Harry Potter - The John Williams Soundtrack Collection 7CD boxset from La-La Land Records (2018)

Jay

2 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Dunno, the Concorde box set. It's far from perfect, but it's not so bad, either! Sound quality is awesome, and I'd say we got 95% per cent of the highlights! 

Besides, I remember we were pretty excited and thrilled when this came out....

I was so happy with the Concorde box set, going from the TOD 40+ original LP to what we have now is amazing. TOD is in my top 5 so I'd welcome a complete release, but I'm more than ok with the Concorde set.

I love the new cover for HPSS (well, HPPS)! Too bad the other two didn’t receive custom covers as well but this isn’t a complaint, just a comment. I’m sure there was a reason for this that will be later revealed.

I guess there’s no reason to hold onto the OSTs anymore since all of it is presented here. I love the list of bonus music for each film. I can’t wait to hear the alternates and isolated teaser/trailer music. I’m sure I’m in the minority but I would have also liked to see a vocal less version of Double Trouble. 

I never really 'got' the Double Trouble thing. The instrumental score parts are nice but the actual song with the children's' choir is just annoying.

---

I am likely going to use PoA to construct a personal album rather than keeping the whole lot. PS and CoS I'll likely keep as they are.

Just now, Richard Penna said:

I never really 'got' the Double Trouble thing. The instrumental score parts are nice but the actual song with the children's' choir is just annoying.

Yeah, same. I don't like seeing the choir on screen either. 

yeah that's the cue I care least about

5 minutes ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

Indiana Jones disc 5 was definitely added at the last second.

oh I forgot Krystal Skull OST wass in there

4 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

You're right.

I used to listen to these scores a ton, but I tired of the schmaltzy childish Home Alone/Hook-esque JW musical stylings. There's a bit of that in TPM, but it doesn't go full schmaltz like the Potters and that's my limit.

I probably care most about the Window to the Past variations, Rescue of Sirius and lots of little short highlights dotted around.

The time-travel related cues are largely dull for me. Come to think of it, it might be that I just remove those bits and end up with a nice album.

37 minutes ago, Amer said:

I feel you. Same with me with the US Dollar going up. Oh its a an expensive hobby!!!

Tell me about it, even a regular $19.99 CD that a couple of years ago would have been automatic buys are now like a decent amount of money over here. That coupled with the difficulty of getting such releases here is disencouraging.

I love LLL and they've done a terrific job (I love their Williams, Batman:TAS sets and more), but I kinda wish this had been a joint release with Watertower music (or whatever WB label is) so I could buy it from Amazon, which is extremely reliable with shipping.

2 minutes ago, Balahkay said:

I guess there’s no reason to hold onto the OSTs anymore since all of it is presented here. 

I recently dug up my copies of the three OSTs, so I could listen to them again in my car.
I thought it could be interesting to give those edits and highlights a listen after falling in love

with the recording sessions and knowing them by heart. 

I was mistaken. Maybe it's just me, but I missed the full cues, and I found the repetition of themes rather annoying.
So glad LLL is giving us this treat.

That’s one reason I was hoping for a vocal less version of “Double Trouble” like “Walking Home” from Home Alone. I love the melody but I’d prefer to hear it without the children choir and the instrumention sounds quite interesting from what I could hear.

11 minutes ago, Amer said:

All this LLL and HP excitement has made me forget all about Williams DRACULA set. My copy is still in transit. Sheesh!

They release em too fast, we can't keep up! 

I bet, at this point nobody's listening to Saving Private Ryan anymore! 😂 

1 minute ago, Josh500 said:

I didn't know this! According to Wikipedia: 

Seriously, what a hassle! The movie (and book) is known the world over as Philosopher's Stone, as being the English title... Only the American kids apparently didn't like or understand it. The British author of this British book gave it a title, namely Philosopher's Stone! Who is so arrogant as to simply go ahead and change that willy-nilly? 

I remember reading an interview with JK Rowling where she admitted that she regretted the decision to allow the Americans to change the title of her book and its adaptation.

Oh well. Whatever. In the scheme of things, this is rather insignificant and minor.

And now the non Americans pay exorbitant fees for the deluxe soundtrack releases! Mwahahaha!

USA Forever! 

3 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

I didn't know this! According to Wikipedia: 

Seriously, what a hassle! The movie (and book) is known the world over as Philosopher's Stone, as being the English title... Only the American kids apparently didn't like or understand it. The British author of this British book gave it a title, namely Philosopher's Stone! Who is so arrogant as to simply go ahead and change that willy-nilly? 

I remember reading an interview with JK Rowling where she said that she regretted the decision to allow the Americans to change the title of her book and its adaptation.

