Schindler's List - 2CD 25th Anniversary Edition from La-La Land Records (2018)

Jay

I can't read your cue sheets, I don't understand them.

Can you just paste a playlist (without edits), in an understandable language please?

😁

You can't make SL chronological without editing tracks. 

I think if you click my link and look again, you'll find it easier to read than the usual ones. 

No problem, I will wait for a suggestion for a playlist without editing.

This playlist found on this website... is a start, but there's surely a variant to include some tracks of the new 2nd CD:

S5 - Schindler's Workforce (9:08)
S9 - Stolen Memories (:00-3:04)
S6 - OYF'N Pripetshok - Nacht Aktion (2:56)
S9 - Stolen Memories (3:04-End) [Rename to "Pearlman"]
S3 - Immolation (With Our Lives, We Give Life) (4:44)
S10 - Making The List (5:11)
S11 - Give Me Your Names (:00-2:14.5)
S8 - Auschwitz-Birkenau (3:41)
S11 - Give Me Your Names (2:14.5-End) [Rename to "The Returning Women"]
S7 - I Could Have Done More (5:52)
S12 - Yeroushalaim Chel Zahav (Jerusalem of Gold) (2:17)
S1 - Theme from Schindler's List (4:16)
S14 - Theme from Schindler's List (Reprise) (3:00)
S4 - Remembrances (4:20)

So basically, we can only add the two movie versions to the playlist, the other tracks on the 2nd CD are alt ones.

So here's my C&C Playlist without editing:

image.png

23 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Some people (such as myself), think that track ordering with respect to optimal listening experience is just as valid an approach.

15 hours ago, Faleel J.M. said:

And some people consider chronological to be that optimal listening experience.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwj4u4famcDfAhVJTt8KHZmXDEYQjhx6BAgBEAM&url=https%3A%2F%2Fmakeagif.com%2Fgif%2Fhey-you-got-peanut-butter-in-my-chocolate-high-quality-vhs-rip-1981-NACqoF&psig=AOvVaw2PmrRFGTWj86OWQm_QKl0D&ust=1546006617455156

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

No problem, I will wait for a suggestion for a playlist without editing.

This playlist found on this website... is a start, but there's surely a variant to include some tracks of the new 2nd CD:

S5 - Schindler's Workforce (9:08)
S9 - Stolen Memories (:00-3:04)
S6 - OYF'N Pripetshok - Nacht Aktion (2:56)
S9 - Stolen Memories (3:04-End) [Rename to "Pearlman"]
S3 - Immolation (With Our Lives, We Give Life) (4:44)
S10 - Making The List (5:11)
S11 - Give Me Your Names (:00-2:14.5)
S8 - Auschwitz-Birkenau (3:41)
S11 - Give Me Your Names (2:14.5-End) [Rename to "The Returning Women"]
S7 - I Could Have Done More (5:52)
S12 - Yeroushalaim Chel Zahav (Jerusalem of Gold) (2:17)
S1 - Theme from Schindler's List (4:16)
S14 - Theme from Schindler's List (Reprise) (3:00)
S4 - Remembrances (4:20)

So basically, we can only add the two movie versions to the playlist, the other tracks on the 2nd CD are alt ones.

That is all literally the exact identical information from my spreadsheet I posted.

Also Bespin seems to have missed these posts from this thread

On 11/23/2018 at 8:56 PM, Jay said:

The OST was aleady complete, in the sense that one version of every score cue he wrote for the film was already on it.  This new set adds alternate versions of the same cues, not additional cues that go between what we already had or anything. 

