Harry Potter - The John Williams Soundtrack Collection 7CD boxset from La-La Land Records (2018)

Jay

3 minutes ago, King Mark said:

the controversy is a few people sticking adamantly that they believed Williams press conference that he only composed 40 minutes of new music and never  backed down

That was the same year he said Across the Stars was the first love theme on the series! Did people believe this conniving old man then?

1 minute ago, Josh500 said:

I think the controversy originated because many people didn't quite know what to make of the word "adapted"....

I remember reading posts from a dude with a cartoon harlequin avatar, claiming he was on the inside, saying that Ross did more than people were led to believe. 

5 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

I remember reading posts from a dude with a cartoon harlequin avatar, claiming he was on the inside, saying that Ross did more than people were led to believe. 

How do we know that wasn't Ross himself? 😂 

Perpetuating the myth...

1 hour ago, Josh500 said:

A 2-disc set released by LLL generally costs 30 bucks. A 7-disc set costs 100 bucks. I think the price is more than reasonable! And considering how valuable and desirable this set is for any JW fan, 100 bucks is a bargain.

So by your reasoning any LLL release is high priced, right? I'm starting to suspect that your lack of funds is clouding your opinions and judgment.... 

My lack of funds is an ignorant presumption on your part. I am neither rich or poor but at my age I consider the value of anything I purchase.  However I suspect you are the one who simply overvalues things. In no way is this a bargain. I have no doubt the profit margin on this item is exceptional. But being a HP nut there are other driving forces. I have had buyer regret on almost every expanded editions with three exceptions, the Towering Inferno, Superman the Movie, and Star Trek the motion picture. Disappointments include Jaws and E.T. and the Cowboys. 

9 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

My lack of funds is an ignorant presumption on your part. I am neither rich or poor but at my age I consider the value of anything I purchase.  However I suspect you are the one who simply overvalues things. In no way is this a bargain. I have no doubt the profit margin on this item is exceptional. But being a HP nut there are other driving forces. I have had buyer regret on almost every expanded editions with three exceptions, the Towering Inferno, Superman the Movie, and Star Trek the motion picture. Disappointments include Jaws and E.T. and the Cowboys. 

Regret because you felt better off with the original albums?

10 minutes ago, Demondm810 said:

I have a friend who casually listens to scores. She was interested in this release and asked me to tell her when it’s available for order. But I’m not going to for a week, because she lives in California. I don’t want her to get it before me. 

I live in California and I still manage never to get the new releases before you Eastern seaboarders! Or, going by some recent threads, even before most of those in Europe.

That’s surprising!

23 minutes ago, Once said:

Let's talk (or rather, speculate) about the music. What do you guys think "The Wizards' Consort" is? A collection of source music from the Leaky Cauldron, The Three Broomsticks ect.?

I’ve been out of town, but I wish I could watch the movie and speculate. 

Tell me about it! I'm never all that late to the party either -- usually I'd have my order placed on the evening of the day of or the morning after. And yet... when people start posting pics of their new lovelies, I'll only have recently gotten my LLL email saying it was shipped by employee 2 or 3.

Naturally, my grousing is good-natured. But it leads me to think a lot of people hover 'round their laptops or phones when 12 noon PST approaches. Nothing wrong with that and in fact you can bet I'll be doing precisely the same thing this time around.

34 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Regret because you felt better off with the original albums?

Yes but considering I listened to the Jaws original soundtrack long thab youve been alive. Same with E.T. 

2 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Way I look at it is, average retail for a new CD is what, $15, 17 USD? So each disc here is slightly less than the going MSRP, and the booklets, etc. are way beyond what you usually get in a standard CD release. Sounds like a good deal for me!

The manufacturer cost in materials and intellectual costs for a typical Michael Jackson cd was less than $1.50 so the 15.99 minus 1.50 goes to those in wholesale/retail 

Like @King Mark, I remain a little uncertain about the Williams/Ross split on CoS. Even if Ross didn't "compose" anything new, I wonder whether stuff like the "Reunion of Friends" finale or "Escape from the Dursleys" would count as "adapted" and therefore could have been done by Ross with no Williams involvement (other than the fact that JW's HP1 stuff was riffed on therein, obviously).  

Then again, like KM I find it hard to believe that, say, the "Reunion" finale could have been composed/adapted by anyone other than JW! It sounds like pure Williams. 

2 hours ago, King Mark said:

nah. I believe people mostly download stuff they wouldn't buy anyways so it's not really a lost sale .At best listening to it might make people actually buy it

Considering how quickly some special releases used to sell out, and how long that hasn't happened, does lead me to believe that the downfall of CDs has had an effect of how many of these they sell. Either that or a shitload of people just stopped listening to and buying soundtracks about 10 years ago.

