Harry Potter - The John Williams Soundtrack Collection 7CD boxset from La-La Land Records (2018)

Jay

7 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

Congrats! I’m still waiting for the PostNord people to send my set!

A warning, I did not get a text or email that my set was delivered to my local post office. I had to call Postnord to get my confirmation if my set had arrived. 

43 minutes ago, Smaug the iron said:

A warning, I did not get a text or email that my set was delivered to my local post office. I had to call Postnord to get my confirmation if my set had arrived. 

I actually just got a letter from PostNord that said that I could pick it up at my local post office! Will hopefully have time to get it tomorrow!

7 minutes ago, Kühni said:

Do I need to retain the OSTs for any unique alternates? I don't mind if there were any edits or cross-fades etc. that were particular to the OSTs... (My apologies...time's too short for reading through the preceding 73 pages.)

The only actually different alternates were on the Azkaban OST and all those are present in the bonus section. Chamber also includes takes that were different on the OST than in the final film but have no compositional differences. So, unless you for some damn reason like the abridged presentations, this set makes them 100% obsolete.

I think.

Of course Jay hasn't shared or finished his Azkaban spreadsheet yet (nudge nudge ;))

Wow my replacement box's tracking is working and it shows that after they sent it on the 3rd of January the package has arrived to Hungary last Thursday. Which is nice and all but I live in Finland. That is some strange detour to take and it was even processed through customs for some odd reason.

Sadly 2-3 weeks seems to be the norm for international deliveries now when in previous years it has been about a week.

12 minutes ago, Holko said:

Sorry, I'll shout over to them.

Thank you. I am sure they'll mend their wicked ways after that.

Not that there is any hurry since it is only the outer cardboard box and I already have the CDs but it is still baffling how roundabout routes mail can travel on its way to its final destination.

There is nothing on the Potter OSTs that isn't on the new set.  Mike made sure to include everything.

The ONLY possible exception to this is supposedly the take of the ghosty choir used singing "Cast A Christmas Spell" may be SLIGHTLY different on the OST edition, I haven't bothered to compare myself because the film version is perfectly fine for me.

13 hours ago, Incanus said:

Wow my replacement box's tracking is working and it shows that after they sent it on the 3rd of January the package has arrived to Hungary last Thursday. Which is nice and all but I live in Finland. That is some strange detour to take and it was even processed through customs for some odd reason.

Sadly 2-3 weeks seems to be the norm for international deliveries now when in previous years it has been about a week.

My friend who also requested a replacement box got his very quickly, much faster than the actual CD set.

12 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

I wonder why both the film and OST version have that carol with overlays while the sessions only have the acapela carol and no separate overlays. Somehow those synths really sound out-of-place.

Yes, it's strange hearing the synth overlays, although I can now create a playlist with and without using the session elements.

21 hours ago, Incanus said:

That's really weird! 

Usually, when a direct delivery is not feasible, most mail coming from the US to Europe arrive via the UK or Germany

Well luckily the package now shows up in Finnish postal service's tracking so it has arrived in the country. I might get it by the end of the week if the postal service in their magnanimous grace deem it worthy of being delivered in three days from the airport to me 16 km away.

Fingers crossed the replacement box hasn't been damaged during its grand tour through Europe. I would hate to demand a replacement for the second time from LLL.

10 hours ago, Incanus said:

Well luckily the package now shows up in Finnish postal service's tracking so it has arrived in the country. I might get it by the end of the week if the postal service in their magnanimous grace deem it worthy of being delivered in three days from the airport to me 16 km away.

Fingers crossed the replacement box hasn't been damaged during its grand tour through Europe. I would hate to demand a replacement for the second time from LLL.

Yeah, it's rather tricky just sending the slipcase by itself. It will easily get squashed or otherwise damaged if the outer box isn't solid enough. 

Hoping for you that it will arrive in one piece! :)

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

I shudder to think about how much it has cost LLL to send out various replacements for damaged sets.

Indeed! 

LLL is a great label and they do amazing, wonderful work, but I wish they'd step up quality control! These days, you feel lucky when one of their sets arrives undamaged.... But this should be the rule rather than the exception!

6 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

LLL is a great label and they do amazing, wonderful work, but I wish they'd step up quality control!

Well yes, but can you imagine what would happen here if they announced: "We've received the first 2,000 Potter sets and will probably start sending them out in a week, once they've passed quality control"?

8 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Well yes, but can you imagine what would happen here if they announced: "We've received the first 2,000 Potter sets and will probably start sending them out in a week, once they've passed quality control"?

Well, sufficient quality control should be an indispensable part of any well-functioning, successful operation, company, or enterprise. In the long run, they'd save money if they have to ship less replacements, which would be to their own advantage. Also, not to forget, they'd have more happy customers, willing to spend more! Customer satisfaction would he higher, in other words, and consequently their net profit would be higher as well.

13 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I work in the software industry, so believe me, I know. You haven't answered my question though.

