Fabulin

I agree with TGP.  I see no reason to care about this kid who can imitate well.

The fact that Mozart was a child prodigy and his childhood compositions are not especially important or interesting on their own, it is only given weight based on what came later.  There were prodigies before him, and many after him.  Most did not define music for their era.

I think the whole discussion is pointless right now. Of course she can emote only in the lingo she could learn in this limited timeframe (=her age). But if she puts the growing craftmanship to good use for when she's able to look beyond the baroque (or romantic) toolbox remains to be seen. At worst, she continues to write Mozart, Brahms and Bach miniatures in her late 20's, with a bit of luck she finds something beyond. We are listening...

4 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

I think she is in a very privileged and favorable position now; in the context of my specific statement her strengths are a presence from 2010s onward, possibly till 2090s and a trajectory of development that is really not very far from early Mozart, is it?

If she truly is to be the next Mozart, she could only carry on until 2040 at the latest. 

1 hour ago, Fabulin said:

Expecting continuous meaningful developments of an aesthetic art by and for a very slowly evolving species will hit a wall sooner than later. We will reach an epoch where the greats will slow down to put efforts in refining what exists already. Imagine if Beethoven didn't want to compose in an old idiom, but after searching and searching—found nothing—what would he do? Go back, and no shame about that.The same about literature, film or painting. They all reach/have reached a plateau.

In the 21st century it is reasonable for a composer to view the entirety of our musical history as their playground, and at any time it is unreasonable to expect a composer to build their work entirely from the ground up.  That said there is much to draw from between the era of Miss Deutscher's chosen idiom and the present.  I wouldn't wish for her to neglect that, particularly since the most reliable method of forging new ways is the combination of so many disparate old ways.  Why you have to seemingly take it to the point of "nothing worthwhile has been done since Strauss" type polemics, or worse, revert to the idea that an art form can hit some evolutionary wall beyond which nothing will matter (are you a Boulez fan?  I wager not, and yet...) is what's "truly puzzling" here though perhaps I've misunderstood your apparent distrust of "post modern" tastes.

Yo, @Fabulin, first I read you say Giacchino's Medal of Honor scores are one of the most significant orchestral achievements in this century, and now you champions this girl whose place in my mind has been well-articulated above.. ...   what is "fabulin", that like some new street word for trippin'? 

Grey pretty much perfectly summed up this thread.  I've known musicians like her and this really is pretty much a search for a "next mozart" and they don't really outlast their youth.  In music school, this isn't very unusual.  This is really a topic for non musicians and in conservatories, it is a non topic.  I'm all for cute kids who are talented but there are tons of them and nothing sets her apart from the rest.  When she's an adult, she'll be judged on her music and it will be tougher to impress. 

5 minutes ago, TGP said:

Anyone else think Rick Beato's perfect pitch kid is the next John Williams?

Considering that he told the whole world how to write like John Williams, there's no telling how much of art and music his son will save from our current artistic Dark Age! 

• 1 year later...

As long as we're throwing around YouTube channels, I like watching Guy Michelmore. Not much of a genius, but awfully entertaining. 

The kid above is an even more annoying Hermione. 

"Well actually..." 

On 11/29/2018 at 11:32 AM, Fabulin said:

I don't know her but I personally gagged at this on Youtube. The public response is kind of pedestrian? Just let her do her cool little thing, don't make it into something radical. Go out and interview the talented streets of hobos.