Harry Potter 7CD Collection - SAMPLES and clips discussion

Jay

6 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Unless it's original music written by JW for the trailer, why would anybody care? 

Not getting all this trailer hype. Can somebody explain? 

It is original music written by JW for the trailer...and the first recordings ever of Hedwigs theme.

3 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

It is original music written by JW for the trailer...and the first recordings ever of Hedwigs theme.

I know that.

I'm talking about the Coca-Cola trailer...

3 minutes ago, Holko said:

That is also partly unreleased original music SW specifically wrote for it...

SW? 

51 minutes ago, Holko said:

It's cut in about half, it's a minute long piece.

Sorry, there's nothing new whatsoever in this trailer. Unless you mean the other half minute, not in this video?

🙄

13 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Sorry, there's nothing new whatsoever in this trailer. Unless you mean the other half minute?

cue list:

Hedwig Tries a Cookie – 0:59 Coke twice misspelled turned into "cookie". It's a minute-long compilation of score material arranged specifically for the coke ad and recorded at the scoring sessions.

From Datameister's cue-by-cue breakdown:

Hedwig Tries a Cookie – [01:02]
This cue is known as “Coke Ad 60s” meaning “60 second Coke Ad.” The title “Hedwig tries a Cookie” i believe is a misrepresentation of what williams had written which may have simply been “Hedwig tries a Coke-ey” but spelled “Cokie” as Williams has a thing for spelling words with “ie” instead of “y”

See Arrival of Baby Harry 1:44-2:43

I didn't realise that the Cola trailer music was always part of the opening OST track until the MM interview about the set. Still nice to have it but I suppose it's a bit less interesting in its own right now.

13 minutes ago, Alan said:

I didn't realise that the Cola trailer music was always part of the opening OST track until the MM interview about the set.

You obviously haven't read my analysis of the score then. ;) 

Just now, Holko said:

Or more, the Arrival cue is much better in full on its own without unrelated ad cues in the middle of it!

Yes!

1 minute ago, Incanus said:

You obviously haven't read my analysis of the score then. ;) 

Caught red handed! I'll have a ready later :)

2 minutes ago, Alan said:

Caught red handed! I'll have a ready later :)

With all due respect for that actual masterpiece, I'd recommend you wait for the set and listen to the score on your own a few times beforehand to get a hang of the new music and its magicalness - let your mind be blown by the music, then blown even more when you read about things you haven't noticed!

1 hour ago, Holko said:

That is also original music JW specifically wrote for it... It was on the OST.

I may be mistaken, but isn't the Coke Ad Music the first recording of HP music ever?
If it is, it's incredible how JW managed to fill 60 seconds with such great music,

without having even seen the movie.

6 minutes ago, redishere said:

I may be mistaken, but isn't the Coke Ad Music the first recording of HP music ever?
If it is, it's incredible how JW managed to fill 60 seconds with such great music,

without having even seen the movie.

I assumed the teaser was. He wrote that based on the book for a sizzle reel (aka trailer) for Warner Brothers before hired on as composer. Coke Ad sounds like a brand deal made once they had something to show companies to partner up.

1 minute ago, bollemanneke said:

That's nice! I've never actually heard the commercial before. (Why does everything about HP1 make me feel so nostalgic?)

Because it came out...17 years ago. Gah. I remember seeing it for the first time....

There it is. The nostalgia

Just now, Josh500 said:

Home Alone makes me feel nostalgic too! 

That's the magical Chris Columbus and John Williams combo! They know how to evoke childhood memories and tug at the heartstrings ... 

Oh goodness yes. John Williams is nostalgic. Lol.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

The initial HP1 teaser cue was recorded in Los Angeles in November of 2000, and was then used on the first teaser for the film that came out, when was it, the summer of 2001?

The HP1 trailer cue was recorded in Los Angeles in June of 2001 and was used on the trailer that came out closer to the film's release, in what, November of 2001 or so?

The entire score used in the film, as well as the entire children's suite, as well as the coke ad, was all recorded in London in August and November of 2001.

I thought in an interview with Mike he said they couldn't get the LSO and had decided only certain cues would get redone in London? With the rest of it being done in LA?

EDIT: Let me see if I can find the portion.

On 12/3/2018 at 10:36 AM, TSMefford said:

I thought in an interview with Mike he said they couldn't get the LSO and had decided only certain cues would get redone in London? With the rest of it being done in LA?

The entire score to HP1 was recorded in London.  First at Air Studios, then at Abbey Road.

