Films that were most emotionally touching for you

Fabulin

45 minutes ago, John said:

The entire duration of Schindler's List.

The ending of E.T.

The ending of A.I.

Is there any director that is more adept at stirring the emotions than Spielberg?

Schindler's List was powerfully emotional for me.  If I cried, I don't remember.  Makes you numb with the gravity of it all.

I always cry at the end of E.T., though.  So irrational, but I can't help it.

Similarly, the climax of The Iron Giant gets me every time.

The Lion King is a big one for me. Lots of childhood memories.

Total nerd alert, but I got all misty-eyed in the final scene of DH2, as well. Knowing that this particular journey was coming to an end - coupled with the obvious but insanely effective reprise of Leaving Hogwarts - was enough to get me all choked up, and that doesn't happen easily for me.

I've never cried while watching Titanic, but I do always finish the film with a certain sense of melancholic reflectiveness. The score, the lost love, the morning fascination of the all-too-real images of the ship's final somber resting place...yep, that'll do it.

Amour (2012) - That movie crushed my soul. But in a good way. I felt numb, as if I had been bludgeoned. I highly recommend people to seek this movie out. I saw it on the big screen, staring at it in awe, literally incredulous at what I was watching but still the movie made me cry within the first 10 minutes.

Toy Story 3, Up, Wall-E, Inside Out.

E.T. The finale is a waterwarks special with Williams score.

1 hour ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

If Drax were here, he'd say that he's never been emotionally affected by a movie.

You know, if Drax were here he'd say you're an irrational, illogical human. 

The Lord of the Rings. Moments in all three entries get me going, but where Fellowship of the Ring and the Two Towers have only a handful of those, Return of the King has like twenty of them. Some moments in The Desolation of Smaug (the beholding of the mountain, the hidden door opening, the dead refugees revealed) and The Battle of the Five Armies (Thorin’s death) also get me.

Braveheart.

Schindler’s List.

Titanic.

Batman Begins and The Dark Knight Rises, in a few moments.

The Lion King - possibly when I was younger, I don’t remember. Same goes for E.T.

A.I. is the one where I cried the most (ending scene). Empire of the Sun also hit hard although I'm not sure if I quite got to crying. I probably got a little misty-eyed during the final sequences of TFA as well (joy tinged with melancholy). 

Titanic was pretty gripping and devastating but I don't think I cried at all. To some degree I think the shock/trauma factor of that film's final third outweighed the almost perfectly tragic romance. 

I'm sure I'm forgetting some flicks but it's late right now. 

When E.T. was first released, I watched it eight times, at the cinema. I cried several times, every time.

It was rereleased in the UK in both 1986, and, of course, in 2002. I cried both times, then.

If it was shown on TV now, I'd change channels.

These days, I cry at  different things, onscreen, but I look back at those heady days of 1982, with fondness.

10 hours ago, John said:

The entire duration of Schindler's List. no but I gag at the false sentiment as oskar cries

The ending of E.T. absolutely

The ending of A.I. never its as dead a film as it can be

Is there any director that is more adept at stirring the emotions than Spielberg?

My thoughts regarding the three films listed

2 hours ago, Richard said:

When E.T. was first released, I watched it eight times, at the cinema. I cried several times, every time.

It was rereleased in the UK in both 1986, and, of course, in 2002. I cried both times, then.

If it was shown on TV now, I'd change channels.

These days, I cry at  different things, onscreen, but I look back at those heady days of 1982, with fondness.

To youth.

*takes sip of water*

Kind of weird but the only film that brought me to tears in the theatre was First Man. Something about the timing of when I went to see it, the music in the scene, and the significance of the scene just broke me.

The Lord of the Rings has many moments that give me the chills. Return of the King at Aragorn's coronation is the tipping point for me.

Oh gosh, and UP. Just saw that up there. Beautiful.

12 hours ago, Datameister said:

Total nerd alert, but I got all misty-eyed in the final scene of DH2, as well

For a moment I was wracking my brains to think what the sad bit was.  "John reunited with Holly, I guess...???"

22 minutes ago, John said:

I thought you liked the film?

That is irrelevant. The ending is not emotionally touching for me in the least. I've told the story many times how the projector malfunctioned when the alien was talking to David and we all groaned and suffered through an even longer ending.

1 minute ago, Fabulin said:

I am surprised how many mention The Return of The King... but maybe that is because I really do not like this film

Why don't you like it? I'm genuinely curious.

This is a weird thing to admit (a phrase I should put before most of my posts), but I was sobbing practically uncontrollably for at least 5 minutes after Life Itself, the documentary about Roger Ebert and his final years, ended.  It had a very serious and unique emotional effect on me.

4 hours ago, John said:

Disagree about A.I. The film has its ups and downs, but the ending is unforgettably poignant and it gets me every time.

Which ending? I know films manipulate us/me but they can do so unobtrusively and then there is A.I. which lacked such finesse to me.  

Does anyone get emotional during Ben Hur? 

My sister and I have sat and cried in a triple feature of An Officer and A Gentleman, Without a Trace, and Terms Of Endearment. We were hospitalized for severe dehydration. 

Im sure very few new members know those 3 films.

1 hour ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Kind of weird but the only film that brought me to tears in the theatre was First Man. Something about the timing of when I went to see it, the music in the scene, and the significance of the scene just broke me.

The Lord of the Rings has many moments that give me the chills. Return of the King at Aragorn's coronation is the tipping point for me

Once that movie gets past the 40 minute mark, I get a solid cry every 20 minutes or so.  It is a bit excessive in comparison to TTT's slow build-up to the Gandalf reveal/Sam's speech but it works so well.

And though its a tv show. STTNG Episode of Inner Light has its way with me at the end. Every single time. Toy Story 3. They were Holding Hands.

Omg I'm getting verklempt.

To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar

Space Cowboys

Universal Soldier

Down and Out in Beverly Hills

Time and time again, these are deeply emotional experiences for me.

4 hours ago, Steve McQueen said:

To youth.

*takes sip of water*

To youth.

*takes sip of double Drambuie*

The shot that makes me tear-up, is the final shot from 2001, as the Starchild slowly turns to look directly into the camera. In 70mm, "overwhelming" is an understatement.

Also, I cry at the final scene in BRAINSTORM, where Brace comes back to Karen, and Lilian goes to...who knows where. It still packs a punch.

20 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

I forgot The Fly and Dead Ringers. These two movies, especially the latter, absolutely destroyed me emotionally! Only when I watched them a second time.

You choices are eye opening in the fact that emotionally touch doesn't mean you have to cry.  I didn't cry in the Exorcist but the empathy the film evoked was gut churning in how Ellen Burnstyn character was so helpless in her ability to stop what was happening to Regan. The same with the Fly (I assume you meant Goldblum's) in my case Price's version. The stunning horror at the end when he screams help me HEELLP MEEE is visceral. People laugh nervously as if that is funny but its not funny its horrifying. It evokes many fears of change, suffering, being eaten alive, and death, death being a sweet release.

21 hours ago, Quintus said:

To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar

Space Cowboys

Universal Soldier

Down and Out in Beverly Hills

Time and time again, these are deeply emotional experiences for me.

You forgot Another 48 Hours!