Harry Potter - The John Williams Soundtrack Collection 7CD boxset from La-La Land Records (2018)

Jay

20 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Mine are played in the car over and over. I also use my expensive china. Its okay to use things and still take care of it. I had cds for 15 years before my first home computer.

Of course that's okay. Never claimed otherwise. But I do it differently. Doesn't mean one way is more wrong or more right than the other.

11 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Well if the tracking number is useless and the package doesn't show in the system of UPSP or our post office, how could they have my package? I would expect them to register it to their system if it has arrived in Finland.

But I could certainly try tomorrow.

I have a lot of orders from the US that have arrived on time and tracking is still showing they're on the way.

Karol

I think this will be the last Black Friday order I place with LLL. In future I will wait for Music Box records to get it in stock and order from them. 

Ordering something on the 27th of November and potentially not having it a month later really isn’t acceptable for the postage costs. 

I know the’re small and they aren’t Amazon but I’m not up for this sort of uncertain over Xmas presents in future. 

I don't think it would really matter as they have no control over the cost and/or delivery times. It's busy time of the year and that is all there is to it. Companies like Music Box also have their stock delivered this way (probably).

I remember waiting for my Waterworld for 4 weeks last year. That's how these things go sometimes.

Karol

As a fellow JW fan, sorry to hear your order is still not out to you. (I don't work for La-La Land.) I too have had a long wait, and I had an order finally ship yesterday. I do believe La-La's goal was to have everything out by today as I had some email with Matt last week, and he indicated this. Sorry yours has not made it out yet.

1 hour ago, Iron_Giant said:

So am I the only person in the world who ordered HP the minute it came available and is still “awaiting shipment” on it? I sent them a polite message two days ago inquiring about my order... no response. 

This wait has become unmanageable. I have dreams at night now about waiting endlessly for things and during the day I’m refreshing my inbox and the LLL order page every 30 minutes hoping to see an update... or at least an answer to my message. It’s obsessive and I hate it (it’s actually affecting my productivity at work) but everyone else has at least had theirs shipped if it’s not already sitting proudly on their shelf. What in the blue fuck is holding mine up???

If you ordered "The Land Of The Giants" in the same order, then your order was delayed because The Land of The Giants didn't come in in time.

Same as if you ordered it in the same order as anything else that may be currently awaiting stock.

if you ordered it by itself, or only with titles that are shipping, then it likely has shipped by now, but your order status for whatever reason never got updated.

If you try using the "contact us" page on their website again, you'll probably get a response within a reasonable amount of time.

9 minutes ago, rough cut said:

I am still waiting for Dracula to arrive...

They sold out of every copy they initially pressed pretty quickly, though they are expecting more stock in this week:

https://www.varesesarabande.com/products/dracula-the-deluxe-edition

25 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

I ordered within the first minute you could and I got a shipping email on the 7th of december. According to the tracking page, the package is still in Los Angeles and I live in Europe so it's a bit weird.

As I said above, tracking doesn't always work. Check with your local post office.

Karol

52 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Of course that's okay. Never claimed otherwise. But I do it differently. Doesn't mean one way is more wrong or more right than the other.

I am not disagreeing. I just once heard someone say (I believe it was Christopher Walken) whats the point of having something if you refuse to ever use it or display it. From that point on I followed that advice. Besides I hated ipods and mp3 players and whoever came up with suffle... well

1 minute ago, JoeinAR said:

I am not disagreeing. I just once heard someone say (I believe it was Christopher Walken) whats the point of having something if you refuse to ever use it or display it. From that point on I followed that advice. Besides I hated ipods and mp3 players and whoever came up with suffle... well

I'm with you on that. Although I will admit I'm sort of middle ground between these two. For example, I will not take my brand new Harry Potter discs and play them in my car. Typically I'll burn a copy disc for use in the car, but listen to the original discs at home or something. I just don't want those sitting out in a hot car or something when I can protect them better.

Things like China though I'm like yeah...I'm gonna use that or I'm not gonna have it...

22 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Besides I hated ipods and mp3 players and whoever came up with suffle... well

I was a teenager in the 90's. So I grew up in both worlds. I used to listen to CDs and enjoy my music, too - the most natural thing in the world! 

But then the digital music player took off - and one simply cannot ignore the practical side of it. These days, whenever and wherever I go, I carry my digital music player around with me (not an iPod!) and I have my entire John Williams library and a ton of other stuff in my pocket, in perfect sound quality. That's over 10,000 tracks! That was unimaginable in the 80's and early 90's.

But yeah, on one thing I agree with you... I hate Apple. I would never buy an iPhone or iPod. Before I do that, I'd rather carry my CDs around with me! 

2 minutes ago, crocodile said:

The only item I've ever used is iPod 160GB classic. I still use it every day. It's one of the best devices ever created. Shame they don't make them anymore.

You're still using it? 

