John Williams nominated for 2 Grammy Awards

TownerFan

Two statements of the first phrase of the A theme.

Rest is a big arrangement of Powell's L3 motif and an emotional reading of his very versatile Chewie theme.

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Well of course the Recording Academy has to use official ASCAP or BMI credits for their nominations.

When people broke it down, didn't it reveal that he wasn't given credit for cues that solely used the theme? I don't remember. 

What a disappointing list. BLADE RUNNER 2049 is the only one I kinda like, but (in terms of album listening) only in my playlist version.

THE LAST JEDI is maybe on my low 10 Williams list of all time, but at this point, I can understand why he gets nominated for everything he does.

The 'compilation soundtrack' category (or whatever it was called) was far more interesting.

On October 20, 2018 at 1:19 AM, CGCJ said:

Here's presumably the complete cue list (62 cue titles found in the GEMA repertoire)

Mines Pt2 Cont'd [John Powell]

Mines Pt 1 - Heist [Paul Mounsey]

Mines Pt 2 - Finding Coaxium [John Powell]

Mines Pt 3 - Break-Out [John Powell]

Interesting that John Williams is given credit in the awards for Mine Mission. He's not credited on any of the relevant cues in the GEMA repertoire. And the only other sources that were found and posted in the Solo score thread were for John Powell and Anthony Willis. In fact if anyone should get semi-nomination it appears Paul Mounsey's the guy, at least according to the above post that links to the GEMA source. Curious.

3 minutes ago, lairdo said:

• SHOSTAKOVICH: SYMPHONIES NOS. 4 & 11
  • Shawn Murphy & Nick Squire, engineers; Tim Martyn, mastering engineer (Andris Nelsons & Boston Symphony Orchestra)

Well looks like Shawn Murphy got the last laugh on us after all! :lol:

1 hour ago, Balahkay said:

Escape

If by excellent you mean a damn superb kickoff to a Star Wars score with some the juiciest, fullest writing Williams has done in years, complete with exciting variations of previous themes, and a strongly heroic, yet intensely dramatic and tragic tone throughout...sure, I'll go with that.

16 hours ago, lairdo said:

There is another Williams related nomination on the classical side. The Dallas Winds engineers were nominated for their John Williams album.  

Best Engineered Album, Classical

An Engineer's Award. (Artist names appear in parentheses.)

• BATES: THE (R)EVOLUTION OF STEVE JOBS
  • Mark Donahue & Dirk Sobotka, engineers; Mark Donahue, mastering engineer (Michael Christie, Garrett Sorenson, Wei Wu, Sasha Cooke, Edwards Parks, Jessica E. Jones & Santa Fe Opera Orchestra)

• BEETHOVEN: SYMPHONY NO. 3; STRAUSS: HORN CONCERTO NO. 1
  • Mark Donahue, engineer; Mark Donahue, mastering engineer (Manfred Honeck & Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra)

• JOHN WILLIAMS AT THE MOVIES
  • Keith O. Johnson & Sean Royce Martin, engineers; Keith O. Johnson, mastering engineer (Jerry Junkin & Dallas Winds) 

• LIQUID MELANCHOLY - CLARINET MUSIC OF JAMES M. STEPHENSON
  • Bill Maylone & Mary Mazurek, engineers; Bill Maylone, mastering engineer (John Bruce Yeh)

• SHOSTAKOVICH: SYMPHONIES NOS. 4 & 11
  • Shawn Murphy & Nick Squire, engineers; Tim Martyn, mastering engineer (Andris Nelsons & Boston Symphony Orchestra)

• VISIONS AND VARIATIONS
  • Tom Caulfield, engineer; Jesse Lewis, mastering engineer (A Far Cry)

Wasn't that that album that had sound issues?

On 12/8/2018 at 8:38 AM, Disco Stu said:

According to some.  I never had any issues with it.

Some also didn't like the performances.

I found the performances ok but did not notice any terrible sound issues.

I also noticed today (of course after recording our next podcast) that John Williams at the Movies was also nominated in category 81 for Best Classical Compendium.

So, JW named in 2 noms and the subject of 2 others.

Well, at least the Grammies don't have such an awful reputation as the Oscars, where they give the statuettes out to... well, willy-nilly anybody! And the more exotic and unpronounceable the composer's name, the higher his chances of winning!

Keeping my fingers crossed for JW and TLJ! :)

• 1 month later...
On 12/11/2018 at 3:48 PM, lairdo said:

So, JW named in 2 noms and the subject of 2 others.

Well, it's 0 for 4 at the Grammy's.

JW Noms

Last Jedi lost to Black Panther (no real surprise there in terms of the voting) for soundtrack album

Mine Mission from Solo lost to Blud und Boden (Blood and Soil) by Terrance Blanchard (who composed for Lucas on Red Tails) for instrumental composition.

JW related

Dallas Winds' John Williams At the Movies lost in Engineering to the BSO and Andris Nelson's Shostakovich Symphonies 4 & 11 (with previous Williams mixer Shawn Murphy co-winning on that) and then lost on Classical Compendium to Fuchs: Piano Concerto 'Spiritualist'; Poems Of Life; Glacier; Rush