Harry Potter 7CD Collection - MUSIC discussion

Jay

In this thread we can discuss the actual musical contents of the set without all the other clutter.

Shipping and ordering updates can stay in the original thread, and you can share pictures and videos and discuss the packaging, art direction, and notes in the thread for that.

Thanks!

If you guys don't have the set yet, or aren't responding to posts discussing the music by someone who does, then keep your comments to yourself. The threads are what they are.  Thank you.

By the way. I did recently rediscover the Source Cue from Lupin's Record Player at the end of the movie, when Lupin is packing.

Just go here, and check out Track 7: https://www.apmmusic.com/albums/BR-0191

5 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Before I do a full listen of all three scores I just had to dig around POA a bit :P pointing out a couple of the source music question marks,"Wizards Consort" is the Leaky Cauldron fiddle and Three Broomstick piece and the boy playing flute is in the main program as "The Courtyard".

Also that first spooky Double Trouble statement over the Hogwarts Express is moved to "Trouble Takes Many Forms" before the Dumbledore speech cue.

No crossfades or anything. Set sounds amazing, of course.

Thanks for the insight! Is "Something Wicked Intro" also in that Trouble Takes Many Forms track?

15 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Before I do a full listen of all three scores I just had to dig around POA a bit :P pointing out a couple of the source music question marks,"Wizards Consort" is the Leaky Cauldron fiddle and Three Broomstick piece and the boy playing flute is in the main program as "The Courtyard".

Great news about the contents of the Wizards Consort, as predicted then. And the flute piece moved to the Courtyard, also as predicted. Perfect!

Are both Leaky Cauldron source pieces included? There's one piece when Harry arrives and another later on when he talks with Mr. Weasley (with a shawm). 

Also on Non-JW source music. " La Cumparsita" as mentioned in the end credits in the music from the TV played immediately after Aunt Marge's Waltz finishes:

I think most people here know the deal with the Boggart source music, so I won't bother restating that.

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

Great news about the contents of the Wizards Consort, as predicted then. And the flute piece moved to the Courtyard, also as predicted. Perfect!

Are both Leaky Cauldron source pieces included? There's one piece when Harry arrives and another later on when he talks with Mr. Weasley (with a shawm). 

As @Jay has said, i'm sure it is.

I never said all the source music was included.  Again, I very specifically said:

On 11/23/2018 at 11:09 AM, Jay said:

There is no Williams score in the film that is not on the new set.

It's all very intriguing. I'm really looking forward to everything Azkaban has to offer. Mostly because it will surely provide a completely different listening experience than the original OST.

I've been looking forward to this release for the better part of my life, and I honestly didn't expect it to happen until after 2024. So I'm not even impatient for the set to arrive, I'm just so happy it's happening.

1 minute ago, Imhotep said:

What I'd love to know is if "The Chamber Opens and The Search for Ginny" actually contains the incredible three note loop as the sink opens up. Is that on the set?

Yes that's what "The Chamber Opens" is

Hmmm, well it IS a short cue [8m2A Insert The Chamber Door Opens], its the first 40 seconds only of the track.  I can't remember now if the film extended it with tracking or something

The rest of the track contains two cues we had in the leak - 8M2B Pt 1 Goodbye To Memories ["Pit of Bones" in the "On The Track" book] and 8M2B Pt 2 Harry Goes To Find Ginny

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Hmmm, well it is a short cue, its the first 40 seconds only of the track.  I can't remember now if the film extended it with tracking or something

The rest of the track contains two cues we had in the leak - 8M2B Pt 1 Goodbye To Memories ["Pit of Bones" in the "On The Track" book] and 8M2B Pt 2 Harry Goes To Find Ginny

Thank you, I'm intrigued to say the least!

3 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

It's included at the end of "Monster Book and Discussing Black" :) 

Definitely seems like loads of work went into finding homes for all these little cues in the wider listening experience. They're not always in the most obvious spot but there's a logic to it, I can appreciate how it's organized. And again, each individual cue within these compilation tracks have a clean beginning and ending so it's all groovy. Very special to hear this stuff.

Awesome. That is what it's seemed like based on what we've been hearing. Very exciting!

Just now, Once said:

Honestly, I prefer it like that. A nice listening experience that includes everything.

And what a nice idea to include alternates into the main program. This really is a treat.

Has something new been discovered? Alternate Train to Hogwarts

We already knew about the alternate Big Doors coming straight after the original version, and Pettigrew piece at the end of Bird's Flight

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

I find this depressing.  I wish everyone would just listen to the program at least one time as it is, preferably with no distractions (like online forums) before analyzing it and breaking it down into what cue is presented where.

When I will get the set, I won't visit the forum for weeks probably. And yeah, the spreadsheet serves no rational purpose, because we have the complete score now and except the listening pleasure nothing else should be of importance.

Judging from the background music in that unboxing video above (admittedly it's a little hard to hear the end of Lumos! Film Version), it seems That's a Lie and Aunt Marge Points the Finger have been smartly relegated to Aunt Marge's Waltz (Alternate) on disc 2.

A very limited sneak peak tells me that apparently there do exist hidden unheard gems even within PS. That Diagon Alley intro, was that the original intention for the bricks and the reveal? Sounds great!

A couple other questions: is there a boys' choir in CoS? In the Lotr Two Towers Appendices they say the London Oratory Boys Choir sung for Harry Potter the week before. Maybe that could've referred to the Hogwarts Forever vocal version a year before? Or the Double Trouble trailer if it was recorded in mid-to late 2003?

Do any of the booklets state what The Stone (Three Note Loop) was written for? The big middle section is unused in the film.