Consider some of the bigger film music concerts, like Hollywood in Vienna (two concert dates each year, roughly 4,000 people altogether) or the recent (Non-)Williams concert in London (rougly 4,000 people on one date). There you have more people in one spot (and just in Europe, no less, and for events that sold out within minutes and could have sold many more tickets) than buy many/most of these releases. I still find it baffling that the number of people *world-wide* who buy long awaited releases like these *over months or even years* is no higher than the people crammed into a single hall on one evening, people often paying premium prices to get good seats plus hotel and flights.

How high is the number of people who do want these release, or even do listen to them, but just don't buy them?

Mind you, I'm not hugely opposed to pirate-downloading music, or at least some music. I grew up with it, and I justified it as being the only way to get access to a lot of music when you don't have a lot of money. I still stand by that. I'm also convinced that downloading something you only hear once or twice is fair, as you either wouldn't buy it anyway, or you'd regret buying it. I'm also convinced that sampling music online can lead to buying more music by a certain artist because you find you like it and want to buy more of it.

But I also apply a different benchmark to indie releases and niche stuff like the soundtrack specialty labels, who deal with unusually high licencing costs to produce stuff that so few people are interested in in the first place that they usually just barely break even (on average, including releases that sell well offset with releases that actually cost them money). They obviously don't do this to get rich (they're in the wrong business for that) but because they are passionate about getting this music released, as passionate as we are to have someone release it so we can listen to it. They depend on our money to do this. I consider downloading these releases instead of buying morally wrong (sampling is fine, and not buying something because it turns out you don't like the samples or you only listen to them every few years is ok), and also complaining that a release is too expensive (when it isn't, compared to the usual price of these thigns) and citing that as a justification for pirating it instead. If you really can't afford it and want it, go ahead and download it, but keep it to yourself and don't blame it on the labels for actually turning some profit (that partly allows them to finance all the other stuff we want that nobody would ever release because it costs more than it earns).

1 hour ago, JoeinAR said:

Yes but considering I listened to the Jaws original soundtrack long thab youve been alive. Same with E.T. 

Now those are great albums. These kids seem to regard it more as a collecting thing. Like bottle caps.

9 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Considering how quickly some special releases used to sell out, and how long that hasn't happened, does lead me to believe that the downfall of CDs has had an effect of how many of these they sell. Either that or a shitload of people just stopped listening to and buying soundtracks about 10 years ago.

I know for my I've largely stopped buying the scores because of the increase postage to Europe and that my CD's where always being stopped by customs. I used to avidly buy from Intrada, LLL and Varese but I haven't bought a CD from them in 3-4 years. The increased costs, and the necessity of traveling by train (1 hour each way), plus a 1.5km walk each way to the customs office just robbed the pleasure of getting the scores.

I know the model doesn't allow for it, but I dearly wish they could sell these limited releases digitally.

I will be picking this up though, one way or another. I need to find a European reseller.

Before Spotify I'd frequently download scores to see if I liked them, and subsequently make a purchase vs delete decision. I don't remember the last time I had to do that.

There is one occasion where I 'obtained' a LE release to decide whether to buy it, and sort of didn't get round to actually buying it. Once the label in question releases something else I want, I'll chuck that release in as it saves shipping costs. If they issue a low quantity alert before then, I'll buy it standalone.

2 hours ago, Once said:

I realize my posts are basically filler at this point, but allow me a moment to gush about the fact that this set includes the very first recording of "Hedwig's Theme"! The recording we all thought was destroyed beyond repair!

Gah! Seriously, Accio Patience.

I posted about that like 5 minutes after the announcement... That was literally the first track I looked for on LLL's post to make sure it was recovered, so happy to finally be able to hear it clean! :D

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

Before Spotify I'd frequently download scores to see if I liked them, and subsequently make a purchase vs delete decision. I don't remember the last time I had to do that.

There is one occasion where I 'obtained' a LE release to decide whether to buy it, and sort of didn't get round to actually buying it. Once the label in question releases something else I want, I'll chuck that release in as it saves shipping costs. If they issue a low quantity alert before then, I'll buy it standalone.

I'm impressed that anyone does that. Back in high school I downloaded a couple albums,  and wouldn't you know, once I had the music, I had no inclination to spend money on something already in my posession. 

Honestly, the same goes for today, like when an album is available on YouTube. It's verrryy difficult for me to buy something I already have access to, and I wouldn't be surprised if others feel similarly. 