What question? Can I imagine what would happen? 

Sure, I can imagine all sorts of things. I can also imagine them getting a handle on quality control and everything working smoothly, like a well-oiled clockwork, with the end result being fewer damaged products, fewer replacements, and happier customers. 

30 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

People would buy the set anyway, after a week of whining.

31 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

If quality control doesn't happen during the manufacturing process, before they are sent, I'd look for another company to manufacture their items.

But to be fair, LLL usually does deliver its products in perfect condition! 

It's just that with this latest release, the HP box set (which is, arguably, the most important release in its history), there seemed to be far more defective sets than usual. Also, somebody remarked that they started using different cheaper cases? The question is, is it coincidence, or are they now cutting corners to save money? 

40 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Sure, I can imagine all sorts of things. I can also imagine them getting a handle on quality control and everything working smoothly, like a well-oiled clockwork,

Yes, but if quality control is their own task after they receive the pressed CDs, it takes time. And you noticed how upset people got without that additional delay. In the end, they had to send out a few replacements, and probably more than should be necessary, but it's not like every set was defective. If the amount of replacements is acceptable on their end, it may in fact be a reasonable tradeoff for faster shipping. After all, most people received working CDs, even if the box was squashed or individual CDs were slightly scratched - meaning they could enjoy the music while waiting for the replacement package to arrive.

3 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Yes, but if quality control is their own task after they receive the pressed CDs, it takes time. And you noticed how upset people got without that additional delay. In the end, they had to send out a few replacements, and probably more than should be necessary, but it's not like every set was defective. If the amount of replacements is acceptable on their end, it may in fact be a reasonable tradeoff for faster shipping. After all, most people received working CDs, even if the box was squashed or individual CDs were slightly scratched - meaning they could enjoy the music while waiting for the replacement package to arrive.

Hmmm, I see what you're saying, but that seems like an excuse. Quality control is always very important and even critical, for any business that takes money from its customers! Upon quality control hinges the company's reputation, customer satisfaction, client satisfaction, and ultimately the worth of the company itself! 

Like I said, it's not that bad in LLL's case, but it's a slipperly slope, and once LLL gets the reputation that it produces and delivers shoddily produced and flawed products, it may be hard for them to recover!

This thing has thousands of copies and a handful of people on here have reported issues - only a few of which I can remember actually resulting in asking LLL for replacement bits.

I think 'once LLL gets the reputation that it produces and delivers shoddily produced and flawed products' is a very unfair assessment.

The fact that this is a premium product is making us examine it more closely. And if you think of the instances of cracked jewel cases (no shortage of them generally), the odd scratched box or scratched CD seems to me to be that < 0.1% defect rate that is just accepted as inevitable.

25 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

This thing has thousands of copies and a handful of people on here have reported issues - only a few of which I can remember actually resulting in asking LLL for replacement bits.

The fact that this is a premium product is making us examine it more closely, I think, but if you think of the instances of cracked jewel cases (no shortage of them generally), the odd scratched box or scratched CD seems to me to be that that < 0.1% defect rate that is just accepted as inevitable.

Less than 0,1% means less than 1 set per 1,000. 

And that can't be right! How many active members here on JWfan got the set? Let's say a hundred. How many discovered their set had an issue in general, whether requiring replacement or not? 

Let's see, we had defective CDs, badly scratched CDs, lightly scratched CDs, misaligned cover, deep scratches on the slipcase, light scratches or scuffs on slipcase, broken teeth, broken case. So pretty much anything that can go wrong with such a set we had (although yes, it's not all LLL's fault, the mail service was at fault too)!

And even if we assume only a third of those needed replacement, it's way more than 0,1%! 

1 minute ago, Incanus said:

Well I finally received my replacement for the outer box today and in immaculate condition. The HP boxed set is finally complete! :) 

Great news, congrats! 

What are you gonna do with the old damaged slipcase? Throw it away? Put it up for sale on eBay? Or keep it as a memento? :D

1 minute ago, Josh500 said:

Great news, congrats! 

What are you gonna do with the old damaged slipcase? Throw it away? Put it up for sale on eBay? Or keep it as a memento? :D

I'll of course keep the damaged one as a memento of this whole thing. :P 

9 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

The real question is, when are you going to start writing your HP3 analysis?

Well I guess I have to start both CoS and PoA analyses soon now although other hobbies and life in general keeps on intruding on my film music interests and taking time away from it. But there is no excuse of not having the music in pristine quality available now. :P 

3 hours ago, Incanus said:

I was thinking of Bilbo. He wants both.

Same here! Cos is amazing! So underrated.

I love the spooky, gloomy, creepy atmosphere.

I have listened to maybe 30 mins and thats it. I thought I would be more interested than I have been.

The only "thing" that mars COS for me slightly is WR! Just the fact that he was involved means that JW was not 100% involved.

But still, the many highlights of this score are absolutely stunning.