Michael Kamen's DIE HARD - 30th Anniversary 3CD Edition from La-La Land Records

crocodile

DIE HARD: 30th ANNIVERSARY 
REMASTERED LIMITED EDITION (3-CD SET)

LLLCD 1473
Music by Michael Kamen
Limited Edition of 5000 Units                                                                                             
RETAIL PRICE: $34.98

STARTS SHIPPING OCT 20

Die-Hard-30th-iTune-square-600px-web.jpgLa-La Land Records, Twentieth Century Fox and FOX Music proudly commemorate the 30th Anniversary of the immortal 1988 action blockbuster DIE HARD with DIE HARD: 30TH ANNIVERSARY REMASTERED EDITION, a 3-CD remixed, remastered and expanded soundtrack re-issue of legendary composer Michael Kamen’s (LETHAL WEAPON 1-4, THE LAST BOY SCOUT, LICENCE  TO KILL) original motion picture score to the landmark film starring Bruce Willis, Alan Rickman and Bonnie Bedelia, and directed by John McTiernan. Finally, Kamen’s action masterpiece is given the deluxe presentation worthy of its legacy – a 3-CD assembly sourced from recently rediscovered original digital multi-track tapes. Discs 1 and 2 feature the score as recorded by Kamen, along with a variety of alternate takes, source cues and more. Disc 3 features additional bonus material, consisting of film version mixes and even more alternates. Listeners will delight in the sonic improvements over previous releases, as well as the premiere of never-before-released music, including cues not used in the film! The DIE HARD experience is rounded out with source cues and bonus tracks such as Vaughn Monroe’s “Let It Snow”, Run DMC’s “Christmas in Hollis,” John Scott’s “We’ve Got Each Other,” an excerpt from James Horner’s “Resolution and Hyperspace, ” and more!  Produced for 20th Century Fox by Nick Redman, produced for La-La Land Records by Neil S. Bulk and Mike Matessino, edited by Bulk, remixed by Matessino, and mastered by Daniel Hersch, this special release, produced in cooperation with the Michael Kamen Estate, features exclusive, updated liner notes by film historian Eric Lichtenfeld and track-by-track analysis by film music writer Jeff Bond – all of it wrapped up in knockout style with new art design by Jim Titus.  This is a limited edition re-issue of 5000 units.  Welcome to the party, pal!

A portion of the proceeds from the sale of this item will be donated to The Mr. Holland’s Opus Foundation. 

TRACK LISTING:

Disc 1: The Film Score

1. Main Title  :43
  2. Seeing Holly  1:07
  3. Terrorist Entrance  4:06
  4. The Phone Goes Dead / Party Crashers  1:53
  5. John’s Escape / You Want Money  6:01
  6. The Nakatomi Plaza (Takagi’s Death)  1:45
  7. Wiring The Roof  1:51
  8. Approaching The Vault*  :48
  9. Fire Alarm  2:04
  10. Tony Approaches  1:42
  11. Tony And John Fight  1:13
  12. Santa  :57
  13. He Won’t Be Joining Us  3:02
  14. And If He Alters It  2:40
  15. Going After John  4:32
  16. Have A Few Laughs / Al Powell Approaches  3:32
  17. Under The Table  1:59
  18. Welcome To The Party  1:10
  19. Yippee Ki-Yay**  :45
  20. Holly Meets Hans  1:20
  21. Assault On The Tower  8:34
  22. John Is Found Out  5:04
  23. Attention Police  3:54
  24. Bill Clay  4:09
  25. Shoot The Glass**  2:20
  26. I Had An Accident (Extended Version)**  2:56

Total Disc 1 Time:  70:08

Disc 2: The Film Score (Continued)

1. The Vault (Film Edit)  3:07
  2. Message For Holly (Film Edit)**  3:13
  3. Gun In Cheek (Extended Version)**  1:20
  4. The Battle / Freeing The Hostages  6:53
  5. The Fire Hose**  1:24
  6. Helicopter Explosion And Showdown  4:02
  7. Happy Trails, Hans*  1:42
  8. Aftermath – Powell’s Comeback*  2:52
  9. Let It Snow  1:44

Performed by Vaughn Monroe
Written by Sammy Cahn and Jule Styne
Published by WB Music Corp. OBO Cahn Music Company (ASCAP)
Chappell & Co., OBO Producers Music Publishing Co. (ASCAP)
Courtesy of Geffen Records under license from Universal Music Enterprises