Does the battery still last? Or have you replaced it a couple of times over the years? 

2 minutes ago, crocodile said:

The only item I've ever used is iPod 160GB classic. I still use it every day. It's one of the best devices ever created. Shame they don't make them anymore.

Karol

Same! Mine is beat up to hell, but it is still going strong. Amazing device.

6 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

You're still using it? 

Does the battery still last? Or have you replaced it a couple of times over the years? 

I had two or three over the past 13 years. But any of the faults had nothing to do with battery life. One of the I just dropped and the other one had a faulty earbud socket. It still lasts several days on one charge.

Karol

7 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I had two or three over the past 13 years. But any of the faults had nothing to do with battery life. One of the I just dropped and the other one had a faulty earbud socket. It still lasts several days on one charge.

Karol

Could you post a pic of it here? Maybe playing the new HP!? I'd like to see how a 13 year old battered iPod classic looks! :P

4 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Just because you asked (this is a 2009 one):

IMG_20181219_155204033_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Karol

I need to get a new one. Mine recently had the headphone jack go wonky. Only plays the right side unless you put pressure on it. 😕

Miss my 160Gb iPod Classic so much :( 

Started making weird noises, lost all my music.

Didn't lose my nerve: I put all the music I had back in it, starting from scratch.
Lost it again. Both the music and my nerve. Smashed the fucker on my windowsill.
2012 was a dark year for me.

Still a great device, though. Now I have a 128 Gb (used) iPhone, but it's not the same thing.
Nah, it's okay.

Schermata 2018-12-19 alle 16.58.57.png

4 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

I'm using this premium digital music player from Sony NW-WM1A, with 256 GB (with micro SD)! The sound quality is the best I've ever experienced, with the right earphones... 

DSC_7386.JPG

Wow nice!

1 minute ago, Brundlefly said:

I will change "Through the Doors" to "Entry Into the Great Hall", and "Entry Into the Great Hall and The Banquet" to "The Banquet". That juridical policy is ridiculous.

Agreed. I've been making some copies of some of the files to rename them and keep them separate

I'm using this premium digital music player from Sony NW-WM1A, with 256 GB (with micro SD)! The sound quality is the best I've ever experienced, with the right earphones... 

DSC_7386.JPG

Good lord this thing is over $1,000 ?!?!  Why so much?  

8 minutes ago, ATXHusker said:

Good lord this thing is over $1,000 ?!?!  Why so much?  

It's a premium device. Meaning it's by far the best technology has to offer at this point. Like I said, sound quality is noticeably better than the average music players... 

Audiophiles and professional musicians generally use such devices.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

They sold out of every copy they initially pressed pretty quickly, though they are expecting more stock in this week

I ordered it immediately when it came out, got my shipping notice and everything. It left the US on Nov 13th. So this is no fault of VS, but my local post office.

11 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

There is one on Amazon with 256GB and with a copper pod for 3.299€.

That's the Sony NW-WM1Z. That one's gold-plated (not because it looks pretty, but because it's better for sound quality). I actually considered buying that at first. But that thing is much heavier than the model I have, it's not very practical. And sound is only better by a miniscule amount.

I'll probably get all my orders around Christmas.

The Philosopher's Stone

The Chamber of Secrets

The Prisoner of Azkaban

Schindler's List

Dracula

Saving Private Ryan

Home Alone

The Reincarnation of Peter Proud

Dennis the Menace

La Califfa

Cinema Paradiso

That is too much for my ears.

5 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

I'll probably get all my orders around Christmas.

The Philosopher's Stone

The Chamber of Secrets

The Prisoner of Azkaban

Schindler's List

Dracula

Saving Private Ryan

Home Alone

The Reincarnation of Peter Proud

Dennis the Menace

La Califfa

Cinema Paradiso

That is too much for my ears.

By the time you're done listening to all these several times, it's probably Christmas 2019! ;)

2 minutes ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

I purposely limited the amount of albums I ordered with the Potter box set in order to not get flooded in music.

Also, this stuff is expensive.

Tell me about it. I've got a really modest wish list right now that adds up to over $450

1 hour ago, Josh500 said:

I was a teenager in the 90's. So I grew up in both worlds. I used to listen to CDs and enjoy my music, too - the most natural thing in the world! 

But then the digital music player took off - and one simply cannot ignore the practical side of it. These days, whenever and wherever I go, I carry my digital music player around with me (not an iPod!) and I have my entire John Williams library and a ton of other stuff in my pocket, in perfect sound quality. That's over 10,000 tracks! That was unimaginable in the 80's and early 90's.

Over 10,000 tracks!?! Wow!

