Harry Potter - The John Williams Soundtrack Collection 7CD boxset from La-La Land Records (2018)

Jay

5 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

@redishere great avatar! Classic Spielberg!

Thanks a bunch! I previously had a Stravinsky mugshot but I found it a little bit menacing - so I decided to go full menacing with the good ol’ Rexy stomps 😂

5 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I find it disrespectful towards the composer to support bootlegs.

I won’t lie: I have listened to the recording sessions and I actually found them educational and really interesting, especially the multiple takes of some cues. But there’s no way I won’t support JW, MM and LLL knowing there’s an approved and restored release coming. This set is pure gold. 

Support in what way? If you don't pay for it, I don't see how wanting to hear more of his music is disrespectful and if an official release doesn't come out for decades, that's not your fault.

12 minutes ago, Holko said:

Support in what way? If you don't pay for it, I don't see how wanting to hear more of his music is disrespectful and if an official release doesn't come out for decades, that's not your fault.

When I found out about the recording sessions, I’d been waiting to listen to the unreleased cues for almost 20 years, so I checked them out. Couldn’t resist.

Now that this official release is coming, I’m gonna pay for it ‘cause it’s awesome!

3 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Another question: Why does the press release say that HP1's tapes were newly trasferred? Why not those of 2 and 3? Will 2 and 3 sound worse?

Possibly those were only recorded digitally?

4 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Another question: Why does the press release say that HP1's tapes were newly trasferred? Why not those of 2 and 3? Will 2 and 3 sound worse?

Maybe they weren’t recorded on tape? No idea!

And another one: I've been trying to figure out the Wizards Consort unsuccesfully. I think it needs to contain the shawm, Leaky Cauldron violin, that flute playing over the childish pet discussion, and the pub music in Hogsmeade. But, where are the two Sir Cadogan cues? Because the album version of Hagrid the Professor opens with a sped-up, alternate version of that cue...

1 minute ago, bollemanneke said:

Yes, but that can only be one version.

Based on Jay’s words, I’d assume it’s the film version then (can’t remember if it’s sped up or not)

I’m not that familiar with the Cadogan cues though!

Well, there are two. One is what I call the film version, plays when these ghosts on horses smash windows or something after the Hippogriff lesson. The album version plays right before Harry gets the Firebolt and has a few different notes too.

2 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Well, there are two. One is what I call the film version, plays when these ghosts on horses smash windows or something after the Hippogriff lesson. The album version plays right before Harry gets the Firebolt and has a few different notes too.

Could the latter be in the Firebolt track?

Cadogan appearances in the cue list:

3mCA Riding the Hippogriff (Buckbeak's Flight)
3m5-5A Bonding with Hippogriff and Sir Cadogan Again (the slower version with additional percussion, doesn't seem to be here in the new edition)

3m5B Kids Inspect Newspaper etc (The Grim / The Newspaper - first half of which is probably 2m10 You Have the Grim)

3m12 Revised The Great Hall Ceiling (The Big Doors and the Great Hall Ceiling)
3m13 Sir Cadogan (for Dufay Ensemble & Percussion) (the deleted scene I guess, probably the faster (album) version, this cue is not here in the new edition, doesn't fit into either neighbour)
4m2 Quidditch 2004 (Page 394 and Quidditch, Third Year)

I have no idea what The Courtyard and Sir Cadogan is in the tracklist, but "Sir Cadogan Again" could mean there's an earlier cue that doesn't have it in the name, or just that it was written later. 

Courtyard and Cadogan is placed between these:

2m9+10 Rainy Nights, Dementors, and Birds (same name)
2m10 You Have the Grim (not here in the tracklist, probably placed later in The Grim / The Newspaper)
3m1+2 Double Trouble on the Hill (The Hippogriff Lesson? aka Hagrid the Professor)

So: The Courtyard and Sir Cadogan may be 3m5-5A Bonding with Hippogriff and Sir Cadogan Again, the slow film rendition placed earlier, replacing 2m10 You Have the Grim which was moved to later in its place. No idea where 3m12 Sir Cadogan (faster version) is, but I don't know how long Lupin's Departure is, that's probably where I'd put it since it was moved there in the film.

