Harry Potter 7CD Collection - MUSIC discussion

Jay

50 minutes ago, Jay said:

MM didn't edit the gracenote out of the Firebolt alternate, that track presents the cue as recorded (the entire set presents the cues at their full recorded length, he didn't go around editing bits out).  Obviously after that was recorded, AC re-edited the scene, and JW had to add a grace note to the revised cue to cover the new length. Then, JW chose to have the grace note edited out for the OST album. 

Interesting! The opening and closing statements in the Firebolt alternate sounded identical to the final film takes to my ears, so I guessed MM used the same takes in both tracks then inserted the Firebolt alternate into the middle of the latter.

One edit I had to make in the above video was an unusually long held note at the end, which ran about 2-3 seconds longer in the alternate before the reveal of Cuaron's name for the credit roll. So that final line of dialogue must have been held longer in the original cut Williams scored.

4 hours ago, Holko said:

I haven't listened to most of the cues he uploaded - will perhaps do so after I already have the set - but the inclusion of "Headless Hunt (alternate)", which is the tambourine intro+Cadogan slowed down but without the tambourine overlay leads me to believe he doesn't have the full iso score and also doesn't know that the cue was only tracked and overlaid with percussion, or wasn't in the cue list, certainly not with that title.

I have. Based on the one you mentioned alone you can tell it’s just an attempted clean-up from the blu-Ray. Some of it is better than others, but certainly no recording sessions.

3 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

So, what reasoning do people think is behind the repeated alternate first Boggart cue in the main programme?

My assumption is that both were included because both are in the film.

The only way to do it would be to do an edit where the main program has the first half of V1 and the second half of V2 edited together and the then bonus track section has the first half of V2 and the second half of V1 edited together, but then you're never really presenting Williams' intentions anywhere.

It's kind of a damned if you do damned if you dont situation

11 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

And I thought I knew this score inside-out.

:P We're all learning here. Well. Except @Jay... Actually he did learn about Buckbeak's Theme in Time Past so I guess everyone is learning! XD

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

The only way to do it would be to do an edit where the main program has the first half of V1 and the second half of V2 edited together and the then bonus track section has the first half of V2 and the second half of V1 edited together, but then you're never really presenting Williams' intentions anywhere.

It's kind of a damned if you do damned if you dont situation

In my edit (Well, one iteration of it), I simply deal with the repeated material. Main program has the film edit, and the bonus tracks have them presented as V1 and V2. That's the edit with film versions though. If i'm not listening to that then I'm just listening to the LLL set as is. XD

The damned SE works those two alternates in so well that the OST version seems bare and unfinished and the film version seems sudden and unearned without the buildup you're used to!

How did the SE handle it again? 

I wonder how Mike will handle that when he revisits ROTJ? Both film versions together and both unused versions in the extras, even though Williams didn't record it either way? Tricky. 

No idea which release did it, but I liked the one with both Funeral Pyre versions back to back. It's like a mini-suite of the Force Theme. The Leia cue can be relegated to the alternates where it belongs though. 😛

5 minutes ago, crumbs said:

How did the SE handle it again? 

I wonder how Mike will handle that when he revisits ROTJ? Both film versions together and both unused versions in the extras, even though Williams didn't record it either way? Tricky. 

Film version (and OST) News, alternate (OST) Pyre, film Pyre. The alternate News is... somewhere else? No idea is it's on the SE at all.

*shudders at how incredibly godawful the sound is*

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

The alternate news piece does not appear on the 1997 SE set, its only on the anthology.

Ah yes, I just did a double take looking at the SE tracklist. For a moment I thought even the Sail Barge alternate was missing! It seems the Leia alternate is the only substantial missing alternate from the SE that I can see. 

Still, another reason that score needs a complete overhaul to get it done properly. No idea how Mike will handle all the different songs and celebration cues. Aren't there like 5 versions of the latter alone? 

Ewok Celebration: Film Version (unreleased) 

Ewok Celebration: Album Version

Ewok Celebration: Anthology "Film" Version (not the film version at all) 

Victory Celebration: Album Version

Victory Celebration: Film Version

All this ewok stuff is making me wonder if Williams will write a new Victory Celebration for Episode IX, or something like 'Porg Celebration'??

27 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Victory Celebration: Album Version

Victory Celebration: Film Version

I think technically they're the same recording, the film just loops the introductory seconds over and over and over and over and over and over and over (or dials out those weird effects), and also dials out the "ya-ya-ya" choir that sounds pitch-shifted, I'm able to hear the faintest remains of it in the bluray when really concentrating. It doesn't work at all without all those crowd noises, but works well with those in-film. The sound guys also added effects like those strikes when we cut to Coruscant and the stormtooper helmets clanging - at least I believe they were only sound department additions.

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

On my second HP3 listen, this time on the CD player away from the computer. I'm beginning to appreciate and understand this presentation.

That was my initial reaction as well.

10 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I've never found Goldsmith's scores to be very strong on the emotional side.

7 hours ago, publicist said:

Not from the film's character's POV (and not as synonym for 'it made me cry', to which it is often flimsily reduced).

As it has always been and as it will ever be: A crying audience does never verify quality.

I listened to the Prisonner of Azkaban Expanded score for the time first today!!!!!

WOW!!!

Half the tracks are variations on "Double Trouble" and the rest have "tick tick tick" in it!

Superb score!

😝

3 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I listened to the Prisonner of Azkaban Expanded score for the time first today!!!!!

Why'd you wait so long?

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

Speaking of the Dufay collective, what instruments are used in that marvellous hogsmeade pub cue? Is it recorder and harp, or recorder and hurdy-gurdy (what a word)?

I messaged them to compliment their work and to see if they have a record of what cues they worked on. We'll see if they respond XD.

Just now, Jay said:

Why'd you wait so long?

Will power test. LOL.

Bit disconcerting, seems there's a manufacturing defect in their new cases if the exact same parts are broken in both our sets.

I hadn't paid much attention to the quality of their cases over the years but I might have to compare with my other LLL sets.

I guess this has been discussed but with so many pages it's hard to follow (BTW is there a way for searching inside a topic?) but what about the trailer music in Prisoner of Azkaban? I mean, is that composed by John Williams? In the booked they don't say differently, but all those synths seem more a job from a trailer music company with the recording of Chamber of Secrets at the end, right?

2 hours ago, DrTenma said:

I guess this has been discussed but with so many pages it's hard to follow (BTW is there a way for searching inside a topic?) but what about the trailer music in Prisoner of Azkaban? I mean, is that composed by John Williams? In the booked they don't say differently, but all those synths seem more a job from a trailer music company with the recording of Chamber of Secrets at the end, right?

We have discussed it a couple times yes. Seems to be mostly the work of a trailer house, with a new mix of "Reunion of Friends" tacked on the end there. Same recording, new mix.

Thanks @Jay!

16 hours ago, TSMefford said:

We have discussed it a couple times yes. Seems to be mostly the work of a trailer house, with a new mix of "Reunion of Friends" tacked on the end there. Same recording, new mix.

It's probably the most strange inclusion in a Williams' score, honestly. I don't complain since it makes the set more complete, but I don't understand why they included it (maybe it was simply because they had the files...?).