Harry Potter - The John Williams Soundtrack Collection 7CD boxset from La-La Land Records (2018)

Jay

I lent a videogame to my friend who had kids.When I tried to play it the PS4 ejected it and told me to clean it

When I go to his house I see Blurays and game disks not in their packages and face down on tables and shelves

When we rent from Redbox first thing I do is examine the disk and then clean it. Most of the time there are few if any issues.

I didn't even look at the underside of my CDs - I just assumed all was fine and ripped them. I guess I probably check used stuff, but not new.

Had a quick look just now for randomness' sake - all are fine.

1 hour ago, King Mark said:

When I go to his house I see Blurays and game disks not in their packages and face down on tables and shelves

I do that sometimes with BDs/DVDs of low value. But with music the CDs never leave the case once I've ripped them.

5 hours ago, TSMefford said:

I remember once lending someone one of my favorite blu-rays and getting it back looking very very similar to this:

SCRACTHED-DISC.jpg

There was a time (up until I was 12 or 13), when I had just started collecting John Williams soundtracks, when every single one of my CDs looked like this! I didn't care back then about scratches, and I put them anywhere and everywhere with the record side down. I was careless! 

Over the years I replaced every CD I had bought up to that point (around 15 CDs) and from that moment onward, I have been taking very good care of my collection. Right now, in my 30s, I'm obsessed about the purity of my discs to the point of OCD!

so you understand why I'm asking for a replacement disk.

It's like buying a  new reference book with dirty pages and bent covers .

I dunno, besides this and the JP disk , this also happened on a Lost in Space c.d. several years ago, also LLL, and that one skipped. I don't recall this happening to me on any other new DVD, Bluray,  videogame  C.D. I bought .Normally this should be 1/1000 chance but maybe LLL has a process of assembling the sets that makes them more prone to this , like they receive their pressed c.d.'s in piles stacked one on top of the other and if yours is at the bottom, like cdr packages sometimes have random scratched disks especially the bottom one

But all my 90's and early 2000's c.d.'s are slightly  worn because I played them in c.d. players a lot

51 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

There was a time (up until I was 12 or 13), when I had just started collecting John Williams soundtracks, when every single one of my CDs looked like this! I didn't care back then about scratches, and I put them anywhere and everywhere with the record side down. I was careless! 

Over the years I replaced every CD I had bought up to that point (around 15 CDs) and from that moment onward, I have been taking very good care of my collection. Right now, in my 30s, I'm obsessed about the purity of my discs to the point of OCD!

I relate to this so much.

Check it out, this is the current state of my original Chamber of Secrets album from 2002 (before I took proper care of things):

D9D82396-C141-4793-BC01-1F83CF3579BC.jpeg

81F53009-18DC-43CD-BFEC-4994972940D7.jpeg

25 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

Check it out, this is the current state of my original Chamber of Secrets album from 2002 (before I took proper care of things):

If I were you, I'd rebuy that. Yeah, even if we have the complete score now. Eventually the OST album will go OOP, and then it's worth a lot. And I mean not just worth a lot of money, but worth a lot in terms of collector's value and just as a piece musical history. JW released this back in 2002... In 2050, we're gonna look back at that year, like we do now at the 70s!

1 minute ago, Josh500 said:

If I were you, I'd rebuy that. Yeah, even if we have the complete score now. Eventually the OST album will go OOP, and then it's worth a lot. And I mean not just worth a lot of money, but worth a lot in terms of collector's value and just as a piece musical history. JW released this back in 2002... In 2050, we're gonna look back at that year, like we do now at the 70s!

Yeah I really should. I probably will soon.

my oldest CD's are from 1985 and they are starting to deteriorate. They are not terrible scratched but there are micro pin holes forming. Thankfully my very first CD still plays perfectly. Tears for Fears.

My second isn't doing so well, the original Star Wars cd, however my third Close Encounters of the Third Kind is fine too even though it probably has been played hundreds of times.

38 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Most of the games I'd get were really old, only one copy in stock. I've never had a scratched game disc that hasn't worked, it just looks ugly. Of course now I just get all my games digitally.

As a huge Nintendo fan, I used to collect tons games! Mostly Gameboy and Nintendo DS and 3DS, but also every console from Super Nintendo to Nintendo Switch! These days, I only get the most important games.

Strangely, I always took very good, almost religiously good care of my Nintendo stuff. But I know why. They cost a lot more than CDs. Plus, they have so much nostalgia value for me... Back then, games were more important than music to me.

Right now, I take very good care of all my things, but especially things that I consider to be creative forms of art... Music, movies, games, books.

26 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

my oldest CD's are from 1985 and they are starting to deteriorate. They are not terrible scratched but there are micro pin holes forming. Thankfully my very first CD still plays perfectly. Tears for Fears.

My second isn't doing so well, the original Star Wars cd, however my third Close Encounters of the Third Kind is fine too even though it probably has been played hundreds of times.

Where do you keep your CDs? Out in the open on a shelf, or locked up inside a drawer or something?

I think the sunlight (and the resultant heat) might be harmful to CDs, at least in the long run.