My iTunes library is packed to the brim with the Maestro's works. That adds up to 3,152 tracks! I listen using my Bose headphones, and the sound quality is just perfect. That, combined with a nice hot cup of tea is all I need. Just out of curiosity, does your library include music composed by John Williams but not conducted by him, for example pieces performed by the City of Prague Philharmonic? My library consists of every release from the Maestro, including all his scores for both film and concert hall. It will continue to grow of course with each new release, the next one being the new recording of his Concerto for Trumpet and Orchestra that he conducted in addition to his Suite from Born On the Fourth of July. The only releases I don't have is his score to the pilot of Nightwatch and his score to Valley of the Dolls, as well as obviously scores that have not been released yet (The Sugarland Express, for example). Unless it is a recording of a concerto that has yet to be recorded with the Maestro conducting, all tracks are either composed and/or conducted by him.

57 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

10,000 tracks!?! Wow! My iTunes library is packed to the brim with the Maestro's works. That adds up to 3,152 tracks. Just out of curiosity, does your library include music composed by John Williams but not conducted by him, for example pieces performed by the City of Prague Philharmonic? My library consists of every release from the Maestro, including all his scores for both film and concert hall. It will continue to grow of course with each new release, the next one being the new recording of his Concerto for Trumpet and Orchestra that he conducted in addition to his Suite from Born On the Fourth of July. The only releases I don't have is his score to the pilot of Nightwatch and his score to Valley of the Dolls, as well as obviously scores that have not been released yet (The Sugarland Express, for example). Unless it is a recording of a concerto that has yet to be recorded with the Maestro conducting, all tracks are either composed and/or conducted by him.

Well, I meant 10,000 tracks total on my music player... Not just John Williams. Like I said above, I have tons of other stuff on my player as well. Jerry Goldsmith, James Horner, classical music (mostly Tchaikovsky, Chopin and Beethoven), oldies, and current hits as well (I'm a big fan of Eric Clapton)! 

I own around 160 JW albums (including OSTs, BPO albums, expanded releases, and miscellaneous stuff) which amount to around 4,000 tracks, I'd say. Maybe a little less than that, I'm not sure.

56 minutes ago, Chewy said:

@Josh500 Is your device gapless?

Gapless? You mean between individual tracks? Of course!

My iPod 160 Classic also still works, but I only use it in the car when it's connected to the USB cable for data and power. I know its battery life is no longer reliable enough for standalone use, but it doesn't matter anymore. If it won't hold a charge for, say, airplane travel, I use a newer iPod mini. 

Well, I meant 10,000 tracks total on my music player... Not just John Williams. Like I said above, I have tons of other stuff on my player as well. Jerry Goldsmith, James Horner, classical music (mostly Tchaikovsky, Chopin and Beethoven), oldies, and current hits as well (I'm a big fan of Eric Clapton)! 

I own around 120 JW albums (including OSTs, BPO albums, expanded releases, and miscellaneous stuff) which amount to around 4,000 tracks, I'd say. Maybe a little less than that, I'm not sure.

Okay. I was gonna say; I thought I was missing a lot, as I am very thorough when it comes to collecting the Maestro's work. If you were to give me a list of all the Maestro's work, I would check off close to 96% of his entire career (of course, that does not include his scores that have yet to be given the expanded and definitive treatment).

2 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

Okay. I was gonna say; I thought I was missing a lot, as I am very thorough when it comes to collecting the Maestro's work. If you were to give me a list of all the Maestro's work, I would check off close to 96% of his entire career (of course, that does not include his scores that have yet to be given the expanded and definitive treatment).

This year alone, what with all these wonderful expanded releases and Solo, another 250 JW tracks or so were added to my player! The library keeps growing and growing! I'd say, keep em coming! :)

15 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

oldies

Any Bangles?  

Does anyone play the guitar with such fluid passion as Clapton?

12 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

I haven't even listened to E.T. and CE3K and that is no joke.

Do yourself a favor and listen to them now.

My package arrived in Vienna and left the airport 20 hours ago. Next step should be customs clearance, and the customs office is right there at the airport, but no tracking update since then...

3 hours ago, rough cut said:

I am still waiting for Dracula to arrive...

I suspect mine fell of a conveyor belt somewhere in SF over a week ago. But since there's still a tracking number for it, shouldn't it raise a flag somewhere in USPS's system and prompt someone to go and recover it?

1 hour ago, JohnnyD said:

Over 10,000 tracks!?! Wow!

Yeah that iPod in the picture above has 21234 tracks on it (but that is far from complete library). And still another 21.9GB to spare.

Karol

2 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

I haven't even listened to E.T. and CE3K and that is no joke.

That is no joke, it is very sad but you are in for a treat when you do.

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

My package arrived in Vienna and left the airport 20 hours ago. Next step should be customs clearance, and the customs office is right there at the airport, but no tracking update since then...

I suspect mine fell of a conveyor belt somewhere in SF over a week ago. But since there's still a tracking number for it, shouldn't it raise a flag somewhere in USPS's system and prompt someone to go and recover it?

No.