The Harry Potter John Williams Collection!

Josh500

Poll: The Harry Potter John Williams Collection!   

69 members have voted

1. 1. Will you buy this set?

2. 2. WHEN will you order this set?

• On November 27th (the first day available).
    • Within the first week.
    • Within the first month.
    • Sometime next year.
    • I already said above that I (probably) won't buy this set.
  3. 3. Do you think this set's retail price of $99.98 USD is TOO expensive?

• Yes, it's too expensive. It's 7 CDs and 8 hours of music, but it's still high priced. It should have been cheaper!
    • No, the price is very reasonable for what the set offers and the work that went into creating it. I don't complain.

Buying it immediately. Is it more expensive than it could be? Yes. It's actually at the exact upper limit of what I consider a reasonable price for 3 scores.

This seems pretty clear.... Most people will get this, and on the first day too!

But it's interesting to see who (probably) doesn't get this, for whatever reason.

I'm contemplating ordering 4 sets, and giving three away to good friends as Christmas presents. But dunno if they'd really appreciate this. I already gave them A.I. and the JP Collection! 😂 

Yes, immediately, and no.

If you accept $19.99 as acceptable for a single disc release, $29.99 or more as acceptable for a 2 disc release, etc - which is the going price for most limited edition expansions - then this is a good price.

22 hours ago, Taikomochi said:

It’s really obnoxious when a “yes or no” poll question puts so many words in your mouth.

Why do you consider "No, and also I smell like a used diaper" a biased choice?

11 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Even when you consider non-specialty label releases, most CD releases are 12 or 13 dollars now.  Which makes 8 CDs for $100 perfectly reasonable.

Amen to that! 

I consider it a bargain! Seriously. It's 8 hours of high quality music! 8 freaking hours!!! 😍 

The set is not expensive, it's the shipping costs that really make it high. They should make a fixed shipping cost + one cost for single cd set, other for 2cd sets and other for box (regardless of number of CDs.)

2 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

The set is not expensive, it's the shipping costs that really make it high. They should make a fixed shipping cost + one cost for single cd set, other for 2cd sets and other for box (regardless of number of CDs.)

How much is the shipping cost of this set to the EU? I have no idea.

20 Euros? 30? 

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

This is true.  Being American, I only pay $8 for shipping from LLL, but I know it's a real burden for international purchases.

To balance it off, we have a much better health insurance and coverage over here! 😂 :P

You do understand that for the people who have employer sponsored health insurance, American healthcare is perfectly fine, right?  It's the number of people who don't have it or can't afford it that's the issue, not the quality of the care itself.

6 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

You do understand that for the people who have employer sponsored health insurance, American healthcare is perfectly fine, right?  It's the number of people who don't have it or can't afford it that's the issue, not the quality of the care itself.

I didn't say it's 100% garbage. Sure it works.

But ours is just better... unless you're a millionaire, I guess. In fact, among first world nations (that's the entire continent of Europe including Russia, Australia, Canada, Japan), the US probably has the worst system of all! Fact.

32 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

How much is the shipping cost of this set to the EU? I have no idea.

20 Euros? 30? 

For LLL international shipping $14.00 for the first CD and $2.75 for each additional CD. – (don’t forget to add $2.75 for each disc in multiple CD sets)

So the Potter box costs 30,5 $ alone to ship but if you add e.g. Schindler's List to that it is 36 $ for shipping alone so the total for these two sets would be 165,96 $ which is 146,02 € at the current rate.

But that $ 14 for a single CD is ridiculously expensive and it seems to be the norm for most specialty labels. You essentially pay half again the price of a disc when you order just one disc like with Varese's The Cowboys or Stanley & Iris.

1 minute ago, Incanus said:

For LLL $14.00 for the first CD and $2.75 for each additional CD. – (don’t forget to add $2.75 for each disc in multiple CD sets)

So the Potter box costs 30,5 $ alone to ship but if you add e.g. Schindler's List to that it is 36 $ for shipping alone so the total for these two sets would be 165,96 $ which is 146,02 € at the current rate.

Thanks! 

It's $100 USD, but for some reason I keep thinking that it's 100 Euros! But at the current exchange rate it's "just" 88 Euros.

146 Euros for HP and SL is perfectly fine! 

2 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Thanks! 

It's $100 USD, but for some reason I keep thinking that it's 100 Euros! But at the current exchange rate it's "just" 88 Euros.

146 Euros for HP and SL is perfectly fine! 

Yeah it is certainly still in the limits of reason even if the postage is so expensive. More often than not LLL's packages arrive pretty quickly. My current record is 3 days to Finland, which is lightning fast.

I think this is the most anticipated because of the whispers it was coming, followed by the concert note.  The way LLL threw down Jurassic and Lost World didn't give us the chance to anticipate!  I know for me, I would have desired Lost World more than Azkaban purely because of all the stuff we never heard.  

8 minutes ago, Demondm810 said:

I think this is the most anticipated because of the whispers it was coming, followed by the concert note.  The way LLL threw down Jurassic and Lost World didn't give us the chance to anticipate!  I know for me, I would have desired Lost World more than Azkaban purely because of all the stuff we never heard.  

I didn't dare to get my hopes too up for the HP set even though we had some hints that it was coming because I didn't want to be too badly disappointed if it wasn't coming out this Black Friday. When it was announced it was just heaven. :) 

JP set was different because we didn't have any warning so it was both a huge surprise but also something many of us had dreamed of for years and still among my most prized score releases ever.

