Jay

Wojciech Kilar's Dracula (1992) - 3CD Expanded Edition from La-La Land Records (2018)

On 11/23/2018 at 2:48 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

A friend saw this up at LLL briefly yesterday, but when he refreshed it was gone again. Imagine if that had happened with Potter!

Anyway, this should be interesting. I don't know the story behind how the score was written, but the album seems very much like an extensive edit of the music as written, and the film itself also mostly seems to use the same pieces over and over again in a Leone fashion. If there's an actual "intended score", there could be quite a bit of new stuff there. Also the chase music is missing on the CD, and I'm sure the dry sound can be improved.

I can't wait to read Tim Greiving's (aka @Maestro) liner notes about it. In the DVD audio commentary, Coppola said that Kilar wrote the score using the script, concept art and some footage as a reference. He didn't write to picture. He wrote a set of themes with several variations, which were recorded as "pure" music and then he let Coppola and the editors use them as they wanted during the editing and mixing.

I'm most curious to find out how this one plays in such a massively expanded form. I imagine it will be quite repetitive knowing Kilar's methodology. But there's plenty to work with if I want to create my own playlist. I never liked the original album.

Karol

They just announced the programme for next year's Krakow FMF festival and one of the concert will be the live to projection performance of this score conducted by... Don Davis? I'm actually quite interested in that (as well as Desplat concert and few other things too)

Karol

Just played this last night. Only played the film program as of yet (will get to the remainder cues later tonight)  The sound quality is stunning. The playback was just wonderful. This may be one of the most satisfying 3CD expanded set in some time. The producers made wise choice of following Kilar's original intention in programming the score as he intended-It makes it so much better. Some wonderful nugets through out the programme. At last  its really great to have the sunset chase music ! 

So, after a while has passed... 

If I love the OST, like the film, and enjoy the samples, is this worth the investment? Is it repetitive, overkill, does it add much interesting material to the OST? There's something about it that makes me more reserved, it doesn't feel in the same category as Conan, Schindler and Supes which I just had to buy expansions of instantly.

There is some material that we've never heard before. But you get it for sound to to make your own personalised version. The complete score, while listenable, is probably bit too repetitive. I was never a fan of the OST. It sounded rubbish.

Karol

The OST was an odd edit of the score. And regardless of whether you want more music, or want the music on the album presented in a better fashion, or neither, the much improved sound quality on the new release is definitely worth it.