Harry Potter - The John Williams Soundtrack Collection 7CD boxset from La-La Land Records (2018)

Jay

4 hours ago, Laserschwert said:

A little heads up though, regarding that: after several years of having to take long trips to German custom offices, just like you, one guy working there all of a sudden asked me, why I am always coming down there in person, when I could simply email them the missing paperwork... and I went like "What the hell???"

Turns out it's true: all you need to do is email them those missing order confirmations and invoices, and they'll have the package delivered to you by the mailman, who then collects the fees from you on delivery.

Just Google for the email address of the customs office in question or give them a quick phone call to ask.

Thanks for the heads up, I wasn't aware of that and they certainly never told me about that option! *chuckles* I'm not sure my wife will be happy with that news :)

I know DP used to just come to the door to collect, but then it stopped because DP & ZOB couldn't agree on fees

4 hours ago, Orgasm[+]Donor. said:

some covers for you guys, to chill out a bit...
45970082241_0c0d216509.jpg 44153694960_ac1e559ee2.jpg 45920855872_6c912c8dd9.jpg

Nice! 

But I gotta be honest, these do look fanmade. :D

Nice touch, though, leaving out Ross's name from the cover of CoS! :thumbup:

44 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Fair enough, I was just curious about this one cue when I saw the tracklist. I'm sure whatever Mike has assembled, it will be perfect.

After TLW, Dracula and A.I. he's more than earned our trust.

And I am sure some fiddling with the track order was made as a concession to listening experience which I think Williams is also quite conscious of.

I just hope there's no joined cues that are out of order like Dracula or the JP 20th anniversary

As I said we tolerated it for Dracula but on Potter it might lead to rioting

4 minutes ago, King Mark said:

I just hope there's no joined cues that are out of order like Dracula or the JP 20th anniversary

It there are joined cues, just split them apart again! Seriously, what's the big issue, as long as all the music is there?

6 minutes ago, King Mark said:

Isn't there only one combined track on Dracula, For Mina? Which I believe was requested by Williams, in line with the OST track.

Having never seen the film it doesn't bug me in the slightest tbh. That track works perfectly in MM's new assembly, I wouldn't change a thing.

it's very hard to split apart sometimes

I remember on the 20th JP set it was a HUGE deal to a lot of people and ruined the set

On Dracula less because most people aren't as familiar with the score

On CE3K we could use disk 2 tracks to fix it (which I did)

I mean I'll live with it if all the music's there but..

Mike had nothing to do with the JP 20th set, what's the relevance of that? It was only ever designed to be the OST + bonus tracks and Williams decided how to present those.

MM resolved all these issues with his JP expansion which is 100% C&C.

4 minutes ago, King Mark said:

it's very hard to split apart sometimes

I remember on the 20th JP set it was a huge deal.

That's really something that doesn't bother me at all, so I don't understand what's the big issue here.

I never edit stuff, so I just listen to the cues as presented on the CD. And if they're not 100% in chronological order, again, what's the big deal?

You might have OCD, at least when it comes to this. Dunno, just saying. ;)

Just now, King Mark said:

yeah it's just the Dracula precedent that worried me

If the price to pay for getting all the music is a few non-chronological cues, it really doesn't phase me (especially when the changes being made are in service of a fluid listening experience -- if anything it's nice knowing JW is personally overseeing these expansions and getting involved with recommendations).

5 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

And if they're not 100% in chronological order, again, what's the big deal?

You might have OCD, at least when it comes to this. Dunno, just saying. ;)

Having listened for years to the sessions in chrono order and knowing or caring how it goes in the movie (aka how it was meant to be, how it was written to be), it can be extremely jarring if the order on an expensive set you just bought (and cannot change on the CD) is "wrong". Stuff like The Library being before Transformation Class probably won't make me want to destroy the discs, though.

Yeah, I'd rather have a 2-minute very listenable, but not necessarily chronological track than, say, 4 separate 30-second cues in strict chronological order! 

I mean, you can listen to 30-second tracks only so many times before you get sick of them! 

But yeah, I guess it's just a matter of preference. 

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

Where do they keep all these recordings? Is there some massive database of files somewhere or what? 

I'd guess once the master tapes are scanned, the studios & labels (LLL, Varese, Intrada) all store the digitized scans on secured servers. Mike probably keeps all the raw files on a personal server with multiple redundancies.

In other words, once the tapes have been digitised, they're safe.

4 minutes ago, Holko said:

Having listened for years to the sessions in chrono order and knowing or caring how it goes in the movie (aka how it was meant to be, how it was written to be), it can be extremely jarring if the order on an expensive set you just bought (and cannot change on the CD) is "wrong". Stuff like The Library being before Transformation Class probably won't make me want to destroy the discs, though.

It won't be a huge deal now because were grateful of finally getting all the music

But remember these small things wrong with releases in the past like the Indy Box get magnified over time

They combined Cakes for Crabe and Goyle and Polyjuice Potion. I always thought that these cues belonged together, rather than combining each with one eerie cue (Borgin and Burkes, Petrified Justin). That was a rather weird album choice.