1. Beethoven’s 9th (End Credit Excerpt)  3:53

Written by Ludwig van Beethoven; Courtesy of APM Music
Total Score Time:  100:18

Additional Music

1. Main Title (Alternate)*  :40
  2. The Nakatomi Plaza (Takagi’s Death) (Alternate)*  1:47
  3. Approaching The Vault (Alternates)*  2:33
  4. Tony Approaches (Alternate)*  1:43
  5. Yippee Ki-Yay (Extended Version)  2:48
  6. Assault On The Tower (Alternate Excerpts)*  3:44
  7. Attention Police (Pick Up Opening)*  2:04
  8. The Vault (Alternate)*  2:52
  9. The Vault (Alternate Performance)  2:11
  10. Message For Holly (Original Version)**  2:52
  11. Message For Holly (Revised Version)**  2:58
  12. Happy Trails (Tracked Film Edit)  1:13
  13. We’ve Got Each Other  1:56

From the movie Man On Fire
Composed by John Patrick Scott (PRS)
Published by T C F Music Publishing, Inc. o/b/o New Regency Music (ASCAP)

1. Resolution and Hyperspace (Excerpt) 2:47

From the movie Aliens
Composed by James Horner (ASCAP); WB Music Corp; Rewind Music Inc.

1. Wild Percussion*  2:16
  2. Roy Rogers Meets Beethoven’s 9th (Source)  1:33
  3. Winter Wonderland (Source)  1:26

Written by Felix Bernard and Dick Smith

1. Let It Snow (Source)  1:58

Performed by Michael Kamen; Written by Sammy Cahn and Jule Styne
Published by WB Music Corp. OBO Cahn Music Company (ASCAP)
Chappell & Co., OBO Producers Music Publishing Co. (ASCAP)

1. Christmas In Hollis  2:58

Performed by RUN-DMC, Courtesy of Arista Records
Written by Joseph Simmons, Darryl McDaniels, Jason Mizell
Published by WB Music Corp. (ASCAP)
1987 Arista Records LLC by arrangement with Sony Music Licensing 
Total Additional Music:  42:19
Total Disc 2 Time:  72:38

Disc 3: The Vault: Bonus Music from Die Hard

1. Main Title (Film Edit)  :36
  2. Seeing Holly (Film Mix)  1:05
  3. The Phone Goes Dead / Party Crashers (Extended Opening)**  2:22
  4. The Nakatomi Plaza (Takagi’s Death) (Orchestra Only)  1:47
  5. Wiring The Roof (Film Mix Excerpt)  :58
  6. Tony Approaches (Film Mix)  1:44
  7. Going After John (Film Mix)  4:33
  8. Al Powell Approaches (Film Mix)  2:32
  9. Al Powell Approaches (Alternate)*  2:37
  10. Under The Table (His Bag Is Missing) (Film Edit)  1:25
  11. John Is Found Out (Film Mix)  5:54
  12. Bill Clay Pt. 1 (Film Mix)  2:08
  13. Bill Clay Pt. 2 (Extended)**  2:08
  14. Shooting The Glass  1:08
  15. Message For Holly (Original Version) (Orchestra Only)**  2:53
  16. The Battle (Alternate Excerpt)**  1:19
  17. Wild Take*  1:29
  18. Roy Rogers Meets Beethoven’s Ninth (Alternate)*  1:36
  19. Hip Hop Christmas (Source)*  1:44

Vocal by Michael Kamen
Total Disc 3 Time: 39:58
Total Three Disc Time: 182:44
* Previously Unreleased
** Contains Previously Unreleased Material

Oh wow, talk about comprehensive.😮

Karol

4 minutes ago, Richard said:

Jerry, one can never have too much music.

I couldn't imagine sitting there listening to three whole friggin discs of Die Hard music!

I just hear Ode to Joy and call it the Die Hard theme and I'm done.

Surely this alone is worth the price. 😛

Hip Hop Christmas (Source)*  1:44 Vocal by Michael Kamen

Karol - looking forward to hearing the original unused finale

43 minutes ago, Norma's Corpse said:

I couldn't imagine sitting there listening to three whole friggin discs of Die Hard music!

I just hear Ode to Joy and call it the Die Hard theme and I'm done.

How simple, the subduers.

When you place an order on their site, it asks if you'd like to receive their newsletters.

If you register an account on their new site, it probably will give you the same option

EDIT: There's also a box at the bottom of their homepage:

Get the latest updates on new products and upcoming sales

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

When you place an order on their site, it asks if you'd like to receive their newsletters.

If you register an account on their new site, it probably will give you the same option

EDIT: There's also a box at the bottom of their homepage:

Get the latest updates on new products and upcoming sales

Thank you for this, but I already tried all of that. That's the problem, I'm subscribed but don't receive anything at all, not in junk mail either.

Sound clips:

https://johndadlez.com/MP3/DieHard30thAnniversaryRemasteredEdition/1_11_TAJF.mp3

https://johndadlez.com/MP3/DieHard30thAnniversaryRemasteredEdition/1_21_AOTT.mp3

Whoa!

EDIT: For some reason LLL website won't let you order. But it seems other people have the same problem.

Karol

Wow those samples sound awesome!

