Danny Elfman's BATMAN - 2018 Mondo Vinyl release CONTAINS NEW MUSIC {Sold Out in 20 minutes}

Jay

I assumed it was just capitalist logic -- you offer an item, and first come, first served. Whether real collectors or 'sharks'. What measures could Mondo implement to prevent this, in your estimations?

I don't particularly care to own "nerdy" posters like Mondo sells.  They don't really seem to specialize in what I'd possibly be interested in: original, interesting posters for classic films.  I'd hang posters for James Stewart posters in my house.

On 12/4/2018 at 2:02 AM, Yavar Moradi said:

If Mondo always sells out so instantly, why don’t they just add another 1000 or 2000 copies?

Yavar

Because there's money in limited numbers, it'd cost more for them to print larger quantities. This way they can retain a higher margin of the profits.

It seems to be working out for them, and there is the market for these special artwork releases, especially considering it's fucking vinyl - hipster gold.

16 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

If 2000 copies sells out in two minutes, why not make 3000 copies and let it sell out in an hour? I’m sure they’d make more profit that way.

Yavar

I don't know how Mondo organizes their sales, it could be that they've worked out for different items that 2000 sells better. The more limited something is, the more valuable it is, it's just the way it works. 

The bottom line is that Mondo know what works best for them!

• 1 month later...
On 12/3/2018 at 8:22 AM, Thor said:

I assumed it was just capitalist logic -- you offer an item, and first come, first served. Whether real collectors or 'sharks'. What measures could Mondo implement to prevent this, in your estimations?

How is that about Capitalist logic?  Capitalism suggests that if you offer an item that people want, they'll pay for it.  Free market.  And that's all well and good.  But people are circumventing the proper channel of things (i.e., seller -> consumer) and inflating the cost in between to sickening levels.  That Jaws poster I mentioned?  That went from $150 or so had you been able to actually buy one through the site to $600-$900 scalper slots on eBay.  And I have no problem whatsoever with anyone charging that price if others are willing to pay it.  What I have a problem with are bots making it impossible for anyone else to get in on the $150 price at which these things were supposed to be offered.  It's unfair, cheating, and Mondo could, as the producer of these things, take measures to stop the practice.  But they don't.  Now, as you say, that may be their prerogative.  But if so, then that shows me they don't care a wit about the collectors to whom they're catering so much as just moving the items as quickly as possible.  Hence, MY Capitalistic logic tells me to put my money elsewhere.

EDIT: I'm don't know much about code, so I couldn't tell you what Mondo could do on a technical level.  But I know plenty of people who do understand that stuff, and they tell me that it would be extremely easy for Mondo to eliminate the practice on their end, but they don't bother.

• 2 weeks later...