Harry Potter Disentchantment

bollemanneke

3 hours ago, Once said:

That wasn't a tweet. During the book tour for Deathly Hallows she was asked by an audience member if Dumbledore found "true love".

Her answer was that Dumbledore is gay and was in love with Grindelwald. He was blinded by love and was horribly let down by it. His love Grindelwald was his 'great tragedy'.

The audience gasped, then applauded, to which she said something like "I would have told you earlier if I knew it would make you so happy."

Steve Kloves later revealed that he had written a scene for the script of Half-Blood Prince in which Dumbledore reminisce about a girl. Her only note to the scene was 'Dumbledore is gay'.

While it may not be explicit in the books, I definitely think it's hinted at in the last book when we learn about Dumbledore's back story.

Gay!

Lord of the Rings is for nerds,

Star Wars is for freaks,

Harry Potter is for virgins,

only Indiana Jones is for the cool kids.

The one thing that always confused me about Harry Potter was were all the sex had gone...

I mean, the students are far away from their parents,

they may feel lonely - guess what that means,

Hogwarts is a really big place which has many broom closets and a forbidden forest that nobody usually enters,

the threat proceeding from Voldemort should make the girls seek a shelter - guess what that means,

the many towers of the castle tendentially drive your fantasy.

In reality, Hogwarts would be a pleasure palace.

21 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

The one thing that always confused me about Harry Potter was were all the sex had gone...

Hogwarts is a really big place which has many broom closets and a forbidden forest that nobody usually enters,

the threat proceeding from Voldemort should make the girls seek a shelter - guess what that means,

Hehe, we just spent a day on the discord exploring this topic. This is the best we could find, a lot of references to it in the books collected:

https://www.reddit.com/r/harrypotter/comments/1rufvc/sex_at_hogwarts/

Look carefully at the Marauder's Map in the HP3 credits and watch the deleted scenes of Goblet of Fire.

6 minutes ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

What is it about HP that makes perverts want to sexualize it?

Have you ever made a comment on this forum that contributes anything to anything? And you criticize my comment that is very obviously not completely serious?

1 minute ago, Holko said:

Look carefully at the Marauder's Map in the HP3 credits and watch the deleted scenes of Goblet of Fire.

I know, that Marauder's Map thing is really funny.

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

Lord of the Rings is for nerds,

Star Wars is for freaks,

Harry Potter is for virgins,

only Indiana Jones is for the cool kids.

As Rowling told the New Yorker; “The thing about fantasy — there are certain things you just don’t do in fantasy. You don’t have sex near unicorns. It’s an ironclad rule. It’s tacky.”

1 minute ago, Once said:

As Rowling told the New Yorker; “The thing about fantasy — there are certain things you just don’t do in fantasy. You don’t have sex near unicorns. It’s an ironclad rule. It’s tacky.”

I disagree. It would ground the fantasy.

38 minutes ago, Once said:

Further proof why women don't understand men.

Harry only wanted to disarm him! Voldy killed himself  with the reflected curse because the Elder Wand refused to murder his current owner in the hands of someone who didn't acquire it properly.

22 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

(I just cannot believe that Rowling approved an end for Voldemort that 100% goes against the central theme of the ENTIRE EFFING SERIES)

I also don't remember a reference to how Harry sacrifiing himself meant literally everyone in the castle was now protected from Voldemort, like his mother's sacrifice originally protected him. Not even Voldy's Silencio worked on the crowd!

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

(I just cannot believe that Rowling approved an end for Voldemort that 100% goes against the central theme of the ENTIRE EFFING SERIES)

Rowling didn’t actually have much influence on the film adaptations. The script writers, producers and directors were very kind and interested to have her involved in the process, but all she really did was to let them know if anything contradicted her future plot lines. Overall she had a very hands-off approach to the films, only really getting involved when asked.

Merchandise, on the other hand, is something she had (and still has) a lot of control over.

@Brundlefly Maybe because not everything needs to be sexualized. There's a time, a place and a context for that. Most other forms of entertainment and media are dominated by sexualization, and with Potter you have to ask whether it would benefit the story for it to be included. What's important in Rowling's work is actually the theme of love, unconditional, pure love and the stories were told without a single hint at sexualization. 

• 2 months later...
26 minutes ago, Holko said:

The fuck is wrong with that woman

Yeah, because we totally need that information. I just can't watch the movies without thinking about the history of their bathroom situation.

You may ask "hey, what about the Chamber of Secrets, built into the plumbing below a bathroom in around 1000 AD? She's got you covered with the Retcon Hat: the new plumbing nearly uncovered the Chamber, and it was an Heir that built it into the bathroom, but he didn't kill muggleborns for... reasons.

@Jay, Rowling retconning yet another thing about the world itself separately from the film/score universe belonged better in the HP Disenchantment thread, I think.

The Harry Potter Disenchantment Thread? A knock-off of the SW thread?

This proves that even when it comes to disenchantment, Star Wars still wins (in terms of amount of disenchantment).

• 4 years later...

I don't know if this is the right place, but I have read "Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality" over the past few months and can really recommend it to everybody who is disenchanted OR enchanted by the Harry Potter world. It is a masterwork of mixing fan fiction, homage, commentary, satire and much more into a precise discourse of scientific methods, written by a professor of AI research. It is quite long, be warned, but rewarding. A free pdf version can be found here: https://hpmor.com

• 3 months later...