On 12/14/2018 at 9:02 AM, Jay said:
  •     1.    Schindler's Workforce (Film Version)    12:09 = The exact same assembly of takes of 2M3/3M1 The Money Exchange3M1B Recruiting that the film uses (the OST album track used different takes and edit points)
  •     2.    Reflections    2:42 = 19M2/20M1 Insert 1, the first attempt to re-do the middle portion of 19M2/20M1 I Could Have Saved More that ultimately got rejected and Insert 2 was recorded and used instead
  •     3.    Theme For Recorder    2:15 = Something recorded at the sessions I believe as potential end credit material
  •     4.    Remembrances (Alternate)    4:31 = An early take with different instrumentation
  •     5.    The Perlman Family    1:15 = An early take of 10M1 The Perlman Family with a different guitar solo, the take used in the film was already on the OST as the second half of "Stolen Memories"
  •     6.    I Could Have Done More (Film Version) *    5:56 = 19M2/20M1 I Could Have Saved More with 19M2/20M1 Insert 2 properly edited into it, like in the final film.  The OST album track is just the original cue with no inserts included.

On 12/19/2018 at 12:42 AM, artguy360 said:

Does anyone have a custom play order that mixes of the of the OST and the new material?

On 12/19/2018 at 3:48 AM, crumbs said:

I would probably try something like this. Essentially chronological with a few concert suites inserted strategically (as the opening track and the Jewish Town suite early in the presentation as in the film. Also, an alternate included alongside its final film version, similar to MM's current methodology). One track from the OST (Give Me Your Names) requires editing; sadly there's a crossfade so you'll need the sessions for clean openings/endings.

The Film Score

D1-13. Remembrances [with Itzhak Perlman] * 5:16
D2-1. Schindler's Workforce (Film Version) 12:09
D1-2. Jewish Town [Krakow Ghetto – Winter ’41] * 4:40
D1-9. Stolen Memories 4:20
D2-5. The Perlman Family 1:15
D1-6. OYF’N Pripetshok *** and Nacht Aktion ** 2:56
D1-3. Immolation [With Our Lives, We Give Life] 4:44
D1-10. Making The List 5:11
D1-11. Give Me Your Names 4:55 (16M2 only 0:00 - 2:15)
D1-8. Auschwitz-Birkenau * 3:41
D1-11. Give Me Your Names 4:55 (18M1 only 2:15 - 4:54)
D2-6. I Could Have Done More (Film Version) * 5:56
D1-12. Yeroushalaim Chel Zahav [Jerusalem Of Gold] 2:17
D1-1. Theme From Schindler’s List * 4:16
D1-14. Theme From Schindler’s List [Reprise] 3:00
D1-4. Remembrances (End Credits) 4:20

Additional music section arranged to match the film's narrative, like MM's assemblies.

Additional Music
D1-5. Schindler’s Workforce (Album Version) 9:08
D2-2. Reflections (Unused Insert) 2:42
D1-7. I Could Have Done More (Original Version) * 5:52
D2-3. Theme For Recorder 2:15
D2-4. Remembrances (Unused Alternate) 4:31

Feel free to correct if I've mixed some cues up in this order. This was my source. Obviously source music is excluded at this stage, I'd probably keep that entirely separate from the score.

Again, my link I posted just before you asked already had all this information laid out in an easy to read manner.

Now that we are talking about film order and different versions... What about the source material on the leaked sessions? I mean, do someone (@Jay, for example) knows which where the takes that got to the film mix? 

Someone posted which takes were used in the film in the thread for the sessions IIRC

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/15036-schindlers-list-4cd-recording-sessions/

EDIT: It's this post here:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/15036-schindlers-list-4cd-recording-sessions/&do=findComment&comment=522286

The column on the right is the take used.

3 minutes ago, mstrox said:

The ability to ask for help is a strength!

I know! Do you think I have only that to do in life, reading threads of 7 pages, full of 2m22, 1m10, 2m44, alternates, spreadsheet here, spreadsheet there, edit that, edit this, edit this, and so?

NO.

I ask simple questions and I want simple answers!

Again, the spreadsheet is not like you are describing.  It is a simple list of each track and the order to put them in.  Did you even look at it before complaining about it?

image.png

How is that confusing?

