Schindler's List - 2CD 25th Anniversary Edition from La-La Land Records (2018)

Jay

Yes, a bit underwhelming. (no film chronological order either)

I guess the sessions aren't obsolete.

Does anyone know what the piece Reflections might be from the sessions?

Maybe it's the piano theme with the extension?

1 minute ago, filmmusic said:

Does anyone know what the piece Reflections might be from the sessions?

Maybe it's the piano theme with the extension?

That is my guess.

Yeah there was not that much unreleased music. The sessions with hours of music give a really wrong picture of how much there was truly unique unreleased music available.

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

I'm sorry but that's just not true.  Other than source music, everything's here.

I guess it depends on your definition of what constitutes as 'everything'. Don't the sessions have alternate inserts of I Could Have Done More before the final film version? Arguably just early takes but still different enough from the final film version to warrant release (IMHO). Perhaps the volume of source music in the session leaks skews the impression of how much material is missing, I'll wear that. I never expected choirless versions of cues to be released, that's for sure.

As I said earlier, I completely understand why this was probably a difficult release to convince Williams/Spielberg of a chronological, film order assembly with OST + alternates at on disc 2. I'll still buy it but, as @filmmusic says, it just means the sessions are not made obsolete (mostly thanks to source music).

2 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Don't the sessions have alternate inserts of I Could Have Done More before the final film version? Arguably just early takes but still different enough from the final film version to warrant release (IMHO).

Yes, and that is included in this set.

37 minutes ago, Jay said:

I'm sorry but that's just not true.  Other than source music, everything's here.

well my favorite piece from the session is The Burial Scene alternates with no choir. I don;t see  it there

Seems slightly more interesting than the SPR c..d.so I might grab it with Potter

I don't believe John Williams has ever authorized that a choir-free version of any of his music be released.

7 hours ago, El Jefe said:

Thank you for putting out the flames of false speculation and accusations. 

There's plenty of Williams-conducted source music unreleased from this score. There's nothing "false" or "accusatory" about my statements whatsoever and your attempts to label them such are disingenuous, so you might want to reconsider your comment. 

There's nothing wrong with being disappointed that Williams has vetoed this music from being included on this release. For me, any music conducted by Williams is a precious thing and it would have been nice to "close the book" on requiring the recording sessions for this score.

7 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Is this much coveted source music score-like or Middle Eastern/Jewish-like?

No all of it is period dance music, not composed by Williams.

6 minutes ago, King Mark said:

is the source music on the sessions?

of course.

It has some nice tangos in there too.

The thing is I don't understand why Williams has 2 different measures.

In Home alone they included the source music.

What would it hurt if they put it here too, in the end of the presentation?

It isn't like it would ruin the listening experience.

Awesome! I'll order it on the first day.

But this seems a little anticlimactic after the announcement of the Complete John Williams Harry Potter Collection!

Hell, anything will seem anticlimactic after that. 😂

1 minute ago, Josh500 said:

Awesome! I'll order it on the first day.

But this seems a little anticlimactic after the announcement of the Complete John Williams Harry Potter Collection!

Hell, anything will seem anticlimactic after that. 😂

I honestly thought they would release Superman instead of this now.

3 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Deep down, I never really believed HP will be released. It took me completely by surprise.

yeah I was prepared to be let down today

4 minutes ago, King Mark said:

yeah I was prepared to be let down today

Well, I would have been happy with any JW release, but I never actually expected the Complete HARRY POTTER! 

It's like your first girlfriend, after an eternity of dating and cuddling, finally saying, Yes, we can go all the way now... At first, you don't believe it'll ever happen, and once it happens, you can't believe your luck. Your mind is almost paralysed. :D

10 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Deep down, I never really believed HP will be released. It took me completely by surprise.

Well both Mike Matessino and Jay were of course mum on the whole Harry Potter thing in London in October but the little slip in the programme notes of the JW concert gave good hope for this.

16 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

of course.

It has some nice tangos in there too.

In Home alone they included the source music.

What would it hurt if they put it here too, in the end of the presentation?

It isn't like it would ruin the listening experience.

I think in this case he wants the release to focus only the original music written for the film, presented in the way he prefers (the OST assembly), but also offering bonus cues for fans and admirers of his work. I think source music stuff is always just a curio for JW and he wouldn't have it out on a commercial release. Sometimes he doesn't oppose for specialty releases, other times he might have a consideration or two about it. I guess he feels particulary proud and protective about his work on SL and probably doesn't feel the source music is something fitting for this presentation.

