Harry Potter - The John Williams Soundtrack Collection 7CD boxset from La-La Land Records (2018)

Jay

20 minutes ago, Space Pineapple Prod. said:

It's a shame we don't get the music from the Wizarding World light shows. I would love to have that. It's such a good arrangement.

true we got Botanicus why not this?

BTW i have a non JWfan friend who bought this after I gave him the LLL link

The last thing he bought was the SW Anthology in 1994 ..but he did go to HPSS and CoS in Concert with me

27 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

There do some footage exist of JW conducting PS, however. I distinctively remember him wearing a white poloshirt (and not his usual black turtleneck shirt) on that occasion. 

There was a music featurette that showed recording session footage from "Face of Evil", but alas, I've been unable to find it for years.

9 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

There was a music featurette that showed recording session footage from "Face of Evil", but alas, I've been unable to find it for years.

There is footage from PS on the 8-Part Documentary that comes with the newer editions of the films on Blu-Ray. Goblet of Fire has the "Sound & Music" portion. Just got it a few days ago. Cool to see!

8 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

There is footage from PS on the 8-Part Documentary that comes with the newer editions of the films on Blu-Ray. Goblet of Fire has the "Sound & Music" portion. Just got it a few days ago. Cool to see!

Is that also the one where Williams talks about how he was nervous to submit The Knight Bus to Cuaron?

5 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Is that also the one where Williams talks about how he was nervous to submit The Knight Bus to Cuaron?

He was worried Cuaron might notice he copied if from  his Synphonietta for wind 3 rd movement

16 minutes ago, King Mark said:

He was worried Cuaron might notice he copied if from  his Synphonietta for wind 3 rd movement

Williams' uncensored thoughts: 

"Crap, this Alf guy or whatever the hell his name is on to me! Maybe I can distract him by stealing from Rossini!"

21 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Maybe it's the same cue, just with That's A Lie and Marge Points the Finger at the start ;)

I reckon you've got something there

43 minutes ago, publicist said:

Is the 'Aunt Marge Waltz' alternate different from the Thieving Magpie one? Or just a different length? @Jay

I think the Rossini-pastiche was very much in the cards for ol' Johnny since I remember seeing some promo video or other for the film prior its release where they had just tracked Thieving Magpie onto that scene. Cuarón must have mandated that one from the start.

But I also guess that the alternate is just the original cue as heard on the album and not something radically different.

On 11/29/2018 at 12:23 PM, crumbs said:

I'd love to read an interview with Cuaron about his collaboration with Williams. It produced such a unique and masterful score, it would be great to have some insight into their process. 

Especially considering how many alternates the score seemed to yield (both recorded and unrecorded, if this set is any indication). 

I'm probably in the minority here, but as a big Chris Columbus fan, I consider the original Potter movie--Philosopher's Stone--to be the best among the bunch. What CC achieved with this movie is monumental. It's just not overtly fancy and avant garde like Cuaron, but still, it's one of the best movies in this category. This movie is immensely well made and watchable. 

That said, the score is a different matter. PS and PoA are, for me, pretty much on the same level, although they differ in style. CoS suffers a little from Ross's involvement, but JW's new themes are no doubt as good as his themes from the other movies!

Why are there so many questions and comments about sales rate and stock? For ex, “I wonder how much thy sold the first hour?”

Huh? Why?

If you’ve no money then I guess being curious about stock is valid, but it seems to me a lot of times, this doesn’t seem to be the motive behind the specific questions.

I hope it sells out, and sells out fast, so that it shows that JW is a bankable name that deserves more complete releases: expanded re-releases as well as more comprehensive OSTs. Like, can we pleeeeeease have a 2cd OST of the next Star Wars instead of the single standard release?

I'm pretty sure they sold many in the first day. It's a big title, it draws not just JW admirers and film score fans, but also fans of the HP franchise. However, I think gone are the days where such items would sell out in a few hours, as we're living in a totally different era than 10 or 15 years ago when it comes to music fruition. The general audience don't buy CDs anymore, they listen to music on their devices from streaming services. I think a 20-year old guy or gal who is a massive HP fan probably doesn't think it's worth to shell out $100 for a boxset of CDs with music of the films. The business model is now geared toward that target audience and we should be very grateful that there are people like Mike, the gang at LLL and the other niche labels who offer physical product made with love and care toward our audience. Of course I wish they will sell out every title and will be able to produce even more beautiful sets in the near future. However, I think 5,000 copies is probably right enough to satisfy the demand of all of us here and perhaps even some more.

At the London symposium last month, Mike told an interesting fact to show how much the market has changed: in 1997, the Star Wars Special Edition 2-CD set sold 20,000 copies in the first day just in brick-and-mortar stores. Nowadays even a major pop artist doesn't sell that figure in just one day.

