Harry Potter - The John Williams Soundtrack Collection 7CD boxset from La-La Land Records (2018)

Jay

On 12/26/2018 at 3:22 AM, Demodex said:

I opened my set today. Very impressive. Then 5 minutes later I was carrying it to my computer when all the contents fell out of the box and various parts of the jewel cases broke. 

I did nearly the same thing when I was ripping my set, I finally finished ripping and put it all back in the box and as I was carrying it upstairs it all fell out! I screamed like I just dropped my baby or something! Nothing broken, fortunately! The cases don't really fit snugly as compared to something like the Indiana Jones Concord set (perhaps that's a little on the 'too snug' side!)

2 hours ago, Arpy said:

I did nearly the same thing when I was ripping my set, I finally finished ripping and put it all back in the box and as I was carrying it upstairs it all fell out! I screamed like I just dropped my baby or something! Nothing broken, fortunately! The cases don't really fit snugly as compared to something like the Indiana Jones Concord set (perhaps that's a little on the 'too snug' side!)

So that's not just my case. I thought mine was a faulty box or something.

But they probably did that intentionally so as not to scratch the cases while putting them back in the box. Or else, initially that booklet was planned to be a bit thicker than it turned out....

2 hours ago, Arpy said:

I did nearly the same thing when I was ripping my set, I finally finished ripping and put it all back in the box and as I was carrying it upstairs it all fell out! I screamed like I just dropped my baby or something! 

Probably screamed as if a Great White had attacked you out in the open sea! :P😂

On 12/25/2018 at 12:13 PM, Wojism said:

Aarrrgh. Another person who insists on capitalizing conjunctions. :folder:

I manually change everything prior to importing the CDs. Can't stand that.

6 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

For what? The booklet? 

For the CDs. :D

5 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

You don't have that set yet, do you? 

I'm waiting for the second pressing when they've corrected all the faults.

This set blew my mind away and it totally exceeded my expectations, but if there is one thing I am slightly disappointed about, it's the booklet (the big general one). The way everybody was talking about it, I really expected a thicker, more comprehensive booklet with tons of new info! 

As it is, we got a nice little booklet with many color photographs and all the liner notes from the OST albums and a few other previously published stuff.... O-kay. What was the point of that? They could have put everything in the individual booklets along with the track titles... But that's just a small thing, really.

Also, the regular individual booklets were written by MM, so no faults there.

It was jay's manager request. It order to let them put his name on the set he had to work on a certain number of pages. So the general booklet was a late addition because his name HAD to be there. :P

Yeah. The three booklets were great but the general booklet is a bit... what’s the point? 

Not that im actually complaining but I wouldn’t be raving about the general booklet. 

The big booklet is probably meant to hold this set together, give it more of a feel of "unity."

Otherwise it's just three separate expanded soundtrack albums of three separate movies stuck in a box...

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'm waiting for the second pressing when they've corrected all the faults.

The first pressing of Jurassic Park didn't have the teeth.  A large portion of one of the later pressings had booklet assembly errors.  The later pressings aren't always a corrective on previous pressings, and plant errors can happen at any time!

Yeah in my case a new tracking number was created when it first arrived in France, but since it is not communicated we have no information for some days 😕

Didn’t arrive for Christmas, but the ordeal is over after terrible service from all parties involved.

All in all, not a bad holiday haul though, now just need time to listen to it all!

F691118B-F590-4768-BAF1-36D1E3CA3F90.jpeg

58 minutes ago, Diego said:

Didn’t arrive for Christmas, but the ordeal is over after terrible service from all parties involved.

All in all, not a bad holiday haul though, now just need time to listen to it all!

My man! Nice to see you drop in!

Mine is still sitting underneath the tree unlistened to. I'm enjoying my 4K player visually rather than aurally. Got Poltergeist in right now. The great Goldsmith score is a very emotional score.

15460375886301115053248857382504.jpg

Hard to believe there are people who ordered this set on the first day and are still waiting for it! 

It should be like pizza delivery. It the package doesn't arrive within a certain period (say, within 2 weeks from overseas), the post should deliver it free of charge! Or pay for the whole thing altogether! :P

Haha, yes.

Can you believe I STILL haven’t got my hands on Dracula, let alone the HP set...

(Though to be fair, I hope it arrived at the beginning of this week, but I am traveling for the holidays. But still.)

27 minutes ago, rough cut said:

Haha, yes.

Can you believe I STILL haven’t got my hands on Dracula, let alone the HP set...

