What’s the story behind “Holiday Flight (alternate)”?

Alex

As it’s Christmas I’ve been listening to the Home Alone scores, and I’m just wondering why that jazzy cue exists? It seems that it would be pretty out of place if used in the film. Just wondered if there was a story behind it.

52 minutes ago, Alex said:

As it’s Christmas I’ve been listening to the Home Alone scores, and I’m just wondering why that jazzy cue exists? It seems that it would be pretty out of place if used in the film. Just wondered if there was a story behind it.

From Mike Matessino's liner notes:

The alternate version of Holiday Flight (track 19) is a curiosity.  Although Williams had originally scored the "airport run" in the first film, it was left out in favor of "Run, Rudolph, Run" performed by Chuck Berry.  The familiar "Holiday Flight" motif was, however, used for the sequence at Paris' Orly airport, so it is odd that Williams attempted a radically different sound for the sequel: a jazz piece with no thematic relationship to the rest of the score.  Regardless of the original intention, it serves as a testament to Williams' versatility and an example of how a scene can be approached in different ways.  In retrospect, it is very much a precursor to "Knight Bus" from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban and the main title of The Adventures of Tintin

Wait, is “Holiday Flight” not used at all in the underscore in the first one? 

Never mind, I remember it’s in the “We slept in!” scene at the house. But I had forgotten it wasn’t under the airport run.

3 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Wait, is “Holiday Flight” not used at all in the underscore in the first one? 

No it is.  For the mad scramble when they wake up at the house and then at the Paris airport.  And in the end credits of course, if that counts.

5 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Ah right right. I was confusing it all and thinking the rest of the family went to Paris in the sequel.

They all blend together at a certain point. 

The family goes to Miami in Lost in New York

7 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Ah right right. I was confusing it all and thinking the rest of the family went to Paris in the sequel.

They all blend together at a certain point. 

It's easy to make that mistake. The sequel is similar to the first one in so many ways including the score. Chris Columbus and Williams did pretty much the same thing with the second Harry Potter movie years later. They go to the same places and do the same things with the same music.

As I recall, this alternate would have been completely out of place.