was shared ago in this thread. 

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

A CD release for a single 5 minute track? Whaaaa? 

Perhaps we will get a dialogue version with SFXs on there too! And a radio edit! Happened with Duel of the Fates!

Just listened to this today. It's a nice companion piece to 'Rebellion Reborn' (or whatever it was called) - a bit too Coplandian in pose, probably, but at this point more interesting to listen to than the old singalong tunes. It would be really nice to have stuff like this developed in a real film score instead of a compost-forked deja vú like The Last Jedi (where the development of said theme was sorely missed).

11 hours ago, TownerFan said:

It has a true form of a classical piece, albeit in quite a short time--he presents thematic ideas, then put them into a development section and finally recapitulates the main ideas toward a big finale. I find always interesting to see JW using classical forms like sonata, rondo or scherzo for film-like pieces such as this. Of course it's not as developed as much as a Brahms or a Schubert piece, but I don't think JW ever meant it to be.

Does anyone have a (few) piece(s) of music they can recommend to illustrate some of these classical forms in a straightforward way?  I've been aspiring to learn more about musical structure for years, but I've never taken the time to put it in the work.

On 5/20/2019 at 8:39 PM, The Psycho Pianist said:

For only the second time in more than four decades of “Star Wars” music, legendary composer John Williams has written a new theme for a “Star Wars” project that is distinct from his film scores for those galaxies far, far away.

Is this referring to The Adventures of Han? In that case, it's badly formulated.

On 5/21/2019 at 1:55 AM, King Mark said:

The rest  is music adapted by Ross "based" on the CoS themes.

Fixed!