Harry Potter - The John Williams Soundtrack Collection 7CD boxset from La-La Land Records (2018)

Jay

26 minutes ago, Holko said:

Anyone with a "safe" EU address where LLL packages usually arrive quickly and without additional fees willing to get 2 of these and mail one to me? I'll pay up! :D 

Sorry what was your issue again? 

No fixed residence? Postal service in your county unreliable?

Ordered ET 35th anniversary edition directly from LLL, delivery to Europe with no problems. Hoping there will be no problems for this box set either!

Dracula from Varese, on the other hand, seems to be taking a while - already nearly 3 weeks in transit.

I never had any problems with LLL, either, except for the broken teeth and jewel cases in the early days... But they even fixed that, my JP set arrived in perfect condition! 👌 

7 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Sorry what was your issue again? 

No fixed residence? Postal service in your county unreliable?

I never ordered anything from outside the continent and I've heard too many horror stories about the handling taking 6 weeks, packages not being closed back up properly and such in addition to the fees. I don't trust our customs people and this is too big, important and expensive a release to start taking chances with it.

3 minutes ago, Holko said:

I never ordered anything from outside the continent and I've heard too many horror stories about the handling taking 6 weeks, packages not being closed back up properly and such in addition to the fees. I don't trust our customs people and this is too big, important and expensive a release to start taking chances with it.

Oh please! 

You live in Hungary, right? You know how many packages are sent to and from your country every single day, especially before Christmas? Probably tens of thousands, if not more.

3 minutes ago, Holko said:

Yes, which means I'd only get it in January anyway, might as well wait for the EU stores to get it and be safe :P 

As far as I know, no EU store will keep in on the shelves!

Only in Japan have I seen these brand-new specialty releases in actual stores, right around the time of their release....

5 minutes ago, Holko said:

Yes, which means I'd only get it in January anyway...

And if that's true, then it's probably true for all the people living in the EU! 😂 

I meant online stores like Music Box, Soundtrackcorner, maybe our local Facethemusic. Where the shipping is guaranteed to start from inside the EU.

I wonder what the additional music tracks that aren't listed as alternates and are not OST tracks are?

They're focused around the Patronus and Dementors which seem to have some pretty interesting orchestration (people seem unsure of what is music vs sound effects). Could these tracks be demo material?

On 11/23/2018 at 10:09 AM, bollemanneke said:

Where is Aunt Marge Points The Finger?

Was that the brief crescendo cue heard right before Aunt Marge’s Waltz in the movie? Is it possible that they could’ve merged it into the Waltz track? It’s a rather short cue to separate from other tracks.

Anyway, great questions and yes, this set appears to be perfect in every way possible. My alarm clock is altrady set to 9pm on november 27th, but I doubt I could forget about it 🌝

What do we know about the Remembering Mother alternate? I see a track in the score presentation called Remembering Mother and we have Window to the Past, which isn't on the cue list (might just be missing from the list).

Do we know for sure that Window to the Past isn't the alternate?

9 minutes ago, crumbs said:

First I've heard of it? I didn't even know there were two different trailer cues recorded/written by Williams!

Given Jay's assurances that everything from the OST has been retained on this release, I'm guessing a few OST versions have landed in the additional music section.

ADDITIONAL MUSIC

12. Lumos! (Hedwig’s Theme) 1:40     presumably just OST track 1, the film version must be a different take
13. Aunt Marge’s Waltz [Alternate] 2:34     no idea what this is, not in the cue list, different duration to OST track
14. The Knight Bus [Alternate] 3:58    again, likely OST track 3 which is different in sections (especially the accordion part)
15. Apparition on the Train 2:20    probably just OST track 4; maybe V1/V2 of Journey to Hogwarts is appended here?
16. More Grim and Boggarts 1:37    not sure what the Grim part is but Boggarts must be the alternate section of that cue from the OST (unlisted in the cue list).
17. Quidditch, Third Year 3:54    presumably just OST track 13
18. Window to the Past 3:58    presumably just OST track 7 but HOPEFULLY the Remembering Mother alternate
19. Saving Buckbeak [Alternate Segment] 4:24    original version of Bats plus some other alternative music from that cue
20. Lupin’s Transformation [Alternate] 2:05     I think there was an alternate of the Sirius/Harry talk partly included on the OST, so it's probably this track
21. Watching the Past [Alternate] 2:21    unknown; there's nothing in the cue list to indicate an alternate
22. The Dementors Circle 0:46   no idea, don't think this is covered anywhere on the OST?
23. The Patronus Light 1:16    presumably just OST track 15
24. The Patronus Power 0:47     no idea, don't think this is covered anywhere on the OST?
25. The Dementors Converge 3:15     presumably just OST track 19 but I don't know how this is different from the film version?
26. The Firebolt [Alternate] 1:30    the alternate finale we haven't heard yet
27. Teaser 1:27    speaks for itself, the teaser trailer music with Double Trouble
28. Trailer 1:52   unknown but seemingly wasn't used in marketing

The Big Doors (original version) must be More Grim. I can't see where else that cue fits?