That's a hefty number! But it's Star Wars, of course i sold, it was the time of its rebirth.

The most MV said on FSM about Potter sales is:

ALOT!

12 minutes ago, Holko said:

And there's me hoping European resellers will have at least a chance to get stock from this first batch, not the next one 7 months from now.

MV already told that third-party retailers will receive Black Friday stock after LLL's direct orders will be fulfilled. I'm confident they ordered a hefty amount of HP set as the first pressing just because they knew the demand would be pretty large, so I think Intrada, SAE, MusicBox and others will receive at least a limited amount after the Holidays. To give you a reference, two years ago the JP set (which probably had a similar demand) was available around mid-December on third-party retailers. Harry Potter is likely selling more than the JP set, so I hope stock will be newly available in January.

6 minutes ago, Holko said:

That's a hefty number! But it's Star Wars, of course i sold, it was the time of its rebirth.

Of course it's Star Wars, but it was also another era for record sales. The Titanic soundtrack the same year sold 18 million copies worldwide. In 1992, the song album of The Bodyguard sold 42 million copies (Alan Silvestri made millions of bucks just out of the single cue featured on that album!). Yes, both had major pop singers as a driving force, but nowadays even major pop and rock artists don't sell in those numbers.

On 11/23/2018 at 10:44 PM, Damien F said:

I'd also add Tintin. A lot of great unreleased music. It'll be a long time before that gets expanded though.

If the 20 year rule is true, 2031 at the earliest. :(

We do know the labels occasionally negotiate with unions for exceptions, so it's possible LLL might go down that path for post-2005 scores. Whether or not they get exceptions is another story but surely they understand basic economics. Prohibitive fees means no release which means no money for their members. Reducing the fees means labels can afford expansions and their members make a profit. It's not rocket science.

9 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Mine still does! 

And that's another reason to hate Apple! 

But it doesn’t make sense to make a laptop way thicker and heavier just to include an optical drive... I have an external USB CD player which I use to import CDs to iTunes (https://goo.gl/images/T3Xy2y)

If I tried to look at my reflection in my older CDs I'd see a face with scratches, scuffs and marks too deep to clean.

On my newer CDs, I see the same thing!

images (63).jpeg

17 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

But it doesn’t make sense to make a laptop way thicker and heavier just to include an optical drive... I have an external USB CD player which I use to import CDs to iTunes (https://goo.gl/images/T3Xy2y)

Well, laptops can include an optical drive and still be thin... 

It's just more practical that way!

1 hour ago, Josh500 said:

Mine still does! 

And that's another reason to hate Apple! 

Apple have removed optical drives but most windows based machines have too. 

Laptops with optical drives are big, bulky, and ugly. 

Then again the work laptop I have doesn’t have an optical drive and it’s still big, bulky, and ugly! 

I like the BSX model, whereby the buyer gets a physical CD as well as high-res digital downloads when purchasing from their site.

Just think, we could all have already been listening to this set instead of wondering when it will arrive.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

If the 20 year rule is true, 2031 at the earliest. :(

We do know the labels occasionally negotiate with unions for exceptions, so it's possible LLL might go down that path for post-2005 scores. Whether or not they get exceptions is another story but surely they understand basic economics. Prohibitive fees means no release which means no money for their members. Reducing the fees means labels can afford expansions and their members make a profit. It's not rocket science.

I've long argued that the reuse fees system is illogical and doesn't benefit anyone. Although I don't believe it's actually the fees but the requirement to pay them up front, regardless of units sold (someone please correct me if that's wrong). It seems to me a very unfair system of transferring all of the risk to the label while giving orchestra members a return regardless of whether anything is sold. You'd think players would prefer regular incremental payments rather than nothing because small labels can't afford the lump sum.

1 hour ago, Arpy said:

If I tried to look at my reflection in my older CDs I'd see a face with scratches, scuffs and marks too deep to clean.

On my newer CDs, I see the same thing!

images (63).jpeg

Have you tried washing your face?

;)

25 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

Jay, is Marge points the finger on the set?

Yes, it's on the set but we don't know where it's been relegated. Possibly the end of track one (Lumos! Film Version) or in the alternate Aunt Marge's Waltz.

25 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

Jay, is Marge points the finger on the set?

How many times does he have to answer the same question? 

If it's written by JW and in the movie, it's on the set!

I’m curious if the booklet for PoA will explain a bit about this, if it’s even true;

• In that same movie (Harry Potter), John Williams was given an old version of the movie (as in: not the final cut). They found out at the recording stage in London where the score was to be recorded live using the London Symphony Orchestra, much to the distress of John Williams (and probably everyone). They had to rewrite and reorchestra parts of the score (the musicians in the meanwhile doing crossword puzzles).

Source