So this year we got/ will be getting:

The Cowboys 

Saving Private Ryan 

Dracula

Complete Harry Potter Collection 

Schindler's List 

Land of the Giants

Indeed a year for the books! :woop:

6 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

I think in this case he wants the release to focus only the original music written for the film, presented in the way he prefers (the OST assembly), but also offering bonus cues for fans and admirers of his work. I think source music stuff is always just a curio for JW and he wouldn't have it out on a commercial release. Sometimes he doesn't oppose for specialty releases, other times he might have a consideration or two about it. I guess he feels particulary proud and protective about his work on SL and probably doesn't feel the source music is something fitting for this presentation.

I don't really care about the popular songs, but at least they could have included the music recorded for this film but not written by JW! 

Por Una Cabeza and In einem kleinen Café in Hernals, especially!

But whatever. I'm still on Cloud Nine over the complete Harry Potter Collection! 

1 minute ago, crocodile said:

13 discs of JW, no less.

Karol

Not a bad haul for a single year.

Plus the Adventures of Han of course. ;) 

28 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Well both Mike Matessino and Jay were of course mum on the whole Harry Potter thing in London in October but the little slip in the programme notes of the JW concert gave good hope for this.

It's funny, I saw it, understood and accepted what it said, but I still didn't believe it would happen!

44 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Doesn't everryone have different measures?

It possible has to do with the subject matter of the film?

Very nice!

Tbh I'm actually quite surprised to see any sort of expansion for this. The fact that it's essentially the original album with bonus tracks supports what I assumed would be the case about Williams being happy with/protective of the OST presentation.

I'll probably have to wait a bit but I'll definitely be ordering. I don't imagine this will sell out quickly.

5 minutes ago, Alan said:

Very nice!

Tbh I'm actually quite surprised to see any sort of expansion for this. The fact that it's essentially the original album with bonus tracks supports what I assumed would be the case about Williams being happy with/protective of the OST presentation.

I'll probably have to wait a bit but I'll definitely be ordering. I don't imagine this will sell out quickly.

I thought it was going to be more of a C&C release TBH. But that's mainly from seeing the tracklist of the partial sessions and assuming that there was masses of unreleased music.

However with Potter having come out, this is great for those who wanted it. What I didn't want to see was this being their 'big' title and being made to feel I should care aboiut this score.

5 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I thought it was going to be more of a C&C release TBH. But that's mainly from seeing the tracklist of the partial sessions and assuming that there was masses of unreleased music.

However with Potter having come out, this is great for those who wanted it. What I didn't want to see was this being their 'big' title and being made to feel I should care aboiut this score.

Yeah the sessions track list is misleading since there are quite a few takes of each piece (including all the source music) on it without many significant changes to the music itself and not a huge amount of unreleased music so the OST already contained lion's share of the actual score. I am perfectly fine with Williams wanting to preserve the album and adding the rest of the music, however little there is, on disc 2 as a bonus. 

The release also ties into the 25th anniversary release of the films in cinemas so I can understand that this release is to commemorate that in a more mass market format and as such follows the suit of the Saving Private Ryan with similar release earlier this year.

4 hours ago, King Mark said:

well my favorite piece from the session is The Burial Scene alternates with no choir. I don;t see  it there

I'm not familiar with the leak, but is this a true alternate (i.e. a different composition, or at least a performance intended to be choir-less), or is it just the instrumental session that was always intended to be mixed with a separately recorded choir part? Because I suppose that's what we had with the HA2 alternate, and such things in general are pretty pointless, because the instrumental parts have all kinds of "gaps" (in volume and orchestration) where the choir is supposed to come in. In that case, it's not an alternate, just an incomplete mix. Like releasing the theme (in its original version) without the violin. It can be "interesting", but it doesn't make sense musically, and I'd expect most composers to be against releasing something like it. (I do have a bit of a soft spot for the HA2 simply because the choir in the full mix is so shrill that I've always had conflicted feelings about it)

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I'm not familiar with the leak, but is this a true alternate (i.e. a different composition, or at least a performance intended to be choir-less), or is it just the instrumental session that was always intended to be mixed with a separately recorded choir part?

The latter. The piece is written for orchestra and choir. The leaked sessions contained only the cues recorded in Boston and LA, while the choir was recorded later on in Toronto.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I don't see the elusive cue Schindler's Grocery List.

That was composed and arranged by William Ross from Williams’ sketches.

2 minutes ago, El Jefe said:

That was composed and arranged by William Ross from Williams’ sketches.

I thought it was Angela Morley, who also arranged the source music for this score.

The Artwork is very classy! I'am really looking forward to upgrade in the sound quality. I think the inclusion of the source cues would have been detrimental to the whole tone of the album and keeping in view of its serious nature. Its Williams award winning score and it deserves all the regal treatment here. 

Definitely looking forward to getting this. However, I may need to have a tissue or two on hand. I'll also be seeing it in theaters

One curiosity though: I heard that there was an alternate of the entire Schindler's Workforce, in addition to two alternates of the cue called The Money Exchange.

Is that true, and is that included? Basically, is all of John Williams' score included?