Adding choir lyrics to existing Star Wars pieces

Caliburn

I have attended a lot of film music concerts in my recent years, but yesterday I experienced something new. It was a concert wherein the second half only Star Wars music was played. That half started with The Imperial March... with choir.... and with lyrics. Not only had they added choir parts to that amazing piece, but the choir also sang during the Main Theme, The Asteroid Field and Across the Stars.

I am extremely conflicted by it. On one side, it sounded new and interesting. On the other side, the film music purist in me hated it. One thing was clear to me: It did not work in Across the Stars. The oboe and harp parts are too delicate to have 50-person choir singing over them.

Have some of you heard this before and has any of you any idea what kind of lyrics they are singing?

Did you go to the concert touring The Netherlands? I went there last week and noticed it too.

I had heard a few recordings with choir before (such as The Imperial March), but Across the Stars was a new one.

Indeed I found myself kind-of wishing they'd left the choir out of that one...

There was a sudden bit of choir also in The Flag Parade and The Asteroid Field.

Hey I went there just now!

I was hoping this was done more often, because I would like a recording of that. (especially the ANH opening for the stardestroyer flyover)

I only managed to record the 2nd encore, and the crowd was clapping too much at that point.

I was surprised they included Flag Parade at all. And there were no lyrics I think. Just vocal noises.

(PS: You can recognize the true star wars fans when they dont start clapping during A Duel of Fates' false ending)

17 hours ago, artguy360 said:

What were the lyrics and who wrote them?

That is exactly my question as well 🙂 I assume they were added later? Was Williams involved?

I hope they recorded it and are gonna place it online somewhere.

Edit:  I found a few links to a not halfbad recording of it. (Though this concert was in a different place than where I saw it, and only has like 4 of the 20 pieces used)

50 minutes ago, Jay said:

When I was a kid I wrote my own lyrics to various SW themes in my head so I could better know what theme was playing when

Leia's theme was "Prin-cess, Leia's really nice.... prin CESS, Lei-a's really nice"

H&L's Love theme was "I love you, oh yes I do, I love you, I really dooooo-oooo"

The Force was "The FORCE, IS, really SPECial, The force, surrounds and bi-yi-yinds us"

The main theme / Luke's theme was "Luke, Sky, Lu-uke Sky WALKer, Lu-uke SkyWALKer, he's kickin' ass"

:' )

On 11/21/2018 at 11:38 AM, MedigoScan said:

Edit:  I found a few links to a not halfbad recording of it. (Though this concert was in a different place than where I saw it, and only has like 4 of the 20 pieces used)

Thank you for those movies. Apparently, it is from the first show of the tour in Eindhoven. I went to their concert in Groningen.

Yeah, and I went to the ConcertBuilding in Amsterdam.

The sound quality was staggering.

I stand corrected on the lyrics as well perhaps. But I cant make out what they are singing.

Het Concertgebouw in Amsterdam is one of the best venues in Europe (IMHO) 🙂

Our concert was amplified, unfortunately.

Found another link

Annoyingly it edits through a lot of stuff.

It does have samples of the Asteroid Chase, Across the Stars and Flag Parade, but cuts way every time. Augh.

also the lyrics may be Romanian?? If the name of the group is anything to go by. (The voices dont come in clearly a lot of the time here)

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2018 at 9:28 AM, Caliburn said:

For who is interested, I just published my report on this concert.

https://soundtrackworld.com/2018/12/star-wars-suite-groningen/

Ah, that finally explains the one piece of music I couldn't recognise:

• Mykola Lysenko – Ouverture from Taras Bulba

I was wondering too. Having never seen Amistad, I wondered if it was just from that movie as well.

I still hope there's an official release of this down the line. (And yes it sounded amazing in amsterdam)