I don't care if people download it, as long as they're enjoying it. All of these scores eventually become OOP and hard to find anyway. For all the self proclaimed non-downloaders, I'm sure you've pirated music, including the HP scores, so stop kidding yourselves. You're not fooling me.

4 hours ago, Once said:

Let's talk (or rather, speculate) about the music. What do you guys think "The Wizards' Consort" is? A collection of source music from the Leaky Cauldron, The Three Broomsticks ect.?

I might have missed some stuff here but from quickly scanning through the movie this is all the source music I could identify:

• The first Leaky Couldron piece (when Harry first arrives there after The Knight Bus)
  • The second Leaky Couldron piece for shawm, played when Harry reunites with Ron/Hermione (before Discussing Black)
  • Hogsmeade music box (D2T10 - Hogsmeade Candy Box)
  • Source music for The Three Broomsticks (when the shrunken heads refuse entry for H&H). This might be bundled into the lengthy track D1T22 - The Three Broomsticks [3:51] which only runs ~1:50 in the film (this track might also include the short cue from before The Snowball Fight when Harry first sneaks into the candy store basement via the tunnel)
  • A Winter's Spell (D2T11 - A Winter’s Spell)
  • That beautiful flute source as Ron & Hermione argue about Scabbers being eaten by Hermione's cat, while walking through the courtyard (might be included at the start of D1T24 Buckbeak’s Fate and The Marauder’s Map)

Perhaps D2T9 - The Wizards’ Consort (2:48) is a suite of both Leaky Cauldron source pieces, plus the Three Broomsticks source, hence the non-specific track title?

Which just leaves the flute courtyard source unaccounted for, which could fit organically into the score proper (given all the beautiful flute work throughout).

Yes, they've been very upfront that we should save our money for 2018.

Although the quote was two years ago, I have no doubt they were already deep into planning Dracula, Harry Potter 1-3, Superman 1-4, The Sugarland Express and Schindler's List for 2018 (plus ET and CE3K being prepped for 2017).

50 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

I'm impressed that anyone does that. Back in high school I downloaded a couple albums,  and wouldn't you know, once I had the music, I had no inclination to spend money on something already in my posession. 

Honestly, the same goes for today, like when an album is available on YouTube. It's verrryy difficult for me to buy something I already have access to, and I wouldn't be surprised if others feel similarly. 

Over the years, the collector in me has taken over. I've replaced the majority of my CDR copies with originals, although in the case of soundtrack releases I usually tend to wait for the expansion for my "real deal" upgrade. So that's a case where I end up never picking up the original album that I had as a copy, but on the other hand, many of those are out of print or hard to find nowadays. My OCD does act up when I have a "CDR gap" in my collection of something that I haven't listened to in years and therefore really have no good reason to replace with a genuine copy.

28 minutes ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

I don't care if people download it, as long as they're enjoying it. All of these scores eventually become OOP and hard to find anyway. For all the self proclaimed non-downloaders, I'm sure you've pirated music, including the HP scores, so stop kidding yourselves. You're not fooling me.

See my comment above. I'm not condemning copying in general. My only "unauthentic" versions of the Potter scores are two expanded downloads/CDRs, which I've eached played once or twice. And no, I haven't pirated any of the special Labels releases.

When this set is sold out in a year, or earlier, downloading it through illegal sharing will be the only means to get this score. Ever since the leaks, I've been grateful for those people who took the time to master and arrange the sessions in some fashion that gave us the closest thing to officially released sets. In my experience, it was getting those sessions that held me over all these years so I can't condemn the pirate sites. The general malaise and lack of faith of the studios to release expanded scores over the years is depressing - especially considering the first Potter film is almost two decades old!

Obviously this trend is changing - with Williams's approval of more expanded sets, and the brilliant mastering of MM, but I regret that all these years have gone by where we would've benefited from a C&C set from the get go, not years of agonizing waiting, hoping, fearing, campaigning for more, and spending more money!

$100 for 7 discs and 8 hours of music is a no-brainer, especially when you compare to 3 or 4 discs and 3-4 hours for the LOTR:CRs which were somewhere in the $60-$70 range each if memory serves correctly!  I’ll be getting this as well as SL on Tuesday without question!

@Jay Does the set credit the session musicians that performed on the three scores?

It's not a make-or-break deal for me, I'm just curious.

17 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Why would you buy a set that has pitch issues, is unchronological and incomplete to boot? How did you justify that purchase? This is a beautiful presentation, one that will never be improved.

I'm not anal retentive about the Indy scores. They sound just fine to my ears and while they're not C&C, Temple was what I wanted and it was nearly complete anyway.