Neville Stiffens could be It's Guarding Something.

BTW, am I the only one who has merely listened to the OSTs and never touched any leaked sessions or film rips or bootlegs?

1 minute ago, Holko said:

Or Petrified Longbottom which was not leaked and we thought so far was tracked!

But where's It's Guarding Something then?

2 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

BTW, am I the only one who has merely listened to the OSTs and never touched any leaked sessions or film rips or bootlegs?

Like I said many times, I only listen to official releases. The leaks are unknown to me.

6 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

But where's It's Guarding Something then?

It should be stuck to the end of Moving Stairs, that's where it belongs.

7m5 Petrified Longbottom or now Neville Stiffens is some dark rumbles and a reprise of It's Guarding Something in the film, we don't now what the original is - guess we'll find out now!

I won't delete the sessions because it contains interesting stuff like Quiddich cues separated with clean opening/Endings.

I appreciate Harry's Great victory being alone

3 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Just now, Josh500 said:

Like I said many times, I only listen to official releases. The leaks are unknown to me.

Same.  This is a very exciting release for me - four discs worth of brand new music from some of Williams’ best scores of the century!

10 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Its Steef!

Steef is a member./Stiff member.

Amazing how a few letters can completely change the meaning... 😂 

4 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Same.  This is a very exciting release for me - four discs worth of brand new music from some of Williams’ best scores of the century!

Probably the most important JW expanded set ever! At least, so far, until the MM treatment of Indiana Jones and Star Wars come along...

Oh dear, you guys never heard Platform 9 3/4, Entering the Great Hall or Checkmate outside of the film! These scores are overflowing with unreleased goodness!

Whatchoo talking about? 

These tracks are on the OST album! 

I prefer chronological order, but if they just switched a few short tracks to grant an improved listening experience and avoid unresolved cues, I think I can bear it.

The OSTs have way more weird merging choices.

On 11/23/2018 at 3:10 AM, Jay said:

20. Harry’s Wondrous World [Extended Version] 5:26

On 11/23/2018 at 3:10 AM, Jay said:

9. Harry’s Wondrous World 5:05

For the folks who have spreadsheets in their brains:

I'm pretty sure my copy of the sessions leak only has the "extended" Wondrous World, the end credits version.  I was under the impression that the concert version, part of the Children's Suite, was not recorded for HP1 and that the track on the HP2 OST was the first time it had been recorded.

Indeed, we thought Ross recorded the Suite ending for the OST at the COS sessions but it hasn't been recorded before. Guess we'll find out.

Indeed, we thought Ross recorded the Suite ending for the OST at the COS sessions but it hasn't been recorded before. Guess we'll find out.

OK so I'm not crazy for being confused by that.  Cool!

12 hours ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

I don't care if people download it, as long as they're enjoying it. All of these scores eventually become OOP and hard to find anyway. For all the self proclaimed non-downloaders, I'm sure you've pirated music, including the HP scores, so stop kidding yourselves. You're not fooling me.

I buy everything where reasonably possible but I've downloaded tons of stuff - you're right, very few people can claim not to have done that.

My point is that things have moved such that previewing legally is easier than it used to be; not that all illegal downloading has suddenly stopped.

Damn Muggles! But like a lot of fellow JWFans, I doubt many so-called normies will be ready to spend 100 bucks for expanded scores on the first day.

On the other hand, my brain will make this noise when the alarm clock I set goes off.

D251CA6E-0075-4245-8088-A827E30DFECF.jpeg

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Unfortunately we had no choice in that. It would have been nice to change it. I like the name "Through the Doors" Mike came up with for the actual entry cue.

Was it a license matter or Williams' request?

3 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Nice! 

But I gotta be honest, these do look fanmade. :D

Nice touch, though, leaving out Ross's name from the cover of CoS! :thumbup:

Theyre actually just adapted from official artwork. So I guess...poorly done official artwork...which it is:

https://m.barnesandnoble.com/w/dvd-harry-potter-and-the-prisoner-of-azkaban-daniel-radcliffe/7566695

Just now, Jay said:

Any track that has identical contents to an OST track had to use the OST name .

Okay @Jay I finally thought of my own question so I can join in on the...fun. Lol

Was it ever discussed to include the asterisk method of detailing what was Previously Unreleased and what not. I can imagine there’s so much material that it would’ve just been ugly, but thought I’d ask anyways. I occasionally enjoy that stuff.

18 minutes ago, Jay said:

Any track that has identical contents to an OST track had to use the OST name .

Now I get it: that makes sense. 

Initially thought the entrance cue and the sorting hat one were switched.

I’m curious to hear how The Library works as an opening for Transformation Class!

2 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Nope. I only ever listened to the OSTs and to the music in the film. Big deal this release is. First time I will really hear a lot of stuff.

@redishere great avatar! Classic Spielberg!