Harry Potter 7CD Collection - SAMPLES and clips discussion

Jay

5 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Speaking of, I wonder if the extended Knight Bus music was written for the deleted scene (appears on the DVD).

I don't believe that deleted scene used Williams' intended music, but the Sir Cadogan one did (and said cue was used on the OST).

I can’t remember how the ABC Family cut handled that scene. 

EDIT: They just tracked music from the beginning of the cue. Basically how it appears in the DVD

3 hours ago, TSMefford said:

His site says he’s the one who did the Celeste solos. I bet I could check that documentary on the Goblet of Fire Blu-Ray and figure out. I’ll see.

Two things:

1. That is actually where I found what keyboard he used, from my copy of the GOF Blu-Ray bonus feature! You might have to do a little digging to find the exact model he uses though.

2. Not only did he create the synth celeste, but he actually created a VST program for them and released it publicly, so you can actually buy his infamous celeste patch from Native Instruments. It's only like $99.

14 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I'm not even sure that's tracked. It could be what Williams wrote for the scene and he liked it enough to include on the soundtrack.

Oh sorry. I was referring to the Knight bus scene.

Just now, Manakin Skywalker said:

Two things:

1. That is actually where I found what keyboard he used, from my copy of the GOF Blu-Ray bonus feature! You might have to do a little digging to find the exact model he uses though.

2. Not only did he create the synth celeste, but he actually created a VST program for them and released in publicly, so you can actually buy the infamous celeste patch from Native Instruments. It's only like $99.

I saw that! Very cool. Might have to go for it.

3 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

I saw that! Very cool. Might have to go for it.

I've wanted to get it for the past couple years, since I already own a bunch of NI products, but haven't had the money to pull the trigger yet... then the HP boxset came out on top of that. :P

54 minutes ago, Space Pineapple Prod. said:

Yep. the only difference is that pineapples can move backwards.

40 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Well, this thread certainly took a left-hand turn.

Or a step backwards - if pineapples have legs and feet, that is...

35 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Speaking of, I wonder if the extended Knight Bus music was written for the deleted scene (appears on the DVD).

I don't believe that deleted scene used Williams' intended music, but the Sir Cadogan one did (and said cue was used on the OST).

I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

43 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Well, this thread certainly took a left-hand turn.

You're welcome.

29 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I've wanted to get it for the past couple years, since I already own a bunch of NI products, but haven't had the money to pull the trigger yet... then the HP boxset came out on top of that. :P

Right? If I’d have known I wouldve built this into my Black Friday budget. I got other NI products instead

1 hour ago, Nick Parker said:

Or you could just find a free DX7 emulator or sample of its raw sine wave, then layer it with some free celeste sample. ;)

I actually did do that a few years back, with a generic sine and an EWQL Celeste patch. I just remade an updated version just now that actually doesn't sound that bad, using an EWQL celeste again, as well as a DX7 emulator sine. Although obviously it's not the same. Having Randy's plugin or even a real DX7 would sound much more convincing, especially since Randy's Celeste contains the actual patches that he used on Harry Potter, Star Wars, etc.

32 minutes ago, TGP said:

It's true.  I've tried DX7 emulations and you may as well just use any other synth plugin.  The most valuable thing in my studio is the DX7 - I've made more money with it than any other single instrument.  Other stuff may have cost more, and I do have way too much stuff, but nothing pulls its weight like that thing.

Honestly DX7 emulators gross me out a little. Their attempts to model the DAC just sound really...cheap. I figured just the basic initial sine wave wouldn't lose too much, though. Do you program yours on the board?

28 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I actually did do that a few years back, with a generic sine and an EWQL Celeste patch. I just remade an updated version just now that actually doesn't sound that bad, using an EWQL celeste again, as well as a DX7 emulator sine. Although obviously it's not the same. Having Randy's plugin or even a real DX7 would sound much more convincing, especially since Randy's Celeste contains the actual patches that he used on Harry Potter, Star Wars, etc.

Did you just use the sine wave straight, or did you mess around with the ADSR, etc.?

26 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Did you just use the sine wave straight, or did you mess around with the ADSR, etc.?

I messed around with it a bit; I ended up using another sine patch instead of DX7 because it sounded a bit better (plus I'm not really familiar with the emulator interface). A S & D needed to be tweaked quite a bit to sound right. The EWQL celeste needed the most tweaking, primarily attack and release.

2 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

NI as in Native Instruments...?

Just now, Nick Parker said:

Naked Iguana, Space Pineapple...are you still tired?

I'm so tired it took me like 10 seconds to pick up on that sarcasm. You need to understand, space travel is very tiring.

13 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Do you program yours on the board?

Yeah I have a binder full of patch schematics.

8 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Who cares about the celeste synth? We (I) wanna know how to recreate the wind synth!:(

55 minutes ago, Space Pineapple Prod. said:

I second this!

Off the top of my head start with filtered white noise - take a lot of the highs out and some of the real lows - with high resonance so it has a hint of real pitch to it.  Probably some chorus and reverb on top of that gets you pretty close.

1 minute ago, Alex said:

Just realised the passage between 1.45 and 1.55 sounds a bit like Pettigrew’s “theme”

At first I was like Nah. Then the second bit kicked in and I was like....Oh. Interesting.

9 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

I feel like I've listened to enough samples and podcasts at this point. Now I just want the set!

I'll listen to Part 3 later maybe. :)

This!  Keep checking my email for tracking # UGH the wait is painful to say the least esp. when others have either shipped out or received theirs.  I know I'll get it soon but still!  

Image result for i want it now willy wonka

Off topic, how do you change the text where it says "Regular Poster" ?  Can't find it anywhere in the settings.  Thanks!

9 minutes ago, ATXHusker said:

Off topic, how do you change the text where it says "Regular Poster" ?  Can't find it anywhere in the settings.  Thanks!

I think you can only change it once you have more than 1000 posts.

• 1 year later...
On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 9:43 PM, Once said:

Oh, I didn't mean that all of those themes were used wrongly. It's just that Williams often uses themes and motifs 'out of context', so to speak, and I would've preferred in these instances that he had re-arranged his CoS themes rather than PS pieces.

Although as a kid I loved recognizing the music - like hearing the melody for Norbert in the slug scene, or the 'Harry Gets a Wand' melody in the petrified Hermione scene.

I realise reviving this thread is weird, but was just reading it out of pure boredom. I never ever realised you can hear the Harry Gets His Wand motif in Petrified Hermione! Incredible.

I also liked how snuck in part of Voldemort’s theme at around 2.20 of Hedwig’s Theme.

EDIT: Not sure why there’s a confused reaction when you can clearly hear it between 2.20 and 2.25.