Oh well. Whatever. In the scheme of things, this is rather insignificant and minor.

they also changed a James Bond titles because they thought americans were too stupid to understand it

License Revoked>>>License to Kill

2 minutes ago, King Mark said:

maybe double trouble choir  wasn't recorded separately??

I’d be surprised if it wasn’t recorded separately but I’ve been wrong before about such things.

1 minute ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

Walking Home sounds weird without the choir.

I think it sounds perfect. 😎

3 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Believe it or not, some people ARE into non-Williams HP music...

You're allowed to be, but they have all leaked as either complete or mostly complete forms. I like the Desplats well enough, but the others don't interest me. 

Just now, Wojism said:

You're allowed to be, but they have all leaked as either complete or mostly complete forms. I like the Desplats well enough, but the others don't interest me. 

I wonder will they release 4 on its own (it's probably the non-Williams that would sell best), 5 and 6 together, and 7 and 8 together. I'll definitely buy them. I don't mind waiting a little while for them but I dope we don't have to wait too long. 

27 minutes ago, Balahkay said:

I love the new cover for HPSS (well, HPPS)! Too bad the other two didn’t receive custom covers as well but this isn’t a complaint, just a comment. I’m sure there was a reason for this that will be later revealed.

I would have prefered the original cover in the same way they did it for the second and third score.

My COS cover never looked like that. It had the redhead and a plant that looked like something from the E.T. Adventure at Universal Studios. Even the reversible side didn't match this one.

5 hours ago, King Mark said:

wait .How do we know the PoA End Credits contain the opening insert or not?

Because I already said this

6 hours ago, Jay said:

And the worrying begins!

Trust me,

There is nothing on the Azkaban OST that is not on the new set.

There is no Williams score in the film that is not on the new set.

It's all good, man!

This is LLL, after all. I'm not worried. 

The quality shows! It's time to appreciate the good and amazing aspects of this release, which is, after all, 98% of it! 

Just like with A.I. and Jurassic Park, this one will be a keeper, something to be treasured a lifetime! :)

I'd say the good and amazing aspects of this release is 100% of it. Philosopher's Stone was the first soundtrack I got, aged 7, and I've been longing for this for most of my life.

1 minute ago, Once said:

I'd say the good and amazing aspects of this release is 100% of it. Philosopher's Stone was the first soundtrack I got, aged 7, and I've been longing for this for most of my life.

So you're what? 25 now?

One of the younger members here... 😂 

59 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Dunno, the Concorde box set. It's far from perfect, but it's not so bad, either! Sound quality is awesome, and I'd say we got 95% per cent of the highlights! 

yeah I'm rough on it but It's still is a godsend until some thing better comes along. Same with the TPM UE .most of the music can be used for custom edits

8 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

So you're what? 25 now?

One of the younger members here... 😂 

24. And I've been visiting these boards since 2002. I don't remember when I made a profile, though.

1 minute ago, Holko said:

Hang on, MusicBox has it hor 125€+ shipping, are they mental? Do they not know $=/=€?

It might be that they're ordering them from LaLaLand at retail rather than wholesale prices to get around the fact that LLL aren't selling them to them until January?

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

This announcement hasn’t hit places like The Leaky Cauldron yet. It’ll be interesting to see general fan reaction when it does

I am hoping they don't pick up on it until after it goes on sale...

2 minutes ago, Holko said:

Hang on, MusicBox has it hor 125€+ shipping, are they mental? Do they not know $=/=€?

€125 at the current exchange rate is $141,6 USD! 😂 

Yeah, they are mental!

1 minute ago, Bilbo said:

It might be that they're ordering them from LaLaLand at retail rather than wholesale prices to get around the fact that LLL aren't selling them to them until January?

That's possible, I hope they'll bring it down to reasonable then.

6 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Stop it! It's hard not to panic, when all the others panic!

I'm genuinely going to panic a little. Maybe more than a little. Like King Mark said, we need to worry about the general Potter fans out there (or the people they know looking for Xmas gifts for them) catching wind of this boxset. Social media could easily make this known worldwide to people who would otherwise pay zero attention to film scores if this goes viral. And if the tech/pop culture/movie sites cover it in the next few days, it really might be game over before we know it. So yes, I will panic some.

5 minutes ago, Iron_Giant said:

I'm genuinely going to panic a little. Maybe more than a little. Like King Mark said, we need to worry about the general Potter fans out there (or the people they know looking for Xmas gifts for them) catching wind of this boxset. Social media could easily make this known worldwide to people who would otherwise pay zero attention to film scores if this goes viral. And if the tech/pop culture/movie sites cover it in the next few days, it really might be game over before we know it. So yes, I will panic some.

We need to find a way to discourage those Muggles! Filthy Mudblood! ;)

Karol