The only thing not recorded in London are the teaser and trailer cues, recorded in LA months earlier.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

I have no idea what you're talking about.  The score to HP1 was recorded entirely by the London Symphony Orchestra.

I'm looking for it. Perhaps it was something else.

4 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

I thought in an interview with Mike he said they couldn't get the LSO and had decided only certain cues would get redone in London?

They couldn't get Abbey Road (I think?) for most of the recording so they recorded elsewhere in London. They then went back to re-do some cues at Abbey Road.

1 minute ago, Alan said:

They couldn't get Abbey Road (I think?) for most of the recording so they recorded elsewhere in London. They then went back to re-do some cues at Abbey Road.

Ohhhh. Yes. You are correct. That's what it was my apologies. Whoops. Sorry @Jay

1 minute ago, Alan said:

Most of the score was recorded at Air Studios.  Only the final 2 days of sessions were at Abbey Road.

Just now, Jay said:

Most of the score was recorded at Air Studios.  Only the final 2 days of sessions were at Abbey Road.

Yep. Goodness I'm having a rough morning. XD. 

24 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I remember the mania here over hearing that first teaser.  A very high traffic JWFAN Moment(TM)

Would've loved to witness the HP frenzy here back then!

But maybe it's better this way.
A 15-year-old redishere lost in JWFan all day probably would have never finished school :D 

Nevermind I was ninja'd, I was just about to ask whether there are differences between the recordings in the two studios.

I remember distinctly that the score to HP&PS was not performed by the LSO. Only a few members from the LSO participated in the recording sessions, but not the LSO proper. That's why it doesn't say LSO on the OST album, either!

Or was that false information too? 

2 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

But did the LSO officially record HP1? Because radio presenters always say it's a studio orchestra, only when they play HP2 do they mention the LSO.

Oh you're right, I always forget that HP1 wasn't "officially" the LSO, just many of the the same musicians.  My bad.

Picking up the discussion here about PoA's Hedwig's Theme statement in the end credits. @Holko

It sounds to me like the LLL version in the sample is edited. I can almost hear the note quickly fade out as the insert comes in. 

2 hours ago, Holko said:

🙄

cue list:

Hedwig Tries a Cookie – 0:59 Coke twice misspelled turned into "cookie". It's a minute-long compilation of score material arranged specifically for the coke ad and recorded at the scoring sessions.

From Datameister's cue-by-cue breakdown:

Hedwig Tries a Cookie – [01:02]
This cue is known as “Coke Ad 60s” meaning “60 second Coke Ad.” The title “Hedwig tries a Cookie” i believe is a misrepresentation of what williams had written which may have simply been “Hedwig tries a Coke-ey” but spelled “Cokie” as Williams has a thing for spelling words with “ie” instead of “y”

See Arrival of Baby Harry 1:44-2:43

Once I finally heard this, I could never unhear it being edited into it and can't ever listen to the OST again. LOL

9 minutes ago, scallenger said:

Once I finally heard this, I could never unhear it being edited into it and can't ever listen to the OST again. LOL

Oh, God. I just realized this.
Not the best horrible edit, in my opinion

43 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

Picking up the discussion here about PoA's Hedwig's Theme statement in the end credits. @Holko

It sounds to me like the LLL version in the sample is edited. I can almost hear the note quickly fade out as the insert comes in. 

The LLL version of the end credits does indeed mimic the Film Edit exactly.

So the Hedwig's Theme statement is cut a bit short in both the film and on the LLL set (or the OST and other longer ending note appearances are looped)

Here's the waveform comparisons for those of us who care.

Comparison.jpg

I'm probably going to replicate the edit present in Art of the Score. 

DISCLAIMER: I'm not at my workstation, so the only version of the Film Credits I could find quickly was a surround channel version on YouTube, which is why the waveforms don't perfectly match in shape with the LLL version, but you can tell they do in timing.

My apologies for those who don't give a damn. My inner music editor is coming out.

Personally, I'm hoping that 26. The Firebolt [Alternate] 1:30 has the whole thing.

1 minute ago, Holko said:

This 100%! Even if it repeats a lot of earlier material, the Chamber theme's usage (helped to some extent by Dobby, Fawkes and some incidental music of course) raises my love of this score to practically the same level as the first one which has pure magic and nostalgia on its side.

Yes. Absolutely.

Regarding the end of POA, I'd imagine that where the LLL ends the Hedwig theme statement is where JW intended the insert to begin. Practically it makes no difference, but it sounds better than saying the new set retains a film edit 😜