LLL is hitting these things out of the park with their relationship with the certain studios and with Mike Matessino doing this stuff right both for us the fans and the composer.

4 minutes ago, Demondm810 said:

I think this is the most anticipated because of the whispers it was coming, followed by the concert note.  The way LLL threw down Jurassic and Lost World didn't give us the chance to anticipate!  

That's true...

Besides, since it was said (loud and clear!) that this year will be "one for the books," the forum has been rife with speculation and anticipation as to what else we might get. 

Some of us has been giving up hope after Dracula, I think... And lo and behold, now we're getting the Complete HARRY POTTER Collection! :)

Anybody else think the anticipation is actually the best part about all this? 😂 

1 minute ago, Incanus said:

It is a vital part of this. I love it how grown people are really giddy like school children about such things as new CDs of John Williams' music. 

Indeed! 

I very rarely feel that way about any physical product anymore. Not even when a much anticipated movie comes out, or a book or video game gets released. At least not to this mind-blowing level.

Just now, Josh500 said:

Indeed! 

I very rarely feel that way about any physical product anymore. Not even when a much anticipated movie comes out, or a book or video game gets released. At least not to this mind-blowing level.

Agreed. I guess it is part of growing older that most of these things become pretty blasé but there is something especially in Williams' music that excites me time and time again like nothing else in the world of music and entertainment.

Yes I will buy it tomorrow after 2pm CST. 

Yes its overpriced. Just because more say not is meaningless. At one time a majority would say civil rights are unnecessary. They were wrong too.

69.99. As I have pointed out there physical costs of the sets is likely less than 12 bucks.

I'm waiting on LLL's answer on whether they'd ship it with DHL if I asked in the order comments to decide when and how I'll get it. If not, it's waiting for MusicBox to drop their price.

1 minute ago, Holko said:

Less than 125+17 goddamn Euros! THAT's overpriced!

Hmmm, that's 142 Euros.

But come on! It's the Complete HARRY POTTER JOHN WILLIAMS Collection! It's a once in a lifetime opportunity (probably)!

If I were you, instead of stressing about money regarding this set, I'd just economise on other stuff for that month. Like eat out less, drink less (if you're a drinker), smoke less (if you're a smoker), party less (if you're a partier--if partier is even a word)! 😄 But you know what I mean! 

It's just 142 Euros, and not 1,420 or 14,200 Euros! :P

I don't eat out much, only drink what's at home, don't smoke, don't party :P

About 110€ is the most I'd be comfortable to pay for one thing, maybe 120 if we're pushing it. 

If I pass my BSc final exam on Dec. 12, I'll probably order it for however much it costs from the joy rush though.

The Blue Box was 8 discs and cost $120.

This seven disc box, with 10 years inflation, is still $20 cheaper. And all of the scores are winners!

You can assign a personal value to this music of $70 for whatever reason, but $100 is just what it costs to produce and sell the set and keep a business running

Shipping prices suck, but my guess is that you have the various post services or Amazon to blame for that.

I have to order through a local 3rd party importer, so although I'll be requesting the quotation on release day it'll only get done the next day (time difference), but I do hope to have my order confirmed within 24 hours.

In short, any limited edition release these days is extremely costly in my territory, but that's down to a terrible exchange rate and high shipping charges. As an example, a release that sells for $19.95 will typically cost me in the region of $40 to $45 all inclusive. I've just had to make peace with it.

On 25. November 2018 at 1:42 PM, Josh500 said:

Could this actually be the most anticipated (expanded) JW set ever? 

It certainly seems so. Close seconds are the Jurassic Park Collection, the Indiana Jones Concorde box set, Hook, and A.I.

Nah.

HP 1 and 2 have leaks.

Star Wars prequels remain #1.

Not for me, but realistically, they do.

13 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

Yes its overpriced. Just because more say not is meaningless. At one time a majority would say civil rights are unnecessary. They were wrong too.

My lawyer will be in contact with you regarding the eye-roll injury I just sustained.

On 11/25/2018 at 6:42 AM, Josh500 said:

Could this actually be the most anticipated (expanded) JW set ever? 

It certainly seems so. Close seconds are the Jurassic Park Collection, the Indiana Jones Concorde box set, Hook, and A.I.

It's definitely one of the "big 4", the others being Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and Jurassic Park. I think I personally would say this is the most anticipated set thus far... I feel Indiana Jones would pretty much be equal, and Star Wars would be at the very top. It's certainly my most anticipated boxset.

2 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

It's definitely one of the "big 4", the others being Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and Jurassic Park. I think I personally would say this is the most anticipated set thus far... I feel Indiana Jones would pretty much be equal, and Star Wars would be at the very top. It's certainly my most anticipated boxset.

I think for me, honestly, these 4 sets would occupy my Number One spot. There's no winner here. These 4 are all number one! (The latter two have yet to be announced!)

- The John Williams Jurassic Park Collection 

- The John Williams Harry Potter Collection 

- The Indiana Jones Soundtrack Collection 

- The Star Wars Prequels Soundtrack Collection 

Hell yeah. Next year. No.

"next year" because of 1. exchange rate (our low dollar has been starting to creep up ever so slowly) and if 2. LLL announces another Williams early next year ( e.g Towering inferno, JFK, Superman) I can save on shipping and get a bundle.

Of course, that will change if a low-stock announcement on HP is made before then.