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

I remember being very disappointed when the track labelled 'Entry into the Great Hall' didn't contain the music for entering the great hall... I mean, there's microediting then there's that :|

Was that a mistitling or did JW at one point include the entrance music?

Maybe the album was JW's original intention?

Original intention for what though? The track just has the feast music.

Either JW thought 'Entry into the Great Hall' was just a cool name which fit his precious 'ABC and EFG' pattern, or something changed and the names weren't updated. It simply doesn't make sense.

30 minutes ago, Holko said:

Cadogan appearances in the cue list:

3mCA Riding the Hippogriff (Buckbeak's Flight)
3m5-5A Bonding with Hippogriff and Sir Cadogan Again (the slower version with additional percussion, doesn't seem to be here in the new edition)

3m5B Kids Inspect Newspaper etc (The Grim / The Newspaper - first half of which is probably 2m10 You Have the Grim)

3m12 Revised The Great Hall Ceiling (The Big Doors and the Great Hall Ceiling)
3m13 Sir Cadogan (for Dufay Ensemble & Percussion) (the deleted scene I guess, probably the faster (album) version, this cue is not here in the new edition, doesn't fit into either neighbour)
4m2 Quidditch 2004 (Page 394 and Quidditch, Third Year)

I have no idea what The Courtyard and Sir Cadogan is in the tracklist, but "Sir Cadogan Again" could mean there's an earlier cue that doesn't have it in the name, or just that it was written later. 

Courtyard and Cadogan is placed between these:

2m9+10 Rainy Nights, Dementors, and Birds (same name)
2m10 You Have the Grim (not here in the tracklist, probably placed later in The Grim / The Newspaper)
3m1+2 Double Trouble on the Hill (The Hippogriff Lesson? aka Hagrid the Professor)

So: The Courtyard and Sir Cadogan may be 3m5-5A Bonding with Hippogriff and Sir Cadogan Again, the slow film rendition placed earlier, replacing 2m10 You Have the Grim which was moved to later in its place. No idea where 3m12 Sir Cadogan (faster version) is, but I don't know how long Lupin's Departure is, that's probably where I'd put it since it was moved there in the film.

Could some of this Dufay Collective Cadogan stuff appear on the The Wizards’ Consort source music track?

12 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Could some of this Dufay Collective Cadogan stuff appear on the The Wizards’ Consort source music track?

Good question, somebody should tally up all the source music and see if the Dufay Cadogan fits in that track.

Lupin's Departure + the album Cadogan play for about 40-50 collective seconds in the film, so D7/07 could house it and possibly 7m7 Ext. Whomping Willow, too - except if 7m9 Lupin's Departure was longer and got snipped down in the film.

Or we just wait a few days, since we know it's in there somewhere and that's what matters.

32 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Maybe the album was JW's original intention?

Nah.  It's the music for the Banquet.  He just gave it a goofy album title.  He does this all the time.

I just looked up my e-mails from the JP order. My confirmation came through at 8.20pm on November 29th and I got the 'employeeXX has sent you a package' 3 days later.

And I was pretty quick off the mark ordering. I suspect this is going to take them some time :)

Might be a dumb question because I'm not too familiar with the way these sets are typically released but is this also going to be released digitally? I usually just stick to buying music on iTunes because I almost always listen on one of my devices. If not, I'm really REALLY considering buying this set!

9 minutes ago, DustBlade14 said:

Might be a dumb question because I'm not too familiar with the way these sets are typically released but is this also going to be released digitally? I usually just stick to buying music on iTunes because I almost always listen on one of my devices. If not, I'm really REALLY considering buying this set!

It won't be released digitally. Physical only :)

55 minutes ago, Alan said:

It won't be released digitally.

