Jump to content
Jay

John Williams' DRACULA - MUSIC ONLY discussion

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, rough cut said:

It’s been so long since I saw the movie... A 1900s waltz from JW, I can’t remember picking it up in the movie... But I want to hear it! It’s a bit sad it’s not on the DE.

 

Regarding source cues, I understand JW’s reluctance to not have them released but so much time has passed since the movie was scored and released... I wish he’d embrace a more open minded relationship to these mature scores.

 

Knowing he doesn’t want it released, it seems almost disrespectful to wish for a release... in the future. : /

 

A prime example of entitlement!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2019 at 8:36 PM, rough cut said:

It’s been so long since I saw the movie... A 1900s waltz from JW, I can’t remember picking it up in the movie... But I want to hear it! It’s a bit sad it’s not on the DE.

 

Regarding source cues, I understand JW’s reluctance to not have them released but so much time has passed since the movie was scored and released... I wish he’d embrace a more open minded relationship to these mature scores.

 

Knowing he doesn’t want it released, it seems almost disrespectful to wish for a release... in the future. : /

I guess Williams considers source music, unless it is something very dear to his heart or has some particular fondness for doing some individual cue in some source music style or sees the source material very closely connected with the fabric of a particular film, even less interesting than he often might view some of his actual film cues to be in a complete score presentation when he thinks these things from the point of view of a composer. Some diegetic source music like the Cantina Band or Harry Potter source pieces are so iconic or memorable in their own right he readily releases them, even as part of the soundtrack album, whereas things like marching band music from Jaws or this waltz from Dracula are simply not on his radar as particularly good music, just stuff he had to compose as a background real world ambiance for a scene to give it some verisimilitude.

 

And of course you can't underestimate the negotiations concerning these things that people like Matessino go through to get the scores released and I bet source music, if it isn't of exceptionally notable quality or in close connection to the film score, might be the first and easiest thing to leave off these releases. That said it I too think it is a bit of a shame this material is not released (even if it is preserved when the tapes are transferred from analog to digital) but if truth be told there are precious few source pieces from Williams' scores that I personally view as so notable or lovely I consider then a must-have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Superman source cues are some of the least interesting I've heard, library stock level at first glance, but they still are released, some multiple times. Not with their own score this last round, but still.

In the case of Dracula I could also see presenting the long OOP OST finally in listenable quality on CD as its own thing being more the goal than making it a "dump disc" with shit that simply didn't fit on D1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Holko said:

The Superman source cues are some of the least interesting I've heard, library stock level at first glance, but they still are released, some multiple times. Not with their own score this last round, but still.

In the case of Dracula I could also see presenting the long OOP OST finally in listenable quality on CD as its own thing being more the goal than making it a "dump disc" with shit that simply didn't fit on D1.

Yes. I suppose each score warrants a case-by-case consideration of how to present them on disc and what to include. Several of Mike Matessino's interviews tell as much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was 19 minutes of the source music from SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE. How else could they fit on the already full cds? [LLL set i.e] 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Amer said:

There was 19 minutes of the source music from SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE. How else could they fit on the already full cds? [LLL set i.e] 

Yes it was a rather strange way to do it to cram them on the Superman II and III release but it would not have not fitted on the new Supeman the Movie set so I think the end justifies the means. I am rather surprised Williams allowed them to release that source music in the first place. Glad he did though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Incanus said:

Yes it was a rather strange way to do it to cram them on the Superman II and III release but it would not have not fitted on the new Supeman the Movie set so I think the end justifies the means. I am rather surprised Williams allowed them to release that source music in the first place. Glad he did though.

 

 

Yes, but I tend to think that this was initially planned as a 4CD set. They would have put the film score program on Disc 1 & 2 , Alternates & Source music on Disc 3 and the OST on Disc 4. Until John Williams management decided to nix the Source cues from the set. The rest is history.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This release greatly increased my appreciation for this score. It's fantastic. One of the best JW expansions ever, in terms of actually improving the perception one has of a given score

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can anyone provide timestamps for the Van Helsing motif that I just read in the liner notes, which is in "Grave trampling and the asylum", "into the crypt" and "van helsing's solution"?

(I just got my cd )
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...