Big Doors is when they lock down the castle after Sirius tries to break into the Gryffindor Common room 

3 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Big Doors is when they lock down the castle after Sirius tries to break into the Gryffindor Common room 

Yes, I know. The version with the film insert will be on disc one but I'm not sure where the original version (featured on the OST) goes.

Since we apparently really don't have anything to complain about but I have to live up to my title somehow... 24 and 24 pages probably aren't enough to contain tracklist breakdowns explaining what's what like in the good old days or with the E.T. set when they also have all kinds of quotes and production history, and speculation is already going on a day after the announcement. Feel free to correct me, @Jay!

I’m not aware of any recent MM produced sets with track-by-track explanations/breakdowns, and it’s really my only complaint about the wonderful releases we’ve been getting these past 5 or so years.  It would be especially appreciated if they would explain the alternates more thoroughly or at all.

21 minutes ago, redishere said:

Was that the brief crescendo cue heard right before Aunt Marge’s Waltz in the movie? Is it possible that they could’ve merged it into the Waltz track? It’s a rather short cue to separate from other tracks.

Anyway, great questions and yes, this set appears to be perfect in every way possible. My alarm clock is altrady set to 9pm on november 27th, but I doubt I could forget about it 🌝

No, it's a little 'magical' cue on celesta. You can hear it in one of the menus of the special edition of the DVD, I THINK during the introduction dialogue of the deleted scenes.

4 minutes ago, Holko said:

Since we apparently really don't have anything to complain about but I have to live up to my title somehow... 24 and 24 pages probably aren't enough to contain tracklist breakdowns explaining what's what like in the good old days or with the E.T. set when they also have all kinds of quotes and production history. Feel free to correct me, @Jay!

Well we get the booklets with the scores for each film plus the additional 44 page booklet in the box ;).

Honestly, I don't think we can find anything to complain about with this one. The wait for delivery is going to be the best kind of painful! :D

Edit: Just re-read your post and I think you meant 24 & 44 pages. I dunno, I feel like there probably is plenty of room for excellent notes on each score.

I forgot about the additional booklet! It even says it has generic music and tracklist info. I'm a stupid, I take the previous comment back.

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I’m not aware of any recent MM produced sets with track-by-track explanations/breakdowns, and it’s really my only complaint about the wonderful releases we’ve been getting these past 5 or so years.  It would be especially appreciated if they would explain the alternates more thoroughly or at all.

Last year's E.T., as I said, has track-by-track comments, but it doesn't go deeper into some alternates than "different phrasing and orchestration".

15 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Yes, I know. The version with the film insert will be on disc one but I'm not sure where the original version (featured on the OST) goes.

There is the OST version at the end of "The Portrait Gallery" and the film version "The Big Doors and...", so both are included in the main program back to back.

32 minutes ago, crumbs said:

20. Lupin’s Transformation [Alternate] 2:05     I think there was an alternate of the Sirius/Harry talk partly included on the OST, so it's probably this track

This is the OST version with the pizzicato strings going insane when the werewolf chases H&H, whereas the film version features ferocious percussion. The two versions are so different, they can't even be called alternates of each other!

3 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

There is the OST version at the end of "The Portrait Gallery" and the film version "The Big Doors and...", so both are included in the main program back to back.

Nailed it! You're spot on -- just compared track times of The Portrait Gallery on the OST & LLL and they're basically the same. So MM has cleverly included both the original and revised versions of that cue in the main program.

I wonder which track The Journey to Hogwarts appears in, and whether the alternate was ever recorded?

Just now, crumbs said:

Nailed it! You're spot on -- just compared track times of The Portrait Gallery on the OST & LLL and they're basically the same. So MM has cleverly included both the original and revised versions of that cue in the main program.

It would have been weird to insert The Big Doors into the end of The Portrait Gallery. That would have sounded like the weird transition in The Dream on Quartet's Total Recall set which I replaced by the original version on disc 2.