While it probably won't happen, it technically could be released by WaterTower digitally IIRC.

4 minutes ago, Faleel J.M. said:

While it probably won't happen, it technically could be released by WaterTower digitally IIRC.

I'm wondering the same... Do you think we'll get more info on tuesday when its available to order? I know nothing about these fancy premium releases haha

7 hours ago, Jay said:

That is score by Williams that is heard in the film, so yes it's in the set.

Perfecto, thanks for confirming Jay :) I'll stop bugging you with questions now haha

7 hours ago, Jay said:

Any track that has identical contents to an OST track had to use the OST name .

Interesting insight, thanks for sharing! I guess that narrows down the contents of some additional music tracks for Azkaban (plus a handful of the film score tracks). 

I'm so damn excited to order this!! What a joyous release. Congrats again on all your hard work helping make this set a reality. 

9 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

A part of me just realized how genius the title "Trouble Takes Many Forms" from PoA is. That track probably also includes Double Trouble, so not only does it reference Dumbledore's Speech...but the fact that Double Trouble appears in multiple forms?

I'm guessing that track is a combination of two cues, Dumbledore's Warning and Entering the Rooms, both of which feature wonderful renditions of the Double Trouble theme, so it's indeed a very clever title.

I doubt this track includes the song, which seems to be the previous track (and the same as the OST track, given the same track title). 

Just now, crumbs said:

I'm guessing that track is a combination of two cues, Dumbledore's Warning and Entering the Rooms, both of which feature wonderful renditions of the Double Trouble theme, so it's indeed a very clever title.

I doubt this track includes the song, which seems to be the previous track (and the same as the OST track, given the same track title). 

Precisely. Maybe Something Wicked Intro is hidden here too.

Yeah that's what I'm starting to think. Something Wicked Intro into Dumbledore's Warning into Entering the Rooms. I think that aligns with the track duration and they're three complimentary cues that would work well as one track, all three featuring renditions of the theme (hence the clever title). It's chronological too, in the cue list. 

2M5 - Something Wicked Intro (0:55)

2M6 - Dumbledore's Warning (0:42)

2M8 - Double Trouble March (Entering the Rooms) (0:13)

EDIT: Added track times from this excellent analysis. Based on the track duration in the LLL set (1:52) maybe this track includes the Intro and the film version of Double Trouble, followed by the next two cues, which would be perfect!

7 hours ago, Jay said:

Nah.  It's the music for the Banquet.  He just gave it a goofy album title.  He does this all the time.

So atleast this cue represents original intention vs film version.

This is the Diagon Alley music on album.

And this is the film scene which somehow played the Great Hall music.

54 minutes ago, Jay said:

The OST album track called "Entry Into The Great Hall And The Banquet" only contains 4M1 The Banquet.  That album name had to be retained on the new set.

The actual cue for them entering into the hall first is 3M5 Entry Into The Great Hall and was unreleased until this set, where it's called "Through The Doors".  

Of course, the Sorting Hat scene (3M6 House Selection) occurs between them entering the Great Hall and when they eat, and that's "House Selection" on the new set.

The Diagon Alley scene was originally scored by William in the beginning of a long cue called 2M4 Diagon Alley which also contains the entire Gringotts scene as well.  In the final film, Columbus dropped what Williams wrote for the part in the alley, tracking in a portion of 3M5 Entry Into The Great Hall in its place.  

Williams clearly liked what he originally wrote though; Not only doe the session leak include many takes of them trying to get the violin solo just right, but also he decided to make a concert arrangement of the alley music for the Children's Suite.... and when assembling the album, made sure to include the Children's Suite recording of the alley music in the "Diagon Alley And The Gringott’s Vault" album track (which continues on with the Gringotts portion of 2M4 Diagon Alley after the Suite recording).

Thanks that clears it up. Does the actual Diagon Alley music appear in the film at all though?

1 minute ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Does the actual Diagon Alley music appear in the film at all though?

IIRC the first few minutes show up before the rest was replaced.