Harry Potter 7CD Collection - SAMPLES and clips discussion

Jay

1 minute ago, artguy360 said:

These samples are wonderful. I honestly didn't realize how much officially unreleased music there was across all 3 scores. 

I realised that (I watched the movies often enough, after all), but I never listened to the leaks, so many of the cues are like totally new to me. In the movies, they are often barely audible.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Sometimes I forget how awesome The Troll Fight is until I hear it randomly, like in this interview. I know its very similar to To The Plaza, Presto, but I love it!

Rewatching this scene now... Yeah, another highlight for sure!

3 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

As JW fans we are living in a blessed time. 

Indeed! 

This set is really comparable to the Complete Recordings of Howard Shore's LoTR trilogy... Except we're getting this only now, 14 years after the release of the last JW-scored HP movie! 

On 11/27/2018 at 9:36 PM, Jay said:

Sometimes I forget how awesome The Troll Fight is until I hear it randomly, like in this interview. I know its very similar to To The Plaza, Presto, but I love it!

Did they really include in this set 1m03A That's a Lie and 1m4x Aunt Marge Points the Finger? Aren't they like 1 second "bass note" stingers / underscore or something?

1 minute ago, Lockdown said:

Yeah, but I'm merely joking. It's one low bass note that plays for like one second in the movie twice.

Is that the moment a second before the glass breaks in her hand? 1:15

Just now, Josh500 said:

Is that the moment a second before the glass breaks in her hand? 1:15

That one is called "That's a Lie" There's a second one, just before the Waltz.

I'm generally a JW completist, but worrying about and craving single one-second bass notes here and there... That borders on OCD! 😂 

But sure, better to have them than not, I guess.

1 minute ago, artguy360 said:

As someone else noted, the gentle rendition of the Chamber of Secrets theme is a real gem. 

That was me.

Yep. So gorgeous, but somehow disturbingly, hauntingly gorgeous. Especially the Ginny Gets Snatched cue. Sounds just amazing...

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

I'm sure William Ross was able to step in and help conduct. 

Maybe that single note was written by William Ross! 😂 

But no, that was PoA, not CoS.

Just now, artguy360 said:

From these samples, I think listening to POA is going to be like discovering a whole new score. 

As much as I love it from 14 years of listening, it’s one of his more puzzling album assemblies, that OST

Once the sheet music leaked and Data made his edit I stopped listening to it. Too much good stuff left off in favor of too much repeated material.

Sorry , the teaser music IS in the interview

but wait there's another part at the end.. .Is the cue like this or it's an edit for the interview?

which means 'teaser 1" had a section edited out?

This is the House Selection scene... 

Love the score, love the scene! JW sure handled this scene like a master. This switches from light-hearted to dark, from worry to joy, from Ron's theme to Hogwart's theme to the Entrance Theme within seconds...

Just now, King Mark said:

from what I read HPSS is made from different elements

No, everything from HPSS came from the same element.

Just now, King Mark said:

What are the leaked sessions from or is this new set better sounding?

This new set is better sounding .

In 2001 they edited everything with 2001 technology at 24/44.1 so that's what the leak is from (downmixed to 16/44.1 like the OST)

This set, even though we are buying it on 16/44.1 CD, was completely edited mixed and mastered with 2018 technology from the 24/192 fresh transfers of the original tapes, so still sounds much better than the old files did. Plus, it's mastered whereas the leak was unmastered session files.

1 hour ago, Josh500 said:

This is the House Selection scene... 

Love the score, love the scene! JW sure handled this scene like a master. This switches from light-hearted to dark, from worry to joy, from Ron's theme to Hogwart's theme to the Entrance Theme within seconds...

What's the timestamp for what you are calling Ron's theme?

2 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

What's the timestamp for what you are calling Ron's theme?

It's widely accepted to be Ron's theme or motif. The moment to steps up, of course. At 1:21.

Its an incidental piece of music JW used once for Ron approaching the Sorting Hat. Then it got rerecorded in COS when Ron shows up at Harry's window so fans call it Ron's theme. It's not. 

22 minutes ago, Jay said:

Its an incidental piece of music JW used once. Then it got rerecorded in COS when Ron shows up at Harry's window so fans call it Ron's theme. It's not. 

I disagree.

If it was used at least twice for Ron, it can be called "Ron's theme." That use in CoS might have been coincide, but then again it might not. Regardless, one can't blame the fans for thinking of it as Ron's theme. It's a question of perception, there's no definite right or wrong here.

20 minutes ago, Holko said:

CoS reuses it multiple times for Weasley moments! 

I'm not 100% sure, but wasn't this used more than once in PS too? Always in connection with Ron? 

Oh yeah, I found the CoS moment.... Right at the beginning, at around 0:40.

https://youtu.be/ALdARL87iaU

20 minutes ago, Molly Weasley said:

Well, now you can hear it at 1:00 of "The Library and Transformation Class" sample from CoS

Indeed. Good catch!

I'm still curious about Azkaban's additional music section. Is it chronological? There's so many Dementor/Patronus focused tracks, many of which aren't listed as alternates (doesn't that usually mean they've already been released in some form, aka the OST?)

It seems the 'ticking clock' has been retained in the film score presentation, so are most of these just the OST versions without the ticking?

21. Watching the Past [Alternate] 2:21 (confusingly, the sample sounds like the film version of The Dementors Converge. Perhaps the alternate Frozen Lake cue is the first half of this track, which I believe we confirmed was recorded due to the DVD menus?)

22. The Dementors Circle 0:46 (wonder what this covers that isn't already in The Dementors Converge [Film Version] and The Dementors Converge? Is this 0:25-1:15 of OST track Finale or an alternate excerpt of Watching the Past?)

23. The Patronus Light 1:16 (OST track)

24. The Patronus Power 0:47 (guessing this is OST track Finale 1:13-2:00, but isn't that already covered in Watching the Past? Different take?)

25. The Dementors Converge 3:15 (OST track)

So many mysteries! How magical :P

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Strong Tchaikovsky Nutcracker influence in both. Love them all. :) 

3 hours ago, Jay said:

IThis set, even though we are buying it on 16/44.1 CD, was completely edited mixed and mastered with 2018 technology from the 24/192 fresh transfers of the original tapes, so still sounds much better than the old files did.

if it ends up on a 16/44.1 c.d. I' m still  confused why it would sound better. Wouldn't it only sound better on something like SACD or 24/192 hi -resolution audio files  that don't lose anything from the new 24/192 transfers?

4K video downscaled to 1080p will look better than something shot natively 1080p.

It's probably a similar principal with audio fidelity. If your initial source has a higher resolution then you have more to work with from an EQ and editing standpoint.