Schindler's List - 2CD 25th Anniversary Edition from La-La Land Records (2018)

Jay

On 11/25/2018 at 8:54 PM, Brundlefly said:

The alternates are all there, aren't they? It's just alternate takes that you are talking about.

Are they? I dunno. Anyway, let's not altercate over alternates... 😊

21 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Funny, how nobody talks about this set...

Hey, this goes on sale today as well! 

I guess because it has been so well represented on the soundtrack album from the beginning with only a few select things missing.

But yeah I'll most certainly will be bundling this up with the Potter box in my order.

1 minute ago, Josh500 said:

@Incanus What about The Land of Giants? 

You not gonna order that? 

Nope. A bit too little of John Williams on that set to justify the purchase. I already own the old GNP Crescendo release which is enough for me of this particular TV show music. I have no special connection to the series and haven't seen it and there is a tad too little Williams on the set as a whole for it to be enticing enough a buy. I didn't buy the Lost in Space box either. Way too costly.

Same here. I have the Irwin Allen 6 CD box (and the Vol.3 of LiS) as well as the LLL LiS 2 CD set. I cannot justify the purchase of this or the LiS box based on the cost. 15 years ago though I would have been all over this and the LiS box (back in my JW completism phase).

Ordered Harry Potter and Schindler's List!

Order # 167104 and Order # 167169, respectively. I'm a little bummed that I have to wait until December 3 & 7 for Schindler's List and Harry Potter to ship out, respectively. It will be more then worth the wait, though.

3 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

Ordered Harry Potter and Schindler's List!

Order #167104 and Order # 167169, respectfully. I'm a little bummed that I have to wait until December 3 & 7 for Schindler's List and Harry Potter to ship out, respectfully. It will be more then worth the wait, though.

Out of interest why did you order these separately? So SL ships immediately rather than 4 days later with Potter? 

Actually, a family member ordered Harry Potter for me as a birthday present. I ordered Schindler’s List.

Schindler’s List begins shipping on December 3, while Harry Potter begins shipping on December 7, which incidentally is the same day that Schindler’s List is re-released in theaters (on the anniversary of Pearl Harbor).

1 minute ago, JohnnyD said:

Harry Potter begins shipping on December 7, which incidentally is the same day that Schindler’s List is re-released in theaters (on the anniversary of Pearl Harbor).

A day that will live in infamy.

Ordered, and I got Saving Private Ryan to go along with it.  I'd been waiting on that one for when this came out, and now it is done.  Also Harry Potter, Bram Stoker's Dracula, The World Is Not Enough, AND The Haunting of Hill House.

Basically I just handed LLL my wallet and told 'em to do whatever as long as I got my license back.  Oof.

I'll hold off until Superman to purchase this. I like buying multiple scores at once due to their international shipping cost structure (it's really expensive buying releases individually). 

I still don't have The Fury either, so that's on my list too. 

I do not believe disc 1 was altered in any way but don't quote me on that. I know for certain it was not a total rebuild.

It's really the same thing as Saving Private Ryan... unchanged OST plus bonus tracks for the anniversary as a theatrical rereleae and 4K Blu Ray were happening. I doubt either score will be revisited again until.... the future.

On 11/27/2018 at 10:01 PM, Not Mr. Big said:

Is the sound quality remastered?  Could do without some of the chair creaking.

"Disc One of this special 2-CD presentation showcases the original soundtrack assembly, sourced from the original 1993 release’s 24-karat gold Ultimate Masterdisc digital master, while Disc Two contains previously unreleased tracks, sourced from engineer Shawn Murphy’s stereo digital masters, including two major cues that are now presented in the versions heard in the picture: “Schindler’s Workforce” and “I Could Have Done More,” both of which underwent revisions after the 1993 album had been prepared."

BTW, a user at FSM put together a listing of the cues in the order Williams intended, and I updated it to be in film order. I definitely intend to make a film order mix, here it is just so people have it and don't have to search the various threads here:

05 · Schindler's Workforce (9:08) [The Money Exchange / Recruiting]
09A Stolen Memories [0:00-3:04] · (3:04) [The Luggage Scene]
OYF'N Pripetshok - from the Billy Bathgate soundtrack album
06B Nacht Aktion [1:05-end] · (1:51)
09B [3:04-end] · (1:16) [The Perlman Family]
03 · Immolation (With Our Lives, We Give Life) (4:43) [The Burial Scene]
10 · Making The List (5:10) [Typing The List]
11A Give Me Your Names [0:00-2:14] · (2:14) [Say Your Name]
08 · Auschwitz-Birkenau (3:40) [The Shower Scene]
11B [2:14-end] · (2:40) [Returning Women]
07 · I Could Have Done More (5:52) [I Could Have Saved More]
Yeroushalaim Chel Zahav - from the Pour Sacha soundtrack album
01 · Theme From Schindler's List (4:15) [Placing The Stones]
14 · Theme From Schindler's List (Reprise) (2:59) [End Credits Piano Overlay / End Credits Extension]
04 · Remembrances (4:20)

Bonus tracks:
02 · Jewish Town (Krakow Ghetto - Winter '41) (4:40) [The Journey To Crakow (Introduction And Theme)]
06A [0:00-1:05] OYF'N Pripetshok - album version
12 · Yeroushalaim Chel Zahav - album version
13 · Remembrances (With Itzhak Perlman) (5:16) [End Credits]

Track 2 is a concert arrangement, track 13 was originally recorded as the end credits, before tracks 14 and 4 were swapped in right before the film came out.

15 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Why was disc one not remastered at all? I totally understand Williams' attachment to the album itself, but it could have done with an upgrade. I needs to be LOUDER.

I think a DJ Tiesto Remix tribute CD should have been attached to this. With some good phat beats.

So was I!

No not really. But neither have I had any complaints about the loudness of this score.

13 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Why was disc one not remastered at all? I totally understand Williams' attachment to the album itself, but it could have done with an upgrade. I needs to be LOUDER.

No!

I should have clarified, I was specifically meaning the ones who aren't buying because of lack of source cues, or happy with the OST, etc.  I would never judge budgetary reasons.  I apologize for appearing offensive. 

On 11/27/2018 at 4:58 PM, JohnnyD said:

Actually, a family member ordered Harry Potter for me as a birthday present. I ordered Schindler’s List.

Schindler's List started shipping yesterday. I should have it Friday or Saturday; I am hoping for Friday, as I am going to the theater to experience it on the big screen. The Maestro's score will be an unforgettable companion piece to my seeing the 25th anniversary re-release.

8 hours ago, rpvee said:

Yerushalayim Shel (or “Chel”, though Schindler’s List is really the only place I’ve seen it spelled like that)

Thanks so much for all the amazing info! So great to know the name of the group who recorded that version, the liner notes of the Pour Sacha CD say it's performed by Naomi Shemer, but I suspected that was a misprint.

By the way, the song is also spelled as "Chel" on the Pour Sacha CD:

s-l500.jpg

I suspect that's where they got that spelling for Schindler's List, since they used the recording from that CD in the film. Then, when they recorded the SL album version, they just used the same spelling.

9 hours ago, rpvee said:

This may have been mentioned earlier, but the song is about Jerusalem, and has nothing to do with the Holocaust, so another song was used for screenings of Schindler’s List in Israel. 

I actually like that about the song, as it's used in the film, because it's a hopeful moment as they all leave the camp and crest the hill toward freedom, and then transition into the survivors in the present, on another hill, in Jerusalem. Obviously the specific Six Day War connotations the song has in Israel made it distracting to audiences there, but without that, just as an ode to the eternal power of Jerusalem, I actually find it really appropriate for that sequence. :)