Harry Potter 7CD Collection - MUSIC discussion

Jay

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

Listened to POA last night, a big takeaway was that section from The Three Broomsticks to The Executioner.

I'd include "The Walk to Buckbeak". I don't have to set yet, but based on the movie that section is indeed the one I'm looking forward to the most.

Thank you for writing such a reflective comment on the score. I'm looking forward to it even more now. 😊

2 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

I also have to say the "Hedwig's Theme" reprisal in the end credits hit me in an interesting way. Not necessarily what he intended but it makes a nice bookend, feels less of an incomplete achievement and more of a distinctly colorful and emotional finale to a fine trilogy. I think it'll be really fun to go through all three in order.

Not what who intended? It's clearly what Williams intended, you can see it right in the sheet music leak

I doubt we'll ever know if he intended for HP3 to be his last HP score ever or not

The fact is post-HP, he's only scored Star Wars and Spielberg films, with the sole exception of Memoirs of a Geisha and The Book Thief, which were both books he liked

I think that he probably was satisfied with his work and not chomping at the bit to do more, but that the door was always open and would have taken the opportunity of the full series as seriously as anything else.

Given the dearth of scoring projects Williams undertook between '05-'11, I really wonder if the difference between him scoring all the sequels vs stopping after PoA was simply the bad timing of GoF's release (during the same year he was already scoring four movies). 

If GoF was a 2006 summer movie rather than Nov 2005, does Williams end up scoring the entire series?

Sadly we'll never know but I'd like to think so. 

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Hmm, but I think Williams wanted it to feel like a bookend. I dunno.

The last note literally sounds like a punctuation mark. Like he said I'm done with this, period.

Just got my set... Is "Fire Bolt and End Credits Suite" supposed to go from Hedwig's theme to a really awkward cut in to the opening of that cue as it was in the OST?  Like there is a statement of Hedwig's theme, then the opening part from "Mischief Managed" as we know it, except the first seconds have been strangely cut and it sounds like a really bad analog edit.  Surely this was not intentional?  Was my disc misprinted?  Has this already been discussed?  I'm hoping it was some kind of error because it sounds very bad.

I am starting to think my disc was misprinted. 

So, “Firebolt and End Credits Suite,” the first 5 seconds or so are a statement of Hedwig’s theme on solo celeste. Then, once that plays, it cuts into the “Mischief Managed” cue, already several seconds into playing.  Like it sounds as though the first 5 seconds of the “Mischief Managed” cue have been cut out and replaced with a 5 second Hedwig theme statement. It sounds like a glitch or an error.  That is what I hear when I play the track. I am assuming that Hedwig’s theme statement is not supposed to play there. 

I think Jay’s saying that’s actually not an edit, it’s how it was performed. 

I do think it’s musically better without tbh, and I’m so used to hearing it that way, but I appreciate the decision to leave things unaltered when in doubt.

4 minutes ago, Taikomochi said:

So it is actually supposed to sound like this? :

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10m7QlmV4cHsxm4eE6vPoC7SxsQaidiOV/view

That edit is... pretty questionable.

It doesn't sound like it starts part of the way through to me, it sounds like there's just a pick-up note before the first measure.

From my limited but focused sneak peek I noticed The Chamber Opens is only the replacement of the 3NL buildup, so it's half the intended cue, building up to nothing and continuing with the next cue that's almost written to pick the 3NL's moody playoff up. That will definitely bother me for a while on album, will edit in The Stone as soon as possible for the digital playlist.

I'm just glad they made the last-minute decision to go from 6 to 7 discs after reading my post

On 10/27/2018 at 8:13 AM, Disco Stu said:

Guys I’m sorry but an HP1 without the children’s suite would have to be categorized as a disappointment for me.

For some reason whenever I hear the brass fanfare in “Platform Nine and Three Quarters” (when the Hogwarts Express is revealed), I expect it to go into the version of the thieves theme from Home Alone II (2.43 in “The Thieves Return”). Maybe they end of the same chord, I dunno.

7 minutes ago, Alex said:

For some reason whenever I hear the brass fanfare in “Platform Nine and Three Quarters” (when the Hogwarts Express is revealed), I also expect it to go into the version of the thieves theme from Home Alone II (2.43 in “The Thieves Return”). Maybe they end of the same chord, I dunno.

Holy shit you're right. I totally get it. Someone make an edit, stat!

Knight Bus, Drum Overlay for Buckbeaks Flight, Reviewing The Recent Past and Knight Bus alternate as well. All of which are lossless on the OST, correct..?

(Specifically Newspaper Headliner Part 1)

The odd thing is though, most of the cue itself is lossless, but they are a number of cues edited together, so you can tell where the edits were made and can see the clear cutoff at 16kHz..

10 minutes ago, Lockdown said:

Knight Bus, Drum Overlay for Buckbeaks Flight, Reviewing The Recent Past and Knight Bus alternate as well. All of which are lossless on the OST, correct..?

(Specifically Newspaper Headliner Part 1)

The odd thing is though, most of the cue itself is lossless, but they are a number of cues edited together, so you can tell where the edits were made and can see the clear cutoff at 16kHz..

This is indeed really odd.

Hope my ear doesn’t catch these lossy bits.

So the frequencies are cut off above 16 kHz in sections? That's weird.

The same segments on the OST don't have that cutoff (at least in the directly comparable sections like Watching the Past or the start of Buckbeak's Flight, unless MM used different takes from the OST for those portions?) 

16 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

Does this mean noticeable to the common ear, or noticeable through high end speakers?

1 minute ago, Holko said:

That's the real question here, yeah.

Exactly.
It's indeed a bit weird since MM clearly put his heart, mind and soul in the creation of this collection, and don't get me wrong, this pisses me off a bit 'cause as @Lockdown said, this shouldn't happen in official remastered releases, and this is a quite big one (and not that cheap, even if I still think 100$ is a bargain).
But if my untrained ear doesn't notice the difference, I'll let it pass. But if there is really this issue, an explanation would be welcome.