Harry Potter - The John Williams Soundtrack Collection 7CD boxset from La-La Land Records (2018)

Jay

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

Aww, don't encourage them! Say what you want, but Ross instilled a level of liveliness and enthusiasm in COS that Stone really lacks.

COS actually grew on me quite a lot! Especially after listening to the expanded LLL master: a lot of iterations of the Chamber theme were missing from the OST. It's a really enjoyable score, and it made me wish the POA soundtrack (which I love) had more old themes intertwined with the new ones.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I'll never understand why they didn't put any of the development of the Chamber theme on the original COS OST.  It's essential to the score!

I remember buying the COS OST in 2002, a few days before watching the movie. 
I immediately fell in love with the Chamber theme, and I was so disappointed when I couldn't find it anywhere else in the soundtrack.
It's such a great piece of music: I've always imagined it to be Hedwig's Theme's evil twin :)

I've always loved the Chamber theme. It's less directly evil than Voldy's themes, but more mysterious and enigmatic. It works perfectly addressing the mystery of the Chamber that the boys have to resolve, and because of that is much more frightening.

It's also a little similar to the kryptonite theme from Superman, lol.

9 hours ago, redishere said:

I remember buying the COS OST in 2002, a few days before watching the movie. 
I immediately fell in love with the Chamber theme, and I was so disappointed when I couldn't find it anywhere else in the soundtrack.
It's such a great piece of music: I've always imagined it to be Hedwig's Theme's evil twin :)

Hah, I never realised that the chamber theme wasn't anywhere else on the OST.

Just now, bollemanneke said:

Hah, I never realised that the chamber theme wasn't anywhere else on the OST.

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I remember when I first listened to the recording sessions and was surprised to hear how many times the COS theme appeared.

From my analysis thing I count 9 proper (maybe not complete) statements plus some more traces of it outside of the concert arrangement. He had plenty to choose from!

I love how relatively alien the big bombastic concert pieces are in comparison to the sparse Fawkes or Dobby, or the usually low-profile Chamber appearances. It's like he felt they would never be used again so he went out of his way to show their full potential they were never allowed to reach inside the score!

Fawkes and the Chamber themes get a lovely workout in Duelling the Basilisk, one of my favourite cues! The versatility of Fawkes' theme is such that it would've made a great theme for Dumbledore later on.

2 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Just looked at the OST tracklist, you really might be right about the chamber theme not appearing anywhere else. Totally absurd.

Okay, so that wasn't just my blurred memory of the OST!
It really is weird: they cut almost every statement of a theme named like the movie itself.
I'm trying to imagine what would become of other soundtracks if they kept the main theme out of the tracklist.
POA without the Double Trouble motif would probably just be Hedwig's Theme 

• 3 weeks later...

I missed out on the first printing, it looks like it is not available, but not sold out. Does anyone know when we should expect LaLaLand to do another printing? It looks like Silver Screen says they’ll have more in December; so maybe that’s a good guess? 

MV recently posted about this on October 18th

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned on any other thread but has there been any word when/if this set would be back in stock?

Good bleepin question

Answer: I have no clue. We put the reorder in back in July

Still waiting....

MV

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?pageID=5&forumID=1&threadID=132262&archive=0

No label ever orders all 5,000 copies up front.  You order some then order more if it sells well enough you need more.  Nothing in this business is a guarantee

On 10/13/2019 at 4:53 AM, Arpy said:

The versatility of Fawkes' theme is such that it would've made a great theme for Dumbledore later on.

Wow, never thought of that, but brilliant!  This would have been perfect.  Where were you seventeen years ago?  At any rate, it would be better than the sappy pop tune James Newton Howard wrote for him last year.

BACK IN STOCK!

“HARRY POTTER - THE JOHN WILLIAMS COLLECTION:
LIMITED EDITION (7-CD BOX SET)

This shipment of 500 units is the only quantity of the HARRY POTTER JOHN WILLIAMS COLLECTION BOX SET that will be available for the rest of this year, so if you wish to receive this item before Christmas, make sure you order now!

On 11/4/2019 at 7:44 PM, igger6 said:

Wow, never thought of that, but brilliant!  This would have been perfect.  Where were you seventeen years ago?  At any rate, it would be better than the sappy pop tune James Newton Howard wrote for him last year.

JNH really is a hit or miss composer.

5 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Will this new batch still have the frequency cutoffs in the third score or will that be fixed?

I can only see it being fixed on the potential solo release, based on some of the info that I've heard in the past.

While I still think it's a really crappy thing for something you're paying $100+ for, I've grown to get past it. Already made the edits replacing it with parts from the OST. Besides, it really means little if its inaudible to even the ears of an audiophile.

Aren't the cutoffs of this sort basically inaudible to humans?

If the problem were more prominent, such as like the lossy first issue of Thomas Bergersen's American Dream, which was a huge screw-up, then for a £100 box it would be unacceptable, but for something that we can't even hear it's easily let go.

13 hours ago, Chewy said:

No and that's fine, those tracks sound great anyway

9 hours ago, HunterTech said:

I can only see it being fixed on the potential solo release, based on some of the info that I've heard in the past.

9 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Aren't the cutoffs of this sort basically inaudible to humans?

I mean, Mike Matessino did correct them shortly after the flaw was discovered. So, even if it's inaudible, why not put these corrected tracks on the new pressings? That would require minimal expenditure.

I compared those tracks with the OST and I honestly couldn't tell the difference.
Is it because hearing loss in adult males usually cuts frequencies above 15khz?
I don't know.

God: "Here's a hearing problem you'll get when you're middle aged."
Me: "But why?"
God: "So you can enjoy the HP boxset no matter what"
Me: "Cool! What about the shawm cue though?"
God: "Gotta go now brb"

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

I mean, Mike Matessino did correct them shortly after the flaw was discovered. So, even if it's inaudible, why not put these corrected tracks on the new pressings? That would require minimal expenditure.

That would be kind of unfair for everyone who bought it from the first batch.

4 minutes ago, Chewy said:

That would be kind of unfair for everyone who bought it from the first batch.

Exactly, and they would risk getting hundreds of claims about replacements from the nerds who's already got the set.

On 10/13/2019 at 11:42 AM, bollemanneke said:

Just looked at the OST tracklist, you really might be right about the chamber theme not appearing anywhere else. Totally absurd.

Perhaps it was a case of the OST being assembled before all the music was in the can.

I saw the recording dates per cue for ANH, AOTC and ROTS, but I don't remember seeing one for the Potter movies.

I know that the first two were recorded between late August and early September (during the 9/11, JW was in London for the final recordings of PS) and PoA was recorded in March.

6 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

But it doesn't make sense at all, you can't make a decent assembly if you don't have all the pieces.

Sometimes it has to happen if the OST assembly is going to be finished and a product ready to buy to coincide with the film's release.

Particularly for scores that need a lot of editing and arranging to make a 'listening experience'.

it's not the first time Williams omits a theme from the OST

PoA OST has no Sirius Black and Peter Pettigrew theme

Dracula OST doesn't have the Van Helsing motif

RotS is missing the "troubled  anakin" motif