Jay, day two I was here on the forum, I explained to you that your spreadsheets are "YOUR" way of describing the content of a score and/or an album.

At the times, I saw the one you made for E.T., and it was to my eyes, very problematic!

Anyway...

3 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Jay, day two I was here on the forum, I explained to you that your spreadsheets are "YOUR" way of describing the music.

Describing the music?

It's true, I started my discography in 2016 because no one existed at that time!

There was a website with the BSO albums on one side, there was http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/ at the other side, but obviously, only with soundtracks, a tons of bootlegs and soooo many errors about the international releases... Then, that German fan site... with a tons of CD-R and errors as well... oh my God, the way this website was organized... a real mess, and a lot of missing things!  There was also the website part of this forum... a filmography more than a discography... usefull for the compositions... but then again, incomplete and problematic about it's organization... Finally there where some online vinyls and singles databases here and there, but very incomplete...

It's was a nightmare.

So, when I arrived here.... I quickly spotted a guy named @Miguel Andrade. WOW!!!

The Master Yoda of this forum, nothing less!

Then @Thorand @Stempel helped me at the beginning too.

I also got the "not-always-easy-to-get" help of @Jay, I'm not afraid of saying it, who made me discover the reality of "re-recorded" albums. At that time it was a sort of "secret" information shared between serious fans only, or I should say a "WELL THAT'S OBVIOUS!!!!" sort of thing... well.... that was not obvious at all and that's why I documented them very well on my discography!

So that's it, that's the genesis of everything.

3 years almost... 

4 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Child! 

Ive been here for almost 19 years!

Well in 3 years I made the most complete and comprehensive discography of John Williams ever made.

You... you just raised your post level during this time!

😜

6 minutes ago, Bespin said:

So, it's when I arrived here.... and meet a guy named @Miguel Andrade. WOW!!!

That's the first time I've seen you say "WOW!!!" outside of talking about sexual activity. Unless...

9 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

There's no skill to what you did, Bespin Just list whatever was out there.

Everything i did here, i did myself!

I untied knots... That's the only thing I did.

EDIT: And I'm still the only one, up to this day, who methodically put a figure on JW's huuuuuuuuge and impressive discography.

image.png

Some questions about the score just going from the sheets - 

1. There's seems to be 45 minutes of music for a film that is over 3 hours. Is this the sparest JW score ever? (I know The Post is spare to but that's a much shorter film).

2. The very elaborate and beautiful Jewish Town theme - is it only heard in the Workforce track, and that too in a very stripped down form, most of the time just using fragments?

Seems odd that Williams would even write a full beautiful theme when the intention was to use it in such a cut up version in the film.

I never realized Workforce was the first cue in the film! Again seems a bit late to have the first piece of music in the film.

1 hour ago, TheUlyssesian said:

The very elaborate and beautiful Jewish Town theme - is it only heard in the Workforce track, and that too in a very stripped down form, most of the time just using fragments?

It pops in very small fragments I believe, the one that I can think of in the top of my head is in the Immolation Scene.

• 2 weeks later...

Isn’t it curious they used the “original 1993 release’s 24-karat gold Ultimate Masterdisc digital master” as source for disc 1.

Isn’t that the same master as the original pressing - just pressed onto different material, that supposedly made it sound better?

There was a K2HD master a couple of years ago - that are supposed to sound better - why not use that one? Or is it purely a licensing issue and that one actually sounds better?

Also, there’s a recently released SACD of the OST. I wouldn’t have minded this release to be a hybrid so that it included the hi-res version. Why not include it? I am sure the fans would have coughed up the extra $US 7, or whatever.

I saw this comment earlier but haven’t had the time to listen for myself yet. Which disc is the better sounding one?

But I think I would really like to know the answers to these...

1. Why state that it is the “gold disc” - wasn’t the mastering on that one the same as the OST?

2. What happened with the K2HD mix? Isn’t that supposed to be superior to the OST - and -  if so, why not use that one?

3. Why no SACD-hybrid?