Harry Potter - The John Williams Soundtrack Collection 7CD boxset from La-La Land Records (2018)

Jay

10 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Just got a reply from LLL and they are going to send me a replacement for the damaged cardboard outer box of the HP set. A class act this specialty label. :) 

So have you listened to all 7 CDs yet? Your first impression? 

4 hours ago, Incanus said:

I was a bit of two minds on the ticking clock sound effect overlayed on Saving Buckbeak sequence in POA but even that has slowly grown on me. My only wish is that they had included a version without it (well they actually have for the latter half with the Saving Buckbeak alternate). But that is my only and a very small complaint on the whole set which is saying something. Simply a stellar release.

My only complaint is the bad transition to the film version of the bat scene. By including the alternate Saving Buckbeak in the main program instead, they could have made this set 100% perfect (instead of only 99,5%).

Well I got the call today. My set is scheduled for delivery right into my hands by tomorrow. Now the nervous wait to discover whether it arrives intact 😓

LLL already sent me the replacement for the damaged outer cardboard case of the HP set yesterday. Very fast service from them I must say! :)

On 1/4/2019 at 6:51 PM, Luke Skywalker said:

The lurking box backstabber is still out there...

Let's hope he has been appeased by his last knifing and keeps well away from the second one.

On 1/5/2019 at 1:51 AM, Luke Skywalker said:

The lurking box backstabber is still out there...

Anybody know where William Ross was when this was delivered? 😂 

I blame William Ross!

On 1/3/2019 at 11:39 AM, Incanus said:

I was a bit of two minds on the ticking clock sound effect overlayed on Saving Buckbeak sequence in POA but even that has slowly grown on me. My only wish is that they had included a version without it (well they actually have for the latter half with the Saving Buckbeak alternate). But that is my only and a very small complaint on the whole set which is saying something. Simply a stellar release.

Yes, if I'm going to point out one improvement it would be to have included that track as it appears in the film in the main program and a version with no ticking at all in the bonus section.

IMO this applies really to any situation where the film removed a part of the mix that was major enough to change the meaning of the cue, and the album restored the cue to its intended mix. I think album producers should recognise more when that's happened and offer an alternate mix for those who want to hear what was in the film. I was disappointed when Body Double from TWINE included the synths all the way through, when the film dials them out for the first section. That's a textbook example of the tone of the cue changing completely by removing part of the mix. It's especially surprising that some other cues were included as alternates with barely perceivable differences and yet this one didn't. (Perhaps they didn't have the elements required to do that...)

22 hours ago, Incanus said:

Let's hope he has been appeased by his last knifing and keeps well away from the second one.

Maybe it was one of the horcruxes. ;)

Karol

I've just ordered this, so it'll hopefully be with me in the next few weeks. I'll be jazzed to receive it! It deserves a place on any JW fan's shelf for sure!

15 minutes ago, Holko said:

It's here!!!

@rough cut, MusicBox packaged it excellently, two layers of bubblewrap all around and a snugly fitting cardboard box.

Feels great to hold it, looks gorgeous, the middle black bit of PS is absolutely destroyed, exactly half the teeth have broken off. Disc seems fine, will rip it as soon as possible. If I remember this and handle it carefully, it won't come loose and rattle around.

You orderd yours weeks later then mine and you still got it before me. Life really is unfair some times 😭.

If I ordered it here to the border of Mordor from the US instead of France, I'd probably still be waiting for it a bit, same as you, as well as paying extra that adds up to the same price I paid this way or more.

Any damage could've occurred during manufacturing, inserting the discs with force etc. It's possible to break in shipping too, the discs can still move around and if the box is dropped, the CDs are gonna move.

On January 7, 2019 at 9:39 AM, rough cut said:

One thing I don’t understand though. How the hell come the teeth are broken, if they are inside the box? 

I hate when that happens. In my experience, it's only occurred once, but now I keep extra CD case parts around just in case. It was back when I got The Hunchback of Notre Dame OST. The packaging was pretty sturdy, pretty good, but you bump it around enough it's gonna break. It's not neccesarily strong, plastic.

43 minutes ago, King Mark said:

Lalaland still hasn't replied to my scratched disk

Really? They sent me a replacement disc 1 almost immediately. I asked for one about a week ago and got it yesterday.

5 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

Really? They sent me a replacement disc 1 almost immediately. I asked for one about a week ago and got it yesterday.

I just sent them another message. I'm pissed they didn't bother to reply to the ones I sent. It was during the holidays maybe they forgot

5 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Wonder how many copies are still left. I'm thinking of ordering another set, as long as it's still in print... :D

But why?

1 hour ago, Chewy said:

But why?

As a gift. 

1 hour ago, King Mark said:

I just sent them another message. I'm pissed they didn't bother to reply to the ones I sent. It was during the holidays maybe they forgot

Don't know how they could just forget.... It's an email! It doesn't just disappear on its own after you open it.

Maybe they haven't looked at it. I wrote them through the online form about 6-8 times and for about half of those I never got an answer, the other half are resends.

22 hours ago, King Mark said:

I wrote them through their online form. Is there a better way to contact them?

I contacted them with that online form on their site about my damaged box and they answered in a couple of days and sent me the replacement soon after.

Oh and it seems that LLL's package tracking doesn't work beyond US for me for some reason. It used to. The replacement box's tracking ended on the 9th of January as it was in transit to next USPS facility just like the original order's tracking.

1 hour ago, Smaug the iron said:

I have it! Finely after 1,5 month I can now listen to the complete score from some of my favorite scores. 

Congrats! Did it come through unharmed?

On 1/14/2019 at 6:54 PM, King Mark said:

what was wrong with your box? edit: ok I saw ..pretty bad

I just got an email they sent me the replacement disk

I learned that it's much better to contact LLL through their "main" message form via the "Contact Us" link on their homepage, NOT through the message form on the order status page. They may not be seeing the latter ones, but are prompt about answering the former.

I learned this the hard way with HP... I waited vainly for their replies when I messaged them through the order status page, but it was only after I contacted them through the main page that they got back to me. To their credit, they answered the same day and were apologetic and immediately shipped my order. (Apparently, it simply got lost in the shuffle and there was no reason I shouldn't have received my order in a timely way.)

On 1/15/2019 at 11:30 AM, Smaug the iron said:

I have it! Finely after 1,5 month I can now listen to the complete score from some of my favorite scores. 

Congrats! I’m still waiting for the PostNord people to send my set!