Harry Potter 7CD Collection - MUSIC discussion

Jay

7 hours ago, DrTenma said:

Thanks @Jay!

It's probably the most strange inclusion in a Williams' score, honestly. I don't complain since it makes the set more complete, but I don't understand why they included it (maybe it was simply because they had the files...?). 

It was because they had the files

7 hours ago, DrTenma said:

Thanks @Jay!

It's probably the most strange inclusion in a Williams' score, honestly. I don't complain since it makes the set more complete, but I don't understand why they included it (maybe it was simply because they had the files...?). 

I think because it constituted the only instance of them having the Family Theme on the 3rd set. Otherwise the theme would be completely absent from it.

I would be absolutely fine with not having the Family theme at all on Set 3: Reunion of Friends is a perfect sendoff for leaving it behind, but that also goes for the whole mood of 1&2.

12 minutes ago, Holko said:

I would be absolutely fine with not having the Family theme at all on Set 3: Reunion of Friends is a perfect sendoff for leaving it behind, but that also goes for the whole mood of 1&2.

I agree but, in any case, is a bonus  to have it

The original Firebolt leading into the credits intro Hedwig's theme would have been the perfect ending in my opinion - having not heard the set yet :P

5 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I can see why someone might enjoy that source cue - it sort of works as weird counterpoint to the score. I've hooked onto less.

Agreed. I’d totally listen to it if it was included.

But without Shawm, the set is useless of course!

7 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Now I've seen the elusive Shawm source mentioned so many times that I've just got to ask: what the hell is it?!?

I asked the exact same question a month ago! 😂 

3 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Found a decent transcription of the piano of the main Double Trouble Concert Arrangement for HP3 End Credits.. Impressively he even manages to get the bit that was missed on the OST.

Williams usually writes new music while sitting at the piano. I can imagine him playing it like this....

4 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

I asked the exact same question a month ago! 😂 

Williams usually writes new music while sitting at the piano. I can imagine him playing it like this....

Damn I’d love to hear some of the first pieces Williams played on piano for these scores.

6 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

Damn I’d love to hear some of the first pieces Williams played on piano for these scores.

Like this. I think this is one of the most fascinating and somehow heartwarming footages of John Williams... The consummate master of technique and artistry at work! :)

10 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Like this. I think this is one of the most fascinating and somehow heartwarming footages of John Williams... The consummate master of technique and artistry at work! :)

Yes! I love this footage!

15 minutes ago, Alex said:

JW playing Quidditch Third Year on piano 

4BFBED3F-9DFE-4E71-B8C2-281D979857F0.gif

Are you saying John Williams plays piano with his beard?

11 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Now I've seen the elusive Shawm source mentioned so many times that I've just got to ask: what the hell is it?!?

I now know what it is, but I still don't know what it means.

What does the word "Shawm" mean? Was it given this title by Williams himself? Why? What does it mean?

5 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

I now know what it is, but I still don't know what it means.

What does the word "Shawm" mean? Was it given this title by Williams himself? Why? What does it mean?

It's the name of the renaissance-era wind instrument that plays the cue.

Edit: Beaten to it!

2 minutes ago, DolceMecha said:

It's the name of the renaissance-era wind instrument that plays the cue.

Was the title given by JW? Or are we just calling it that?

10 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

I’d be fascinated to learn why so many original cues in PoA went unrecorded (or unincluded on the set). Remembering Mother, Great Hall Ceiling, the first part of A New Broomstick etc... I’m guessing it has something to do with the fact that Williams was writing to the wrong cut of the film and they didn’t record them at all. Was this illuminated in previous discussions here? 

I think you're probably right about A New Broomstick because in the sheet music, there's this really weird, boring/unsettling clarinet part that just doesn't seem to fit in the scene anywhere.

Interesting. I didn’t even know the sheet music had leaked before this set was announced. Is there really many alternate/unused/unrecorded cues?

A Winter’s Spell is my most played track of the set (on iTunes, though). It’s mostly because I heard it a lot during the Christmas holidays, but I really think it’s a great melody with hilarious lyrics. And a very authentic recording, it really sounds like street choir. Williams is the master of source cues.

4 hours ago, Alex said:

Of course not, that would be ridiculous! I’m suggested he sprouts tentacles and plays the piano with them.

Oooh very Cthulhu! I like it.

12 hours ago, crumbs said:

At least half a dozen further alternates that aren't on the LLL set for whatever reason (whether because someone prevented them from being included, or they weren't recorded in the first place, is not clear).

Off the top of my head:

• Alternate version of 3m10 Remembering Mother
  • Alternate version of The Great Hall Ceiling, 3mE (which I believe is different to the Big Doors alternate, 3m11A)
  • Alternate opening for 4m3+4 Woods Walk
  • Alternate opening for 6m4 Sirius and Harry
  • Original version of 6m5 First Frozen Lake
  • String Overlay for 7m2 My Dad Conjured the Patronus (Williams' first revision for the werewolf chase, before they went with the Grievous-esque percussion)
  • Original version of 7m7 Whomping Willow Revisited
  • An alternate of 1m4 Aunt Marge Points the Finger (I believe the final film version is 1m4x)

They simply were not recorded; hence, they are not in the set.

At the very least, the original "Aunt Marge Points the Finger" was recorded; it's heard in the DVD special features. What makes you say that the others weren't recorded? (I have no idea if they were or not; just curious what your thought process is.)

27 minutes ago, Datameister said:

At the very least, the original "Aunt Marge Points the Finger" was recorded; it's heard in the DVD special features. What makes you say that the others weren't recorded? (I have no idea if they were or not; just curious what your thought process is.)

Where's that? I went looking for it, but it sounded just like the same one we already have on LLL.