(Though to be fair, I hope it arrived at the beginning of this week, but I am traveling for the holidays. But still.)

Where are you located again? 

And Dracula? You mean JW's Dracula? WTH.

7 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Hard to believe there are people who ordered this set on the first day and are still waiting for it! 

It should be like pizza delivery. It the package doesn't arrive within a certain period (say, within 2 weeks from overseas), the post should deliver it free of charge! Or pay for the whole thing altogether! :P

For the first time since I order and buy in Lalaland records or Intrada it happened that I had no preview of tracking the package path since it left lalaland on 13th of December. Complete silence. And suddenly I get the news that December 29th the package is already in Poland in the capital of the country Warsaw. Very close to the airport. Now I will continue to check if the package will meet the customs or not, and of course the road to my home in Wrocław. It won't take long now I think. Soon I will be able to listen to these marvelous music from John and David Arnold James Bond scores.

1 hour ago, staccato said:

For the first time since I order and buy in Lalaland records or Intrada it happened that I had no preview of tracking the package path since it left lalaland on 13th of December. Complete silence. And suddenly I get the news that December 29th the package is already in Poland in the capital of the country Warsaw. Very close to the airport. Now I will continue to check if the package will meet the customs or not, and of course the road to my home in Wrocław. It won't take long now I think. 

The tracking system seems to be rather hit-and-miss. Once my set left the airport in LA, I didn't hear anything for six days, either! And on the seventh day, my status said suddenly that it's due to arrive the next day!

Well, the good news in your case is that you can start the New Year with a bang! Literally. :D

I opened it yesterday. No broken teeth. Everything looks fine. Except one disc that has a hole in the plated coating (fortunately outside the burnt sectors so I hope it plays well) and the CDs fell very flimsy, and if you put them against the light they are transparent ( you can see the printed cover from the bottom side). This didn't happen with the Jurassic park discs for example. And one CoS disc has small scratch, but nothing that wouldn't be In a normal cd...

On 12/28/2018 at 2:12 PM, Diego said:

I spy an italian plumber in this photo.

Obviously this thread is 71 pages, so I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, but while listening to it just now, I noticed something fun:

On Disc 1, track 12, "The Journey to Hogwarts", there's a brief quote of a theme from Home Alone 2.

Starting at 1:04 there's a very Christmas-y section of the cue, and it concludes at 1:24 with the last 7 notes of the melody from "Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas" from Home Alone 2. Took me a couple of listens to remember why it was so familiar. Fun little Easter Egg there. :)

1 hour ago, jamesluckard said:

On Disc 1, track 12, "The Journey to Hogwarts", there's a brief quote of a theme from Home Alone 2.

Starting at 1:04 there's a very Christmas-y section of the cue, and it concludes at 1:24 with the last 7 notes of the melody from "Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas" from Home Alone 2. Took me a couple of listens to remember why it was so familiar. Fun little Easter Egg there. :)

That part is on the OST album, and we've been listening to it for 17 years! One of the highlights. Always loved this entire scene, movie and score! :)

That said, it's definitely not the same melody as "Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas" from HA2, meaning it's not a quote. Maybe (sub)consciously JW was channeling the Home Alone movies, though.... That could be. It has the same festive and joyous tone and orchestration! 

5 hours ago, Faleel J.M. said:

I spy an italian plumber in this photo.

What about Link? You completely ignore him?

Well I just got my copy and the first thing I noticed when I opened the box was an ugly gash across the front of the box. It was not caused by the transport since the damage was beneath the plastic wrapping and the box seems slightly bent. So this damage must have happened in the manufacturing phase. 

I doubt LLL would send me another copy if I e-mailed them. While the music is the main thing I hate it when such a deluxe item is damaged.

I just hope the discs work OK.

20181231_111222.jpg

20181231_111238.jpg

20181231_111251.jpg

Hopefully they can do something about this since I did pay a lot of money for this and naturally expected a pristine product. I'll shoot them an e-mail and ask. 

MV already mentioned on their LLL facebook page that they will be ready to cater to any complaints, lost packages, etc come Jan 2nd, 2019 when they resume their office. You should email them about the replacement  of the 'box'.

@Incanus

Well, good news that your set has finally arrived! :)

But yeah, definitely ask for a new case. That looks terrible... And am I the only one who, looking at this ugly gash, was reminded of this? :blink:

1hxDD.jpg

Well hopefully no one purposefully knifed my box. :P 

And in the good news the discs seem to be OK. Also Schindler's List 25th Anniversary set arrived in pristine condition.