Almost all cd's are in their cases upright in shelves in a darkened room in the back of the house with all the window blinds closed. There are a handful here who have been taking care of our things longer than some have been alive, me, Alex, Richard, KM, Ricard. I try to take good care of my things. But the first batches of cds are experiencing problems beyond natural wear and tear. Entropy can be a pain in the musical ear

51 minutes ago, King Mark said:

I also re-bought a few 90's c.d.'s that had extensive scratching

My first CDs The Lost World: Jurassic Park and the RCA Victor The Empire Strikes Back Special Edition (Collector version) both had those cardboard pockets for the CDs and subsequently both were so badly scratched after a while I had to later replace them both. I still have both in my collection as a reminder to myself. If I have to buy CDs in these cardboard cases I always immediately replace them in jewel cases.

2 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

I just hope currently released CDs aren't made to deteriorate in a few decades....

They should really last a lifetime and longer, if reasonable good care is taken of them.

If I were the manufacturer I would certainly give my product a finite lifetime. It makes good business sense

1 minute ago, JoeinAR said:

If I were the manufacturer I would certainly give my product a finite lifetime. It makes good business sense

Yeah, it's called "planned obsolescence," and companies like Apple subscribe to it. 

However, not all companies are like that. In the case of CDs, not sure. If they are playable still in 50 years (as I'm sure they will be), I guess we have no right to complain. And even if not, we'll still have the digital files.

8 minutes ago, Incanus said:

My first CDs The Lost World: Jurassic Park and the RCA Victor The Empire Strikes Back Special Edition (Collector version) both had those cardboard pockets for the CDs and subsequently both were so badly scratched after a while I had to later replace them both. I still have both in my collection as a reminder to myself. If I have to buy CDs in these cardboard cases I always immediately replace them in jewel cases.

I think another "problem" back then was that we actually listened to the CDs, rather than music files. No wonder CDs wore out over time.

1 minute ago, JoeinAR said:

well apple was run by satan himself

Was?

37 minutes ago, Incanus said:

My first CDs The Lost World: Jurassic Park

Same here! It's scratched to hell too. It got so many runs in my discman (remember those?)

In fact, I lost the CD itself about 10 years ago and only have the case left. I'm not sure I ever found the disc...

Lucky we have no need for it anymore ! 

All of the CD's I've ever bought as new are in pristine quality. The only one that is only slightly less than stellar is the 1993 SW Anthology boxset, which I bought second-hand from an online library; it's still in pretty great quality though, given it's age and the fact that others have used it before me.

I have been keeping my earliest John Williams CDs locked up in a windowless cupboard for some 20 years now. I sometimes take them out to look at my collection or read the booklets. Never saw any deteriorations. Keeping fingers crossed.

3 hours ago, TSMefford said:

What did you do, run it over with a truck a few dozen times? 😂

2 hours ago, Josh500 said:

I just hope currently released CDs aren't made to deteriorate in a few decades....

They should really last a lifetime and longer, if reasonable good care is taken of them.

Yes!

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

Same here! It's scratched to hell too. It got so many runs in my discman (remember those?)

In fact, I lost the CD itself about 10 years ago and only have the case left. I'm not sure I ever found the disc...

Lucky we have no need for it anymore ! 

Well, the expanded release doesn't contain the OST program...

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Well, the expanded release doesn't contain the OST program...

But it can be recreated using everything in the LLL (not sure why anyone would want to though; the OST isn't a great representation of the score as recorded). 

Some CD's in my collection deteriorated over time even thought I wouldn't play them as much. But then, there are some more battered ones that still play just fine. Most of the stuff I bought in the past 12 years wasn't used more than once. I don't think there is a rule when it comes to CD preservation. But I sometimes worry about some of my okder albums.

Karol

25 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I like the physical aspect of taking the CD off the shelf, popping it into the player, and reading the liner notes.

I sometimes reread the liner notes, but I use the CD exactly once, and once only. On the first day, to rip it onto my computer. Then it's never used again (unless an accident happens and the music files get lost, I guess, but that's never happened to me so far--thank God).

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I like the physical aspect of taking the CD off the shelf, popping it into the player, and reading the liner notes.

Yes! I read the notes while listening to the first two scores but I want to listen to Azkaban without any distractions (so no liner notes until my second listen!)

So am I the only person in the world who ordered HP the minute it came available and is still “awaiting shipment” on it? I sent them a polite message two days ago inquiring about my order... no response. 

This wait has become unmanageable. I have dreams at night now about waiting endlessly for things and during the day I’m refreshing my inbox and the LLL order page every 30 minutes hoping to see an update... or at least an answer to my message. It’s obsessive and I hate it (it’s actually affecting my productivity at work) but everyone else has at least had theirs shipped if it’s not already sitting proudly on their shelf. What in the blue **** is holding mine up???

2 hours ago, Josh500 said:

I sometimes reread the liner notes, but I use the CD exactly once, and once only. On the first day, to rip it onto my computer. Then it's never used again (unless an accident happens and the music files get lost, I guess, but that's never happened to me so far--thank God).

Mine are played in the car over and over. I also use my expensive china. Its okay to use things and still take care of it. I had cds for 15 years before my first home computer.

9 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Have you tried contacting your local post office? Maybe they forgot to leave you a card or something?

Karol

Well if the tracking number is useless and the package doesn't show in the system of UPSP or our post office, how could they have my package? I would expect them to register it to their system if it has arrived in Finland.

But I could certainly try tomorrow.