12 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

This is the OST version with the pizzicato strings going insane when the werewolf chases H&H, whereas the film version features ferocious percussion. The two versions are so different, they can't even be called alternates of each other!

Arent those strings simply from the `Chasing Scabbers` portion of the OST track?

Scuse me, I slowly find my voice again.

The composition " The Sorcerer's Stone" from the suite? Where it is?

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Suite for Orchestra) - Deluxe Score
I. Hedwig's Theme (5:10)
II. The Sorcerer's Stone (3:30)
III. Nimbus 2000 (2:25)
IV. Harry's Wondrous World (5:20).

2 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Scuse me, I dlowly refound my voice.

Not recorded during the London sessions, probably.

On the other hand, the Chasing Scabbers track on this CD is not long enough to include that bit.(and its been a while since I saw the movie)

But I cant imagine those strings were intended for such a tense scene like the wolf chase...

6 minutes ago, MedigoScan said:

On the other hand, the Chasing Scabbers track on this CD is not long enough to include that bit.(and its been a while since I saw the movie) 

But I cant imagine those strings were intended for such a tense scene like the wolf chase...

Huh? Aren't the pizzicato strings just the original Chasing Scabbers cue after Buckbeak's "execution" and before the Whomping Willow cue? I think the OST makes things confusing because Williams switched the cues into reverse order, and parts of Lupin's Transformation are an alternate (just to add to the confusion).

I similarly get confused by all the various cues in the last act of POA. Not only all the alternates but also the fact that so many events are portrayed and scored twice with different cues, it's hard to wrap your head around it.

43 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

No, it's a little 'magical' cue on celesta. You can hear it in one of the menus of the special edition of the DVD, I THINK during the introduction dialogue of the deleted scenes.

Thank you! Since Jay said everything you hear in the movie is in this set, I wonder where short cues like That’s a Lie were put! 

26 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I wonder which track The Journey to Hogwarts appears in, and whether the alternate was ever recorded?

Could it be stuck to the end of Discussing Black?

17 minutes ago, Bespin said:

II. The Sorcerer's Stone (3:30)

Judging by the title, that should be the Three Note Loop "concert piece", which has a session slate between Blue Forest and Hagrid Plays the Flute or Running to McGonnagall - here, it's D2/9 - The Stone (3:41). In the film, about a minute o it is used where Harry figures out Snape wants to give the Stone to Voldemort in the Common Room, I have no clue if it originally underscored some bigger vision scene.

I wonder why he put both original and film versions of Portrait Galelry in the main program.

The alternate Journey to Hogwarts was recorded, it's in a trailer!

The Sorcerer's Stone is on disc 2, The Stone aka Three Note Loop.

Maybe That's A Lie and Aunt Marge Points The Finger make up part of the alternate of the waltz.

6 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I don't want judgments, I want facts!

:pfft:

Well then link a video of a performance of that suite so I can see i that's the Three Note Loop cue I'm thinking of!

To reiterate so it won't get lost: what did that big buildup originally score? Was there a deleted flashback or vision? It's cut down in the film significantly, and it's practically a concert arrangement in full.

6 minutes ago, Holko said:

Could it be stuck to the end of Discussing Black?

Possibly! Monster Books with the silences edited out is about 0:30. Discussing Black in the film cut is about 1:00. Journey to Hogwarts is about 0:20.

So if Monster Book and Discussing Black is 2:00 then hopefully it's bundled at the end there.

19 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

The alternate Journey to Hogwarts was recorded, it's in a trailer!

Which trailer? This trailer appears to be Teaser (disc 2, track 27):

Not sure what Trailer (disc 2, track 28) is? Interestingly, the theatrical trailer appears to be the same duration as this track but only the last 40 seconds is Williams music -- and it just sounds like an excerpt from one of the first two scores.

13 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Huh? Aren't the pizzicato strings just the original Chasing Scabbers cue after Buckbeak's "execution" and before the Whomping Willow cue? I think the OST makes things confusing because Williams switched the cues into reverse order, and parts of Lupin's Transformation are an alternate (just to add to the confusion).

Might be worth trying to sync it up. I always thought it was “Chasing Scabbers” too but it would have had to be for a longer sequence that got cut way down. As is may more accurately match them running from the werewolf.

Never thought about it. Strange to think they might have considered that little scherzo instead, making their scrambling slightly more comic. Like Indy running from the villagers. It is sort of a funny beat with Hermione inadvertently calling it over but probably a better call to just keep the intensity up.