Harry Potter - The John Williams Soundtrack Collection 7CD boxset from La-La Land Records (2018)

Jay

Maybe Disney will be up their neck with their new streaming service, which is due in 2019, and say "Ahh, we don't have time for these old scores. Let's LLL take care of them and see the big $$$ from those fans at that forum".

1 hour ago, Lockdown said:

I do not detect any sign of the Bats Extension film version which was completely different than what we heard on the OST..

My guess is the film insert of Bats finishes the track Time Past / Saving Buckbeak (9:57) in the chronological film presentation, while the original version can be found at the end of Saving Buckbeak [Alternate Segment] (4:24) in the additional music section. Same track name as the OST too.

7 hours ago, Iron_Giant said:

I'm genuinely going to panic a little. Maybe more than a little. Like King Mark said, we need to worry about the general Potter fans out there (or the people they know looking for Xmas gifts for them) catching wind of this boxset. Social media could easily make this known worldwide to people who would otherwise pay zero attention to film scores if this goes viral. And if the tech/pop culture/movie sites cover it in the next few days, it really might be game over before we know it. So yes, I will panic some.

This set is 5,000 copies, and $100 USD apiece!

I doubt it'll sell out as fast as they can ship it. It'll take maybe half a year to a year? Faster than JP or AI, no doubt, but let's not go overboard. I mean, 5,000 is a LOT! 

Unless, of course, and there's always this possibility, JK Rowling gets wind of this set and announces it on her twitter feed and encourages her legions of fans to order it asap! Then it's gone before they're finished pressing all 5,000 copies. 😂 

PS. I think we're safe from the Muggles, at least so far. They're busy creating stupid (but somewhat bizarrely fascinating) videos like this...

Can't wait for this! Random preference question: when importing a collection like this (or THE JOHN WILLIAMS JURASSIC PARK COLLECTION) into iTunes/an equivalent digital music library, do you guys treat it as one album with the overall cover art for all tracks, or do you split it up by scores so that each score is its own individual album with its own art? Was just curious how other users here handle a release such as this one, especially since each soundtrack does have its own art (and in high quality too!), if one did want to treat it as a series of separate releases. I'm a bit torn as to what I'd do.

Okay, I have completely missed out on this discussion.

Two reasons: #1, John's Harry Potter scores never really struck a chord with me.

#2, Money is not something I have.  So these limited release situations are rather painful.  

35 minutes ago, Locrius said:

Can't wait for this! Random preference question: when importing a collection like this (or JURASSIC PARK: THE JOHN WILLIAMS COLLECTION) into iTunes/an equivalent digital music library, do you guys treat it as one album with the overall cover art for all tracks, or do you split it up by scores so that each score is its own individual album with its own art? Was just curious how other users here handle a release such as this one, especially since each soundtrack does have its own art (and in high quality too!), if one did want to treat it as a series of separate releases. I'm a bit torn as to what I'd do.

I personally copy it all as one album.  Jurassic Park collection is that way, Danny Elfman Batman collection is that way, and the 17 disc Elfman/Burton Box is that way too 

26 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I just look at the track titles and know what it’s from, except for Main Titles, Final Confrontation, and End Credits

What a chaotic world you must live in

2 minutes ago, Matt C said:

Great news, but the only expanded set I want is PoA.

Any chance LLL might do a separate release in the future?

So you're not buying this?

3 minutes ago, Matt C said:

I'm looking at a way to justify it as I did with the Concord IJ set.

You said yourself you want PoA. That's your justification for buying this set! 

Pretty sure individual releases will not happen in the near future, and maybe never. In fact, we may never see another JW HP release, since this one is complete.

57 minutes ago, Matt C said:

The IJ set was cheaper than the $100 LLL wants for the expanded HP films.

The IJ set had 2 fewer discs...

1 hour ago, Matt C said:

Any chance LLL might do a separate release in the future?

Any chance? Sure. But it's not super likely and it would be a few years from now at least.

2 hours ago, Muldoon said:

I almost always break collections up by film and usually use custom covers.

I always break up these sets by film and use each individual film's cover art (so LLL's TLW cover rather than the JP box set cover). Very rarely will I replace the official album cover.

I'm curious about why SS PS uses new art but COS and POA retain the OST covers (with added borders). Maybe some unused art they found in the archives? Or Struzan's portrait-shaped poster looked funny with a border? 

Ultimately what matters is the music and there's no reason to think MM hasn't hit this one out of the park (especially with Jay's reassurances). 

The sessions are really interesting but volume is quite low so I have trouble hearing what the heck’s happening unless i turn the volume in my car to the max, so I’m more than happy to give LLL my money for this monster set.

I was wondering, anyone digging these edits/remasters? Some tracks may be merged together clumslily, but I find them rather enjoyable to listen to— while waiting to pop my wallet open on november 27th. 

5CA74686-247B-4911-A201-48638CFE49C9.jpeg

B27F9E0B-9EDC-4E80-85BD-178433CF22A3.jpeg

7 hours ago, Josh500 said:

This set is 5,000 copies, and $100 USD apiece!

I doubt it'll sell out as fast as they can ship it. It'll take maybe half a year to a year? Faster than JP or AI, no doubt, but let's not go overboard. I mean, 5,000 is a LOT! 

Unless, of course, and there's always this possibility, JK Rowling gets wind of this set and announces it on her twitter feed and encourages her legions of fans to order it asap! Then it's gone before they're finished pressing all 5,000 copies. 😂 

Um, yeah, that was the point I was making.

Anyone with a "safe" EU address where LLL packages usually arrive quickly and without additional fees willing to get 2 of these and mail one to me? I'll pay up! :D 

1 minute ago, Holko said:

Anyone with a "safe" EU address where LLL packages usually arrive quickly and without additional fees willing to get 2 of these and mail one to me? I'll pay up! :D 

I fear no EU address is "safe" anymore, from that point of view...

1 hour ago, artguy360 said:

Aside from the original teaser trailer for HP1, I didn't realize there was anything unique about the music for other trailers. Did JW write more original music for those?

If so, it must be unused and unreleased so far! 

But it's good that we're in for a few surprises. I don't want everything to be crystal clear. Makes you anticipate this set even more, if that's possible!

5 hours ago, Matt C said:

I'm looking at a way to justify it as I did with the Concord IJ set.

Why would you buy a set that has pitch issues, is unchronological and incomplete to boot? How did you justify that purchase? This is a beautiful presentation, one that will never be improved.