Hymn to the fallen played on George H.W. Bush state funeral

Dzadza

nice. when do you get to watch 4 US presidents and 4 first ladies listening to a John Williams piece? 😉

but hang on.... I'm 99,9% sure that what we hear is the OST track. Also, couldn't see any brass player except one tube. Weird.

speaking of music for state funerals: At the state funeral of Helmut Schmidt (German chancellor 1974–1982) they performed a very classic German lullaby. Very solemnly, highly recommended.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Not sure Obama commissioned "Air and Simple Gifts" personally, though? Probably the team organizing the event?

The president-elect asked Perlman and Ma to perform, and they in turn called Williams — a frequent collaborator with both artists — “to help them prepare something to play.” Ma chose the other two performers, Williams told Daily Variety.

Knowing of Obama’s appreciation for Copland, they chose the Shaker hymn, which Williams arranged for this unusual quartet, and then composed “a reflective and prayerful theme” as musical bookends.

Since Ma was in L.A. last week to perform with the Philharmonic, he visited Williams on Saturday to run through the piece. The quartet played it for the first time on Tuesday in New York and will rehearse again and record it with Williams on Sunday. Chamber groups are not usually “conducted,” so Williams will not be seen on Tuesday although he may attend as part of the crowd.

https://variety.com/2009/music/markets-festivals/williams-music-to-obama-s-ears-1117998645/

7 hours ago, zoltan_902 said:

The start of piece just barely manages to offset the nausea I feel when I see the orange monkey proceeding down the aisle.

LOL OK.

2 hours ago, Miguel Andrade said:

Yes, Air and Simple Gifts, for piano, violin, cello and clarinet.

Great little piece. Wish he would do more chamber stuff like this.

47 minutes ago, Locrius said:

Great little piece. Wish he would do more chamber stuff like this.

He wrote the longer Quartet La Jolla, though it's not as listener friendly as Air and Simple Gift. Still, of the two, I prefer the La Jolla.

2 hours ago, karelm said:

The president-elect asked Perlman and Ma to perform, and they in turn called Williams — a frequent collaborator with both artists — “to help them prepare something to play.” Ma chose the other two performers, Williams told Daily Variety.

Knowing of Obama’s appreciation for Copland, they chose the Shaker hymn, which Williams arranged for this unusual quartet, and then composed “a reflective and prayerful theme” as musical bookends.

Since Ma was in L.A. last week to perform with the Philharmonic, he visited Williams on Saturday to run through the piece. The quartet played it for the first time on Tuesday in New York and will rehearse again and record it with Williams on Sunday. Chamber groups are not usually “conducted,” so Williams will not be seen on Tuesday although he may attend as part of the crowd.

https://variety.com/2009/music/markets-festivals/williams-music-to-obama-s-ears-1117998645/

Thanks for the background information!

11 hours ago, lemoncurd said:

another try: am I the only one who thinks Hymn To The Fallen wasn't played live? 

But starting at 58:19 you can see the orchestra and choir...

• 5 months later...