Schindler's List - 2CD 25th Anniversary Edition from La-La Land Records (2018)

Jay

18 hours ago, Chewy said:

No one is noticing compressed sound in the beginning of I Could Have Done More (Film Version) ?

So yesterday, I listened to this on my proper hifi-set up. It's the first time since I've gone back to it since I received it (and then only had it playing in the background).Yes, it sounds compressed.

I don’t think there’s much to do, it is what it is. Any record company is under no obligation to subtract or replace a CD due to comparatively low frequency range in regards to industry standards.

I guess even more so for archival editions.

So this was probably an unfortunate mishap, something went wrong in the handling, and based on Jay’s telling of how hard it was for MM to get any kind of bonus material, I guess we’re lucky to have anything at all.

Even if it’s basically just mp3s pressed on a disc...

44 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Or: we start buying this massively so that it goes out of print and people want a re-issue and then we campaign for a proper one.

Buy The Lost World first!

Has anyone actually contacted LLL about the clipping issue on this release? Their customer service is generally excellent, I'm sure they'd at least investigate with Mike.

Well I don't think anyone's asking for a re-issue but an explanation would be nice. There was no indication from LLL that they had to use sub-par sources to assemble this release, but if the composer insisted on using the existing digital masters for any unreleased material, but said masters had clipped frequencies...?

How were the session leaks from years ago in superior quality? The whole thing is rather perplexing, unless it's a simple workflow issue where something along the mastering path is clipping frequencies.

• 2 months later...
On 5/5/2019 at 1:45 PM, bollemanneke said:

Or: we start buying this massively so that it goes out of print and people want a re-issue and then we campaign for a proper one.

...and what you'll get is an unlimited reprint. :P

9 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

But is one clearly better than the other, or do they just sound different?

They just sound different and I don't like that. It's supposed to be one set/score.

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

They just sound different and I don't like that. It's supposed to be one set/score.

Might have been a different story if they were allowed to create new scans of the analogue master tapes, rather than reusing the existing album master from 1993, and using the existing digital masters for disc 2.

So when you consider the elements used, it's not a huge surprise the audio quality is a little uneven, maybe not reaching the lofty standards we've come to expect from Mike's JW expansions (most of which are assembled from new scans of the scoring masters).

However, like with SPR, this was ultimately Williams' call. He was happy with the existing album masters and didn't want a "sonic upgrade," so to speak. No doubt the second disc of additional music was a hard sell as well. It's noteworthy that the most significant missing cue from the sessions (the ICHDM insert) was included on this release, while everything missing on this release is available from the sessions. Mike always looks out for us, even if we have to 'read between the lines.'

...would be nice if he included Shawm on a future Potter 4-8 release though... After all, the precedent was set with Superman source music included on the 2+3 release... :)

9 hours ago, crumbs said:

Might have been a different story if they were allowed to create new scans of the analogue master tapes, rather than reusing the existing album master from 1993, and using the existing digital masters for disc 2.

So when you consider the elements used, it's not a huge surprise the audio quality is a little uneven, maybe not reaching the lofty standards we've come to expect from Mike's JW expansions (most of which are assembled from new scans of the scoring masters).

However, like with SPR, this was ultimately Williams' call. He was happy with the existing album masters and didn't want a "sonic upgrade," so to speak. No doubt the second disc of additional music was a hard sell as well. It's noteworthy that the most significant missing cue from the sessions (the ICHDM insert) was included on this release, while everything missing on this release is available from the sessions. Mike always looks out for us, even if we have to 'read between the lines.'

...would be nice if he included Shawm on a future Potter 4-8 release though... After all, the precedent was set with Superman source music included on the 2+3 release... :)

Except Superman II is essentially a STM re-recording (with it's own  pop source cues)

9 hours ago, crumbs said:

It'll be on an exclusive 10" LP, released by Deutsche Grammophon.

On 7/25/2019 at 3:00 PM, Jay said:

People fretting over nothing.  It sounds perfectly fine.

I will have to disagree here, I Could Have Done More (Film Version) sounds really compressed like a bad MP3 file.

Aren't those things on other releases though? After the LLL, I don't think anything is truly unavailable, between the OST/LLL/Sessions and other releases (for source stuff).

On 5/5/2019 at 12:28 PM, rough cut said:

So yesterday, I listened to this on my proper hifi-set up. It's the first time since I've gone back to it since I received it (and then only had it playing in the background).Yes, it sounds compressed.

Dynamically compressed, or lossy compression?