GALAXY'S EDGE - New John Williams composition (2018)

tranders65

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, King Mark said:

I've never seen an album with one track only though

I mean, it's called a single...it's happened plenty of times.

Also, there's this...one...loooong...track:

https://www.discogs.com/Alfred-Newman-Captain-From-Castile/release/9512458

Yavar

1 hour ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I mean, it's called a single...it's happened plenty of times.

Also, there's this...one...loooong...track:

https://www.discogs.com/Alfred-Newman-Captain-From-Castile/release/9512458

Yavar

And what a great album it is!

8 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Holy crap the single is back?

There was a vinyl single of March of the Resistance b/w Rey's Theme for TFA

https://www.discogs.com/John-Williams-Star-Wars-The-Force-Awakens-March-Of-The-Resistance-Reys-Theme/release/8394396

Also The Rebellion is Reborn b/w Canto Bight for TLJ

https://www.discogs.com/John-Williams-Star-Wars-The-Last-Jedi-/release/11896806

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

https://www.discogs.com/John-Williams-Star-Wars-The-Force-Awakens-March-Of-The-Resistance-Reys-Theme/release/8394396

I have that!

7 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Also The Rebellion is Reborn b/w Canto Bight for TLJ

https://www.discogs.com/John-Williams-Star-Wars-The-Last-Jedi-/release/11896806

Haha, nice. So what will the B Side be for Galaxy's Edge?

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

I also didn't realize until just now that Disney Music set up a publisher called Utapau Music for their Star Wars releases.  Nice ROTS ref.

I want to say Utapau Music has been around for a while (post Revenge of the Sith), I could be wrong. That name was kicking around since George Lucas' first drafts of the original movie.

2 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

I want to say Utapau Music has been around for a while (post Revenge of the Sith), I could be wrong. That name was kicking around since George Lucas' first drafts of the original movie.

According to Discogs it started up for TFA and after.  Of course that's user generated info, so take it for what it's worth. (the demasters aren't there because Discogs only catalogs physical releases)

https://www.discogs.com/label/955232-Utapau-Music?sort=year&sort_order=

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

the demasters aren't there because Discogs only catalogs physical releases)

They were physical releases, though. 

I will quickly discover the truth of all this.

Just now, Nick Parker said:

They were physical releases, though. 

I will quickly discover the truth to all this.

Oh yeah!  I completely forgot they weren't digital only.  Mostly because I wouldn't have bought them if you had given me the money.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

And what a great album it is!

I mean, it's a GREAT score...but I'll go with the complete (apart from the short prologue cue which is lost) deluxe 2 CD Screen Archives edition, personally. It's my favorite Golden Age score, in fact, and I want every note (preferably not in one 40+ minute track, haha...makes the Poledouris Les Miserables album look totally reasonable in comparison!)

Yavar

9 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I mean, it's a GREAT score...but I'll go with the complete (apart from the short prologue cue which is lost) deluxe 2 CD Screen Archives edition, personally. It's my favorite Golden Age score, in fact, and I want every note (preferably not in one 40+ minute track, haha...makes the Poledouris Les Miserables album look totally reasonable in comparison!)

Yavar

It's the greatest 40+ minute score track I've ever heard!

Btw, how does the sound on the expansion compare to the awesome one-track release?

51 minutes ago, Dieter Stark said:

The lack of music in this area makes it feel boring and depressing. They need to bring JW back to make it actually feel like Star Wars.

I wouldn't go that far, personally; it's still a great time. But I was thinking yet again yesterday about how much it would help to have more indigenous Batuuan music floating through the different areas. You could even have a little musical group come out from time to time...it would be a fun challenge to create instruments that were playable but looked and sounded a little alien.

It sounds like Disney really pooed the scrooch on the musical front in Galaxy's Edge.  What a stunning missed opportunity.  I don't buy the realism argument, because Indiana Jones, Jack Sparrow, Winnie the Pooh, Woody, Belle, and the freaking Carnotaurus from Dinosaur can't hear their own themes, either, but they get scored to death in their respective themed areas, and rightly so.  Theme parks are about illusion, about using cinematic tools in four-dimensional reality, and music has been an intrinsic component of every successful themed environment for decades.  It's mind-boggling to me that whoever's serving the Kool-Aid at Imagineering these days could get everyone to buy into this kind of an epic philosophical whiff.

10 hours ago, igger6 said:

It sounds like Disney really pooed the scrooch on the musical front in Galaxy's Edge.  What a stunning missed opportunity.  I don't buy the realism argument, because Indiana Jones, Jack Sparrow, Winnie the Pooh, Woody, Belle, and the freaking Carnotaurus from Dinosaur can't hear their own themes, either, but they get scored to death in their respective themed areas, and rightly so.  Theme parks are about illusion, about using cinematic tools in four-dimensional reality, and music has been an intrinsic component of every successful themed environment for decades.  It's mind-boggling to me that whoever's serving the Kool-Aid at Imagineering these days could get everyone to buy into this kind of an epic philosophical whiff.

