Your favorite Criterion Collection titles?

John

I recently purchased my first Criterion Collection title (The Dr. Strangelove Blu-ray digipak). Awesome transfer, and the cover and supplemental material are great as well. Any recommendations for the best first titles a new collector should pick up? Your personal favorites?

Well the blu ray releases of all Anderson's films from Bottle Rocket to Moonrise Kingdom are very worth buying. 

Still waiting on Criterion to do Grand Budapest (and Isle of Dogs eventually as well of course).  The Life Aquatic is the only Anderson that had its initial home video release done by Criterion, every other one had a bare bones studio handled release first, sadly.  Life Aquatic is still the only Criterion DVD I ever saw sold at Wal-Mart (back in 2005).

Their three-DVD set of Brazil was a wonder to behold back in the day.

The director I'm most thankful to have discovered via Criterion is definitely Jean-Pierre Melville.  Their releases of Le cercle rougeLe samouraï, Army of ShadowsLes enfants terribles, and others were wonderful gifts that Criterion gave me (in exchange for cash ;))

Just now, Thor said:

That's a great set, Disco Stu.

I assume you've all heard about the new lavish Bergman set with his ENTIRE filmography?

https://www.criterion.com/boxsets/1427-ingmar-bergman-s-cinema

Yes!  It was sore tempting, but I couldn't justify spending that kinda dough right now.

Me neither. I covet it, but there's no way I can afford it (btw, my favourite Bergman remains SMULTRONSTÄLLET). It also seems unavailable at the moment.

I think the only Criterion thing I own is the old DVD for Chasing Amy (if I haven't gotten rid of it by now).  It seemed good in the 1990s!

Some day I'll probably upgrade Eraserhead, Fire Walk With Me, and Mulholland Dr.

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

Me neither. I covet it, but there's no way I can afford it (btw, my favourite Bergman remains SMULTRONSTÄLLET).

I'm so lucky that I got to see an actual film print of that with an audience years ago.  The only time I've been able to see a Bergman film with an audience.

As for me, Winter Light will always remain my sentimental favorite, followed maybe by The Virgin Spring.

OH!  I must recommend the two films Criterion has released from the guy I quote in my forum signature!

In particular, Orpheus.  https://www.criterion.com/films/610-orpheus

You can't go wrong with the sets for Brazil, Silence of the Lambs, Thief, Barry Lyndon, and Naked Lunch (here's hoping that they resurrect Cronenberg's Crash). I recently bought Pan's Labyrinth and Tree of Life but I have yet to open them

Other titles I don't own but recommend are The Game, Dazed and Confused, M, The Leopard, The Fisher King, Slacker, Six Moral Tales, and Mr. Arkadin

I should also mention their releases of Robert Altman films.  In particular McCabe and Mrs. MillerNashville, and Short Cuts.  The latter in particular is an underrated masterpiece.

I've been really enjoying their releases of classic Hollywood studio films in the past several years.  I'm a big fan of the Red River set.  It's my favorite Howard Hawks film and my favorite John Wayne film.  Night of the Hunter is also a must.  If I was at home, I'd look on my shelf and list all the Criterions I own and treasure most.  Going by memory right now.

BTW @John Barnes & Noble's website does a 50% off Criterion sale generally like twice a year.  Criterion always advertises it through their newsletter and social media.  My advice if you're not made of money is to wait for those sales and stock up.

Once the Bergman set is back in print (which might take 3 months) I'll be getting it. My housemate has got it and it's gorgeous. And region-free as well in case anyone is wondering.

Karol

Forgot to mention that I own Costa-Gavras' Missing (hoping for the Blu-ray soon), and Z is worth picking up.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

BTW @John Barnes & Noble's website does a 50% off Criterion sale generally like twice a year.  Criterion always advertises it through their newsletter and social media.  My advice if you're not made of money is to wait for those sales and stock up.

They're having a sale right now! Until December 3rd

10 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Yeah the B&N sales are always in June and November. 

My favorite Criterion transfers are The Third Man (OOP and pricey unfortunately) and Malick’s filmography. 

omg that days of heaven blu ray hnnnnnnnnngh

3 hours ago, Thor said:

That's a great set, Disco Stu.

I assume you've all heard about the new lavish Bergman set with his ENTIRE filmography?

https://www.criterion.com/boxsets/1427-ingmar-bergman-s-cinema

It doesn't say whether the transfers are 4K.

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

It doesn't say whether the transfers are 4K.

It says this:

Digital restorations of the films, including a new 4K restoration of The Seventh Seal and new 2K restorations of Crisis, Persona, Fanny and Alexander, and many others, with uncompressed monaural and stereo soundtracks

Fellini's one of my absolute favorite directors, so practically everything he's done on Criterion is great.  Really happy with all the behind the scenes footage they were able to find of those films!

The release of Kurosawa's Kagemusha, with the original paintings that Kurosawa "storyboarded" the film with, along with "liner notes" and documentary, is beautiful, too.

• 1 year later...

@Holko and whomever else it may concern/interest: Portrait of a Lady on FireMarriage Story and The Irishman (no order page yet, but was announced) are getting Criterion releases! This is old news as of February, but it's new to me and I'm certainly excited! The first two are available for pre-order now. 

I've also been diving into a handful of Bergman and Wes Anderson films in the Collection, and checked out the superb releases of Kubrick's Spartacus and Truffaut's Le quatre cent coups. Criterion does great work, no question there!

• 1 month later...

I seriously almost imported the UK release of Lynch’s The Elephant Man the other night, and it was now just announced by Criterion!

I’m still torn though, because the UK release has a region free 4K UHD disc, with the special features locked to the Region B blu-ray. But it’s also $50 to import it here. 

Criterion has all these beautiful 4K scans and restorations and is locking them on regular blu-ray.