GALAXY'S EDGE - New John Williams composition (2018)

tranders65

3 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Or this might be a perfect moment for the LSO to bring out a 2-CD set with all the Star Wars concert arrangements plus this one re-recorded.

Frankly it's staggering such an obvious thing hasn't happened yet, BUT I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they could be waiting until Williams finishes his third trilogy.

He's written 10 new concert suites in the past 4 years alone (not including any of the new arrangements for ASM); who knows how many more IX will bring.

Hard to believe he only wrote 4 during the entire prequel trilogy, but he was also far more active on non-SW projects at the time.

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

who knows how many more IX will bring.

So far he’s following the prequel trilogy mold.  First movie has a bunch then the second and third only have one each. Let’s hope TROS breaks the pattern.

The most we should expect are two concert suites plus a credits suite, but I expect the latter will just be a surmising of the entire trilogy rather than something as revelatory and original as Jedi Steps and Finale.

There'll be one new concert suite at a minimum, but who knows what he'll write it for. In an ideal world he'd write a suite for the baddies (a fully fledged Kylo Ren/First Order march) and a suite for the goodies (a New Jedi Order/Rey's Destiny type theme).

It seems like that Naomi actress is a significant new character, so there might be a theme for her civilisation as well.

15 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Frankly it's staggering such an obvious thing hasn't happened yet, BUT I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they could be waiting until Williams finishes his third trilogy.

He's written 10 new concert suites in the past 4 years alone (not including any of the new arrangements for ASM); who knows how many more IX will bring.

Hard to believe he only wrote 4 during the entire prequel trilogy, but he was also far more active on non-SW projects at the time.

Yeah, well, I think the LSO should at least endeavour to re-record everything Hal Leonard publishes. It's such a shame that such an unbelievably fantastic orchestra isn't doing it.

Yes, it is quite interesting to see the new characters coming in on the party so late (Ackie's character, that new droid, Dom Monaghan, Richard E. Grant, Kerri Russel, and the entrance of the Knights of Ren, supposedly). Of these Ackie's would seem to be the most involved, so a theme could perhaps be warranted. I just feel like things are getting very busy with the cast, and it might actually choke some of the opportunities for new arrangements. Let's hope not.

4 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Or this might be a perfect moment for the LSO to bring out a 2-CD set with all the Star Wars concert arrangements plus this one re-recorded.

That would be amazing, though I'd be more surprised by that than by a simple "Music of Galaxy's Edge" album. (And if somehow such an LSO album did happen, I would actually prefer that it just include a bunch of existing recordings they've done for Star Wars in the parks. I believe they did the Hyperspace Mountain arrangement and a bunch of re-recordings for the Star Tours queue in Tokyo, if I remember correctly.)

17 hours ago, crumbs said:

Six!

There's the published suite from The Phantom Menace:

1. The Flag Parade

2. Anakin's Theme

3. The Adventures of Jar Jar

4. Duel of the Fates

And then just the one each from episodes 2 and 3:

Across The Stars

Battle of the Heroes

I hope we get a recording of The Flag Parade conducted by Williams one day before I die.

Flag Parade does have unique bits in its concert version, but AFAIR Adventures of Jar-Jar is purely bits from the score melded together.

Yes, Adventures of Jar Jar starts with the music that opens the OST track "The Trip to the Naboo Temple" and then segues to start of the OST track "Jar Jar's Introduction", and then ends with last minute or so of "Watto's Deal & Kids at Play" with just a tighter finishing.  It's not a composed concert piece like the others. 

Running time is 4:57.  You can buy it now if you switch your iTunes store to New Zealand. 

https://itunes.apple.com/nz/album/star-wars-galaxys-edge-symphonic-suite-music-inspired/1460749004

~

I just got done listening. It went live as soon as it became midnight here in EST. 

Sounds great! There's a part at 3:00 where it sounds like it could go right into the Star Wars main title. 

4 minutes ago, Balahkay said:

Parts of it remind me of MOTR.

What's MOTR?

@King Mark and @Datameister, the fanfare is on here! It sounds like it actually wasn't an alternate but was just edited out from the original video. 

--------

OK, just finished listening. Past midnight here but I had to stay up for this. :)

Really great to hear it in proper quality. I remember feeling disappointed in the piece when we got the original video a few months ago, but the full version definitely more than redeems it. 

11 minutes ago, Will said:

@King Mark and @Datameister, the fanfare is on here! It sounds like it actually wasn't an alternate but was just edited out from the original video. 

--------

OK, just finished listening. Past midnight here but I had to stay up for this. :)

Really great to hear it in proper quality. I remember feeling disappointed in the piece when we got the original video a few months ago, but the full version definitely more than redeems it. 

It's still possible it's an alternate to extend the opening with that fanfare from later in the piece.

On 4/18/2019 at 10:23 PM, Datameister said:

That opening fanfare seems to match a bit of sheet music distantly seen in the initial music video with the title "Galaxy's Edge Alt. Beginning." It certainly wasn't recorded as part of "Galaxy's Edge" proper, which starts with a big slow swell directly into the shimmering strings. (The swell at the beginning of the alternate beginning, as heard under Josh Gad's closing words in the video you linked, is different.

Only difference I notice is it had a clean opening where this version has the opening from the old video going into it.

maybe it's the edit I'm hearing that sounds like a slight brass flub

god only 2 hours ago I was listening to my bad sounding  bits thinking this had no chance in hell of being released

and when's the last time we've had a full on bombastic 5 minute Williams fanfare like this?

Interesting this was the only piece released. Maybe they're withholding the rest because they don't want to ruin experiencing them in the park itself? Like the action setpieces he apparently wrote for the rides. 

we don't know for sure there's anything else. This could be the actual music for one of the  rides

Remember the coke add used some arrangements of SW music not by him

This is a masterpiece :)There is so much going on in this, it’s so vibrant and full of ideas. I would pay the price of a double CD only for these 5 minutes. Do you think there is a chance for a CD? And do we have a confirmation that Williams composed something more for Galaxy's Edge?

Thread title should be updated to indicate full release of the piece for people not bothering to read every new post

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Any day that new John Williams music is released is a great day!  So excited to listen to this on repeat this morning.

Indeed! Such lovely pomp and pizzazz in this piece! :)