The comparison to other Disney stories is largely irrelevant, because the aims here were different. Disneyland has always acknowledged its theme-park-ness in its design; the goal has never been that you 100% believe you're actually in a medieval village or old New Orleans or what have you. The environments are strongly immersive, but they also exist as part of a larger, explicitly constructed Disneyland reality. For better or for worse, the goal was to do something different with Galaxy's Edge - to hide the theme-park-ness wherever possible.

I think that's a valid goal (even though I wish it were a whole separate park). The question, then, is how you avoid that slightly desolate why-is-there-no-music feeling without just blasting random themes and underscore everywhere. I still think that would have been a miss. My solution:

• Fairly upbeat diegetic music in most parts of the land, perhaps incorporating references to existing themes
  • The aforementioned live musical group (and/or a few solo musicians)
  • More outdoor show-style moments utilizing orchestral scoring
  • Create a Star Wars music track to accompany the fireworks
  • Get Rise of the Resistance open, since I'm sure it'll involve lots of music, and more audibly than with Smuggler's Run, where you have to be able to hear Hondo's instructions
  • Maybe add appropriate orchestral music to a few spots like Dok-Ondar's and First Order Cargo - places that have a distinct mood

There are so many ways to tastefully and strategically get more music in there without just resorting to an endless land-wide loop of Rey's theme, The Asteroid Field, the end credits, etc., etc. [EDIT: That being said, if they were to go to orchestral area BGM, my vote would be to only include it in the areas controlled by the Resistance and the First Order, and to have different loops for each, featuring new arrangements/recordings of material associated with those factions. Then you could stick to the source music in the marketplace and just sound effects elsewhere. Maybe another loop for the awe-inspiring views of the Falcon.]

P.S. @Dieter Stark did you catch the fact that the music for the land's entrances is all variations on the symphonic suite?

How about you consruct your own theme from many many prerecorded elements and it follows you around the park via security cameras and speakers?

You'd do this before entering, while having your Baatu poncho fitted to you, which you would have to wear for actual immersion.

How about anything? There is literally nothing in the entirety of this enormous area aside from the cantina music, which doesn't seem to be JW music. It's outrageous. Insulting, even.

I'm talking about the lack of JW music in the entire Galaxy Edge area. He did compose a theme which is allegedly played in entry tunnels, but all I heard was jingling noises.

I guess I'm just an old-fashioned guy that enjoys Star Wars music and theme park music and I think it's a travesty they opted for awkward silence. Maybe I should just bring a boombox and play the ROTJ OST.

2 hours ago, Dieter Stark said:

I'm talking about the lack of JW music in the entire Galaxy Edge area. He did compose a theme which is allegedly played in entry tunnels, but all I heard was jingling noises.

I guess I'm just an old-fashioned guy that enjoys Star Wars music and theme park music and I think it's a travesty they opted for awkward silence. Maybe I should just bring a boombox and play the ROTJ OST.

Naw you should bump the Revenge of the Sith OST and just brood at different points around the park. 

*Disneyland staff notice Justin standing in a second story of a building, looking down at the throng of Disneyland visitors. They go upstairs to warn him.*

"Sir, it's time to move along."

*Justin continues staring at the crowd, this emanating from his jukebox:

3 hours ago, Dieter Stark said:

How about anything? There is literally nothing in the entirety of this enormous area aside from the cantina music, which doesn't seem to be JW music. It's outrageous. Insulting, even.

Off the top of my head, there's some music inside and outside Docking Bay 7, the Ross arrangements in Savi's Workshop, the land entrance music (your "jingling noises"), the scoring on Smuggler's Run, the cantina, and eventually the scoring in Rise of the Resistance. So the land definitely isn't entirely devoid of music...it just has too many areas within it that are.

Fortunately, theme parks are far more fluid and changeable than film, so there's nothing stopping Disney from adding more music at some point. I wouldn't be surprised. I just hope it ends up being emotionally appropriate and not too repetitive.

Just casually suggest it ;) "This *blank* is sad, wish it was like the *blank* on *insert planet name* here with a street band."

I feel like there have already been some tweaks...I'm in the land right now, hearing the music from the cantina playing in more places outside than I ever noticed before. I also heard some other music over by Savi's workshop that I hadn't noticed before. Maybe I'm just getting more observant...or maybe they're already adding more music? Not sure.

I do wish the music could be louder in Smuggler's Run. Even when you're listening specifically for it, it can be hard to pick stuff out.

It makes sense if they’re adjusting things now that actual crowds are moving through and they’re getting real visitor feedback. I hope to get down there myself this fall when presumably they’ll have optimized the experience even more. 

Obviously some up-and-coming marketing hotshot trying to create a "legacy" by showing off how creative they are for the next bit in their CV. Only that creativity means "shaking things up" and thubverting ekthpektaythuns by making it some avant garde, un-Star Warsy thing or something.

It will be so immersive and really feel real for the guests as though they're really in that universe on a planet we've never heard of created with such realism and attention to detail if we have absolutely no music playing like these parks traditionally do, aside from circus music for the pisser. Never mind that they're surrounded by fat sweaty hillbillies that wash themselves with a rag on a stick, no aliens or robots and some props parked next to rocks and stores selling overpriced junk to geeks and it really feels nothing like Star Wars.