Interesting to hear the original "Shoot The Glass".  It's nice to hear "Fire Hose" in stereo too!  I'm glad they found the original master tapes.

Wow, what an avant-garde intro to "The Fire Hose"! And very cool to hear a motif, at the beginning of "Shoot The Glass", that was reused in Die Hard 2 and With A Vengeance. Too bad most of the samples are for cues that we're already familiar with :lol:

39 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Now the previous release sounds like a footwarmer!

Karol

Strangely enough I agree.

23 minutes ago, Corellian2019 said:

Wow, what an avant-garde intro to "The Fire Hose"! And very cool to hear a motif, at the beginning of "Shoot The Glass", that was reused in Die Hard 2 and With A Vengeance. Too bad most of the samples are for cues that we're already familiar with :lol:

I was thinking the same thing with the samples.

I just created an account at La-La Land and have already filled my shopping card with three items:

Dennis the Menace

Home Alone

Saving Private Ryan

Hopefully in ten days I am able to add 2 or 3 items, so that the shipping costs are worth it.

57 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Joking aside, that's an excellent recording!

I know, it's my favourite of that symphony. Szell/Cleveland is an awesome combo! And those soloists!

3 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Which one? 😝

The LLL 2 CD set, first pressing. :) I bought it from Trent!

10 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

I just created an account at La-La Land and have already filled my shopping card with three items:

Dennis the Menace

Home Alone

Saving Private Ryan

Hopefully in ten days I am able to add 2 or 3 items, so that the shipping costs are worth it.

Speaking of shipping costs, yesterday I read that MV had posted on FSM that we need to order Black Friday titles directly from them if we want to get them before Christmas. He says he won't be offering them to other retailers before knowing how many direct orders they get before January and that they won't even have the titles in stock on Tuesday, that they want to see how much we order first. Is that normal?

Are those temp track inclusions particularly prominent? (I saw the film once ages ago and don't remember much of it)

It seems to be against the current trend of only including the composr's original intention.

Not complaining for a moment - I love the idea. But why on this specific release and not on others?

Had to justify the 3 discs and price somehow, I guess. As I look at the tracklist, a perfectly adequate score+select alternates presentation with no source or tracked music easily could've fit on 2 discs, but maybe they wanted to go ultra-definitive so they'll never have to reach back to this score again.

16 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Are those temp track inclusions particularly prominent? (I saw the film once ages ago and don't remember much of it)

It seems to be against the current trend of only including the composr's original intention.

Not complaining for a moment - I love the idea. But why on this specific release and not on others?

Yeah they are front and center. In fact they stand out more because these two segments sound nothing like Kamen. Plus one of them was already on the previous set.

Karol

8 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Speaking of shipping costs, yesterday I read that MV had posted on FSM that we need to order Black Friday titles directly from them if we want to get them before Christmas. He says he won't be offering them to other retailers before knowing how many direct orders they get before January and that they won't even have the titles in stock on Tuesday, that they want to see how much we order first. Is that normal?

I don't think it is.  It's possible these are going to be hot items and not sure how many to have on hand directly in time before Christmas.

11 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Why is there so much music that has nothing to do with Die Hard on the second disc?

Because they anticipated that people would complain about tracks from previous releases not being included this time around. Damned if they do, damned if they don't

33 minutes ago, Corellian2019 said:

Because they anticipated that people would complain about tracks from previous releases not being included this time around. Damned if they do, damned if they don't

Sad but true.

I saved a lot of money lately, so no matter how many Williams or Goldsmith titles will be in the batch, I'll order them all!

The only thing that bothers me is Varese's Dracula. No chance to get it for less than around 60$.

5 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Why do they make more money by sellling from their own website? Don't shops like Music Box Records have to pay the same price as direct customers?

No, they pay discounted wholesale prices so that they can sell the CDs for the same price as the LLL store (a 19.99 LLL CD is $19.99 at LLL's store and at Screen Archives).

So if LLL sells that $20 direct to consumer, all the profit goes to them.  If they sell to a wholesaler, they probably get $12-15, and then the other $5-8 goes to the reseller.

Varese is the only record company that doesn't offer wholesale prices - which is why Dracula is $29.95 at Varese's store, but $34.95 at Screen Archives.

5 hours ago, mstrox said:

No, they pay discounted wholesale prices so that they can sell the CDs for the same price as the LLL store (a 19.99 LLL CD is $19.99 at LLL's store and at Screen Archives).

So if LLL sells that $20 direct to consumer, all the profit goes to them.  If they sell to a wholesaler, they probably get $12-15, and then the other $5-8 goes to the reseller.

Varese is the only record company that doesn't offer wholesale prices - which is why Dracula is $29.95 at Varese's store, but $34.95 at Screen Archives.

In Europe the soundtrack shops already added the import costs, which is moderate for LLL, expensive for Intrada and ridiculous for Varese.